Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: FJ20ET idle control?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm 

I've just finished an FJ20ET conversion on the 1600. Seems to run and drive fine. BUT it won't idle for more than 10 seconds. I have narrowed it down to idle control valve. The loom was tagged "air slide" on the plug that goes to the valve that bolts to the block just under the inlet manifold.
Is that the idle control valve??
If so which end goes to the TB and manifold? Also is this how it's plumbed up?

I'll put a couple of pics up tonight of the valve to make it a bit clearer for you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Stu.

Post subject: Re: FJ20ET idle control?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:56 pm 
Guru

What ECU are you using?
The Air Regulator is indeed the valve underneath the inlet manifold and fastened to the block.
It bypasses the throttle body to allow more air into the manifold which is detected by the MAP sensor [after market ECU only] which causes extra fuel to be injected for cold starting.
The Regulator should be open when the engine is cold and progressively closes off as the electrical heater warms the bi-metal strip internal to the valve.
The heater MUST be operational for decent cold starting, so make sure it is connected to an Ignition 12V source and does in fact operate correctly.
For warm starting the engine block heat should keep the valve closed to prevent an enriched mixture.

Idle Control is achieved by a totally different method.
The stock system has an Idle By-pass screw mounted on the manifold.
After market ECU Idle Control can be achieved by adjusting the Throttle Stop screw to open the throttle butterfly valve slightly.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
FJ20 EFI Control System.jpg [ 221.79 KiB | Viewed 1872 times ]

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:34 pm 

:hail:
Thanks for the fast reply!!
I'm running the STD Nissan FJ abacus(not advanced enough to be called an ECU) to control this puppy. The previous owner of the engine bought it from EKW(jap engine wrecker in Vic) years ago. He had replaced the FJ TB for an XF falcon one and adapted the FJ tps to it. It has the idle screw thingy in the TB. So hopefully a play with that should fix the idle when warm. :thumbsup:

Now the air slide for cold start. It has a plug in the loom for it, but if it wasn't connected to either the loom or plumbed in at all could that cause a slightly rich idle?

Thanks for you info Graeme!! You have been a huge help!!

Stu.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:19 pm 
Guru

Running without the Air Regulator wouldn't cause a rich mixture I don't think, more likely it would make it a pig to start when cold.
The stock ECU has a plethora of whizzgigs to run the engine from cold and I wouldn't mind betting that you haven't got them fitted.
Unless you have a MAP sensor to replace all that claptrap, and an ECU to interpret the signals, the stock ECU is going to find it tough to perform properly.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:13 pm 

I`m still going to fit it i think. i`m not sure how long the STD ecu will stay. So it might stay for a while if i can get it happy. from the three wiring diagrams i have everything except the air slide is conected. I`ve got all the polution gear hooked up too.
I`ll try the airslide first then i`ll play with the idle air bypass and see what happens. I`ve got to get it right for wednesday as its booked for engineers.
Keep you all posted.

Thanks again!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:52 pm 

Sort of fixed. Spent ages fitting the air slide, only for it to cause some warm startup issues as i forgot to check it(waiting for the "I told you so" from nissanman). It ended up being from when I fitted the charcoal canister incorrectly. Was like it had a huge vacuum leak(but I didn't hear it hiss until today). So I'll disconnect the air slide tomorrow and see if that helps until dad forks out for a new ecu.
Thanks again nissanman!!

Stu.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:00 am 

graham, would you bother using the regulator valve with an aftermarket ecu? (Autronic SMC btw)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:29 am 
Guru

Well, I did.
I was using a Haltech F9 [Fuel only] at the time and the Air Reg. helped to get the cold starting sorted quickly.
The shop that mapped the ECU said it was a good idea to retain it :)
Nowadays you can use idle stepper motors and stuff but the F9 was not that sophisticated.

graemes@internode.on.net