Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:38 am 

Thoughts on selling the bumper stops? :)

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 pm 

Welcome Tristin

My son had a similar fuel problem in his 510. I turned out to be some foreign matter in the fuel tank partially blocking the fuel line. Blowing back from the fuel pump would clear the line until the next time it found its way back into the line. Drained the fuel tank and the problem literally drained away.

Another "slow to gain speed issue" could be with the kickdown linkage between your accelerator link and the auto trans. My only auto would not kick down into low gear, as the linkage adjustment was way out. (Replacing the auto with a 5 speed stick shift fixed a lot of little issues.) Quieter to drive, less fuel burn, much faster acceleration, and lower revs at cruising speed - nearly 1000RPM lower at 60MPH.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:57 pm 

I can try blowing down the lines tomorrow while I have it in the shop. I just started working for a friend of mine at his shop, so while Im down there I can see about clearing out the lines. Im going to be seeing about a new hose as well.

I know most people hate the auto trans so much, but Id like to keep it if I could. Im not out for ginormous power numbers to the wheels, as I want it to be a fun daily. Plus, keeping it auto would maintain more original equipment which is my priority.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:55 am 

So I started working at a local tuner shop ran by a friend of mine. The benefits are that I now have access to high quality tools, a lift, and space to take the car apart if needed for the project (I live in an apartment).

Last night was a late night in the shop waiting on a local parts store to send over a rear main seal for a customers car. Anyway, after that ordeal we threw my car up on the lift and took care of installing some of the parts I had been hoarding for the last month or two. We installed a set of Troy Ermish front coilovers on 280zx struts and brakes, stainless brake lines, and Aero 13x7 +0 rims with the slightly stretched 155/80s on them. I wish the rubbers were 155/55 or 65s, but I already owned them so it will have to do until they wear out. Then I can buy something with a little better sidewall profile. I had some issues with the drivers side 280 caliper as the stainless line wouldnt thread into it. It seems like the first two threads were stripped slightly so after a little manipulation we got it sorted out and fitted right.

Everything else went pretty smoothly. Adjusted the coilovers to a height I liked and took the car off the lift. Turns out it wasnt low enough... so it needed moar loar. Dropped it down another couple inches to a better height. Now the car has a bit of a rake to it. Unfortunately with the rears being so soft and the extra inch of rim I added, the tires rub if theres even a moderate amount of weight in the back. Theres no way I could even carry a single person in the rear with the way it sits right now. Even 70lbs make the rears rub. So now Im on the hunt for a good setup to fix the rear. Any ideas?

Anyway, here are some pictures:

New rims on stock suspension and height
[ img ]

Side poke on stock suspension and height
[ img ]

Stock suspension
[ img ]

280zx suspension
[ img ]

Side poke on 280zx suspension and lowered height
[ img ]

New rims with lowered height
[ img ]

Profile view to include all new parts installed and front lowered
[ img ]

When I ordered the rims, I ordered a set that were completely black without the yellow stripe and for whatever reason those were the ones that showed up. Unfortunately, I didnt open the box until I went to mount and balance the tires so I didnt notice. The Aero logos on the rims are stickers so Im just going to Goo Gone them ro remove them, but Im not 100% sure what I want to do about the thin yellow line. I still have to completely refinish the stock bullseye hubcaps before I mount them to see how they look. So far I really like just these (with the exception of the yellow). I want to thank Paul for all the suspension components I picked up. They were in great condition and worked out phenomenally.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:57 pm 

tristinGrind wrote:
While surfing the net I stumbled upon a picture that got me thinking. Ive never seen a vinyl roofed 510 that looked any good because they were all work tattered original pieces. I finally saw this:

[ img ]

Looking over the other pictures available on this car, man oh man... its clean as hell. Now this car is a '69 so I wont break my rule of try to keep it period or model correct (hence trying to keep my white walls) and I think it will just give it that little bit extra. What does everyone think? Yes or no on the vinyl top? I think if done correctly it can come out looking great... vinyl tops were the sh*t back in the day. Thoughts?
Do you have anymore info on this car? a link to some more photos.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:25 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

heres a build thread on
the510realm.com
link
http://the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21550

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 pm 

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Rear lowering springs , new rear shocks to replace the blown ones, and a bit of a roll. We didnt think the drop would be as significant so we didnt expenct to have to roll the fenders today... well it was required otherwise the car wouldnt drive. Whipped out the bat for a small roll until the Fender Roller we odered shows up and smoother out the lip a little. It still needs a bit of work to be perfect, but we will use the actuall roller for that. Im going to drop the front down another inch since it is now higher than the rear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:57 pm 

Hey Tristin don't worry about the derogatory remark. Good work! I really like the zx coilover job and your 510 is absolutely mint!! The dog on the other hand, well i think the harness is abit much! keep it up like your finger.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:18 pm 

Thanks man! Haha I rock the harness so that shes not chocked while shes on the leash.

*I just noticed that some of my image links are broken. On to fixing them!
EDIT: Fixed!!!! All pictures are now viewable again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:08 pm 

Did a little to the car before heading down to Elma for WildRose's birthday BBQ. It was gorgeous outside today so Im hoping it stays that way for tomorrow... Anyway, this arrived yesterday:

[ img ]

Which turned into this:

[ img ]

Which turned into this:

[ img ]

And this:

[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:00 pm 

On the way to the shop with the new tires:

[ img ]

What my front tires looked like before:

[ img ]

What my front tires look like now:

[ img ]

2sec iPhone photo. Nothing fancy, just the side profile:

[ img ]

2sec. iPhone photo. Nothing fancy, just a 3/4 shot.

[ img ]

Overall Im super happy with the rims, but Im going to need to switch the tires around; the front on the rear and the rears on the front. As you can see, the rears are a bit smaller than the fronts so Im going to need to fix that. This was my only option getting tires so quickly because of the blowout. Ill probably swap them around this weekend maybe.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:01 pm 

A few more pictures:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Theres a mini car show tomorrow at my boss' technical college so were going to roll over to that during the day. Ill be driving the 510 over and hes going to take out 2JZ swapped drift 240sx. Im going to be showing up to the shop early and will be doing a mini polish on SSR lips. Im cleaning up the hardware right now as we speak. Luckily the rims are a welded 3-piece so I think its safe to run without hardware for a day.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:43 pm 

looks awesome, much better than the old rims. The green paint/gold rims goes really well together.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 pm 

the rims are sick and like to see some other dattos run the tail lights and THE GRILL looks SICK

prev rides:
1970 datsun 1600 wp510 project SOLD
1969 datsun 1600: SIMS metal
1984 KE70 corolla:defected/crushed
1985 KE70 corolla:SOLD
1982 KE70 4AGE drift pig SOLD
1978 120Y wagon SOLD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:22 am 

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, Im much happier with these rims than the Aeros. Depending on the weather up here, Ill only switch back to them for that period of time. Otherwise Ill be keeping these on there.

You dont see too many Safari grilles running around... and actually Friday (hopefully) I will be switching this grille out for another one lol.