Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:49 am 

August 26 2012:

In light of wanting to eventually widen a set of steels for this, I've borrowed a couple of 14x8 -10 offset 12 slots (lolololol) from drftnmaz/Todd... and the result is as follows.

[ img ]
IMG_3966 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_3956 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

The tyres are a 195/60/14 and fit damn near perfectly, still large enough to keep the car driveable also. The rears are rubbing full time on the guard lips, so I'm thinking a touch less offset (maybe run 0) and I'll be home dry, with a safe fitment that'll mean zero rubbing issues after having the guards rolled.

September 05 2012:

Car's all welded now, the sills are super solid and shouldn't trouble me again for the duration of ownership. They're currently in primer, but will be dropping the car in to our mate Grant at GT Refinishers for a lick of paint (just a touch up, not bothering to paint full panels as it's patchy anyway....)

[ img ]
IMG_5997 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_6002 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_6007 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Looking haggard as with it's curse word primer patches...

Secondly, I picked up some new wheels several weeks ago, from "frosty" en route back from Palmerston North. Enkei "5 spoke" in a super modest 14x6 +10 offset. The only size they come in... Shades of Astro Supreme/Hustler/Cragar etc, for a bit of a Mooneyes Japan influence. Plan with the wheels is to get dipped, polish the lip up to a mirror finish and spray the rest a bright silver. Have a full complement of centre caps coming by way of our favourite ex-pat Kiwi in Japan, Ewan of Hayatonka fame. May team them up with some half headlight covers or something, for an alternate "look." Either way, not bad for $50...

[ img ]
IMG_6015 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

And finally, thanks to Simon and his closing down wrecker discovery post, I contacted the wrecker in question and scored this early spec 240C grille, which is much simpler than the fussy stock item. Some minor alterations will be needed to the grille, to get it to fit but it should be pretty straightforward.
[ img ]
IMG_6030 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_6027 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

With regards to wide steels, I had a bit of a rush of blood to the head, and called Elite wheels in Chch... subsequently ordering a set of 15x8 centerless bands, that I'm able to weld a 14" center into. So the aformentioned XA Falcon steel wheel centers, will be stitched into the bands, and I'll run a small XA cone style chrome hubcap to finish it off. Offset will be somewhere around -5.

October 30 2012

Rust work finished and painted.
Rebuilt brake master cylinder.
Rebuilt brake slave cylinders.
Fluid flush and bleed (with much cursing trying to bleed the M/C).
New sticker on the windscreen with an expiry date of 30/04/2013.

November 14 2012
Enkei wheels partway through restoration, lips all polished to a mirror shine by the fine folk at Aywun Metal Polishers in Henderson - cheap rates, great work and quick turnaround. Win. Should be getting a coat of paint this weekend, by which time they'll be 95% finished with just the centercaps to tidy up to complete.

[ img ]
IMG_3651 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_3652 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_3654 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

One lip is pitted beyond saving, so sadly up close looks a little haggard... however from a short distance the pitting is imperceptible, so it'll do for the time being.

Initial tyre plans will be the whitewalls as the car sits on now. Future Richy would like to be rolling on a set of some form of raised white letter tyres. Budget wise though, these seem to be retardedly expensive.

November 23 2012

Whoa whoa whoa whoa what is this? An update? Sorta...

[ img ]
IMG_4001 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_3998 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Nice way to unwind after work at the very least.

November 27 2012

No words. Aside from a hearty thanks to Levi who painted these in a pleasant shade of bright silver for me.

[ img ]
IMG_4011 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_4008 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_4013 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_4006 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:09 pm 

Dayummmmmn!

Those Enkeis are definitely a classic for the H230!

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 pm 

Those rims look fantastic. Great work.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:28 pm 

:cheers i'm falling for these... once my 610 coupe is finnish restoring i'm going to buy!There have been a couple of rippers come up lately and even a great coupe.... been tempted to buy but dont have room... could always put into storage for a year or two.... hmmm like your pride mate... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm 

Dont be too bummed on the primer patches, they look better than the rust that was there before :thumbsup:

And those wheels....................man those wheels.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I love everything!!! :D

...especially the way you photograph. Awesome at every level!! :hail:

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:00 pm 

Thanks all! I am beside myself with satisfaction at how well the wheels came up! I've had the whitewalls fitted to them now, and they're on the car, unfortunately due to super rubbish weather I can't get out to snap some decent shots of how they look but fingers crossed tomorrow brings clear weather so I can go for a leisurely cruise for some pics.

AVQR31 - primer patches are now gone too! So she's looking great again for a summer of motoring.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:08 pm 

This is how we're looking thus far.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
This pic was shot by the most outstanding Aaron Mai, of Aaron Mai photography and Maiham Media notoriety. He's shot a great deal of excellent content from Japan, I recommend checking out his stuff... is on Facebook etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 pm 

If I ever get another Datsun it's definitely gonna be one of these :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:02 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

HOW...FREAKIN...COOL...IS...THAT...CAR...?

:thumbsup:

'Nissantiques - Join the Club'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 pm 

If I hadn't already frothed on oldschool.co.nz a few days ago when I saw those photos, I would definitely be frothing now. hahahaha

1999 GXE10

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:03 am 

Awesome :thumbsup:

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:12 pm 

I like this..................A LOT :hail:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:11 pm 

Cut and pastes from oldschool to bring this up to date:

04 March 2013

You may have been aware, I haven't posted any engine bay shots of this steed as yet... even though I've put some serious hours into cleaning it, as when I took possession of the car it pretty much had the entire road surface of Southland coating the under bonnet area. Well, it's always had a niggly oil leak from between the head and block, which has become worse as I've put more and more km on it (I've done almost 8000km in this thing during my ownership which I think isn't too bad for a weekender!).

On Friday evening, with the help of two certified Datsun fiends, Shannon (shandawg) and Craig (vegie) we embarked upon the mission to remove the head and rectify this problem. As the valve stem seals are also a bit worse for wear, I figured a complete top end recondition was in order. Here's a pic of the engine sans rocker cover, air cleaner and various other things so this post has visual impact:

[ img ]
IMG_3506 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Some problems were encountered. Not least of which, was the head bolts being secured with some kind of loctitey/shellac spec goo. All bar one came out intact (although not without a fight) but the last one snapped, thankfully leaving almost an inch proud of the block. Fingers crossed I can chase the threads and clean them up appropriately to accept the ARP head studs I have just ordered... (more money... sigh).

The head has been dropped off to the lads at Taylor Automotive for the work, they come well recommended and also provided me with a written quote prior to undertaking any work.

Otherwise, plans include a thorough clean of the radiator, new timing gears, chain, guides and crank seal, new waterpump, some judicious cleaning and polishing of various engine bay parts to dress things up a bit.

Deadline is Leadfoot - this could prove problematic.

14 March 2013

Ok guys I'm trying to fix this alright.

Anyway, with the deadline looming, I still haven't had a finished head yet (turns out it needs new valve seats also....) and neither have the new head studs arrived.

But I have made some things a bit nicer to look at. Inlet manifold has been blasted, and coated with some good ol' VHT silver. Carb has had a minor strip and clean, and plated a few things as seen by the splash guard thing that sits beneath the carb.

[ img ]
IMG_4738 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_4739 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
IMG_4741 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

I've acquired a new timing set, which looks like this... there was a waterpump in the box as well, but that looks boring to be honest.

[ img ]
IMG_4744 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

And I also bought these off kicker a while ago, they can be a new restoration project in the works I think. 14x7 front and 14x8 rear. negative heaps. All going to plan I'll run a smaller tyre than I currently have on these.

[ img ]
IMG_4756 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

18 March 2013

Bit of the old shiny shiny

[ img ]
Shiny Cam Cover 2 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
Shiny Cam Cover 1 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Holy sh*t I just posted cellphone photos also. Kill me now.

Anyway in other news, hit the car again on the weekend, had the sump off, changed gasket, installed timing gear etc and cleaned up various gasket surfaces. The radiator is off at the radiator man having a new core installed - it appeared to be working ok, but it is falling apart and 40 years old so figured prevention is better than cure, and have bitten the bullet to recondition it. On the flipside that too, will look nice and fresh in the bay. Otherwise, it's just scrubbing to do until the head comes back, and the head studs get here. Should look the part in there come Nats weekend!

31 March 2013

So some productive productivity occured on this old thing today. Rolled out to Shannons workshop around 2pm to get cracking on the reassembly with Craig (vegie) rocking up shortly after to provide a knowledgable pair of L series savvy hands.

In addition to the parts specified above, I also ended up with essentially a new radiator (complete recore courtesy of North Shore Radiators) various seals and gaskets, and a brand spankers set of ARP head studs from the kind folk at Pro Parts in Napier (hit up Craig there for sweet deals and AMAZING service).

Step one was to scrape the old gasket from the block, as seen here with the ARP studs installed shortly after, to hand tight spec as per instructions.

[ img ]
2013-03-30 16.25.36 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

[ img ]
2013-03-30 16.26.13 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Those with eagle eyes will notice the front cover installed, which incidentally has been all cleaned up (not polished :P/>) and the new waterpump in place.

[ img ]
2013-03-30 16.36.49 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

The head, recipient of a complete recondition by the folks at Taylor Automotive - not the cheapest option but provided a written quote, stuck to it, and also pretty decent service. This head ended up with new seats, new stem seals and guides, as well as the usual clean, skim and pressure test. Apparently the valve springs were a bit soft - to be fair, this isn't a race motor so we'll be fine.

[ img ]
2013-03-30 17.25.14 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

The head in place, timing chain gear reinstalled and timed up correctly.

[ img ]
2013-03-30 21.04.43 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

This is the last shot I got - since then, the radiator has gone in, leads, dizzy cap and everything else installed and connected - about midnight we turned the key to see if it would bring up oil pressure.... oh no! The tell tale red light failed to cease illumination after several cranks. In the end, the call was made to pull the oil pump out (and the dizzy as they share the same drive) and prime it. With a further few cranks, the light went out. Following reconnection of the coil, the car cranked and started as per usual. Success! At this point I haven't got water in it, one of the small old braided hoses has cried enough so if anyone knows of a hose that reduces from 3/4" to 1/2" I am all ears as this is what I need.

Otherwise, happy. Apologies for the super sub par images. At this point I must extend my sincere thanks to both Shannon and Vegie for their help, I'd be **** without you jokers.

Hope to be rolling on Monday :)/> Bring on Nats.

Edit: also bought some new wheels. Again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:12 pm 

This makes me happy, but I assume you forgot to update the text since this is a month later? She running now with that hose sorted?

What did you mean oil hose? Not a coolant hose?

1999 GXE10