Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:29 pm 

I decided to give my SSS steering wheel a freshen up. I have painted the metal arms etc. I used VHT quick coat primer and satin black. I didn't like the finish of the satin because it seemed to be easily scratched so i got some quick coat clear and sprayed it at a greater distance nah normal it made the satin have a little shine but i am happy with the result. I also decided to spray some plastic rear vent's in satin black also i used k&h bumper and trim satin black i think it will look awesome once i get my SSS rear vent badges :D

before
[ img ]

primer
[ img ]

after satin black and clear coat
[ img ]

before
[ img ]

after
[ img ]

Im still not sure if i want to put a clear over the rear vents or maybe plastic dip :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:01 am 

So i finally found a 69 dash i was only looking for 8 months haha. I will strip it down to fix everything. The glovebox door needs to be replaced and the glovebox inner is cracked as usual. Im going to attempt fibre glassing a glovebox inner and will now start the hunt for a door :D

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:44 pm 

Ok so I have been doing some rust repairs on my left hand sill it has a few bit of rust as usual.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4476.JPG [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 5055 times ]
I got a section cut out of a wreck to replace it on mine. I did the usual drill the spot weld out, sand/wire wheel the rust of the inside and rust convert with a built in primer/sealer
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4852.JPG [ 1.99 MiB | Viewed 5055 times ]

The section cut on my 69 lots of rust inside as usual. I used my sand blaster and blasted inside to remove the rust and dirt. I then rust converted and welded up the holes I could then primer over the top. I will be putting a large amount of fish oil or the wurth stuff inside once painted etc.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4886.JPG [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 5055 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:24 pm 

the section trimmed up ready for welding in
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4889.JPG [ 1.95 MiB | Viewed 5054 times ]
I have to replace the rear dog leg and some of the lower section of sill. I brought a rear dog leg from
APC it will require a trim down to the required shape I need. I will also buy a section of sill from them too. I will sandblast inside and rust convert/sealer-primer prior to welding in the new sections when ready. There was a lot of dirt and sh*t inside haha
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_4951.JPG [ 144.49 KiB | Viewed 5054 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5003.JPG [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 5054 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:42 pm 

The section I had to cut out. The inside from there up is fine which is good makes easy access now.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5011.JPG [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 5054 times ]

I will have to make a few patches inside to keep the double layers etc
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5047.JPG [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 5054 times ]

Replacement panel from APC (they are on ebay)
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5048.JPG [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 5054 times ]
I have been sandblasting/striping and painting parts of my 69 dash on the side as well. I have been experimenting with different black colour paints to try find a close to original match for the dash and other metal interior pieces. The best match by far is K & H bumper and trim satin black. I will post pictures of my dash once near completion.

I have also been rebuilding my collapsible steering column. I have stripped it down and its very basic. I would like to replace the bearings particularly the upper one as its loose and gritty but they are no longer available from Nissan so I have been trying to track some down through other means. Last resort will be removing them and going to a bearing shop to try find a replacement but no sure if I want to risk that lol. I was able to get new circlips from Nissan which was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:46 am 

Ok so I haven't made a update in a while haha. I still have been making progress though.

Rear vents with replica SSS badges
[ img ]

69 grille with replica SSS badge
[ img ]

SSS boot lid badge
[ img ]

69 SSS dash surround stripped for paint
[ img ]

69 dash frame and vent cover painted
[ img ]

69 bluebird glovebox lid badge. I am after a bluebird SSS badge if anyone has one :D
[ img ]
[ img ]

Ideally id like to get genuine badges but there doesn't seem to be many around. Although I think the replica ones look awesome

Last edited by butch510 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 am 

I also have gotten some chroming done, brought a mr enforcer inlet and plazaman tps for my sr20det, a PWR intercooler and some SSR desmond longchamp xrv 16inch wheels

chroming
[ img ]

mr enforcer inlet
[ img ]
[ img ]

PWR intercooler
[ img ]

SSR's
[ img ]
[ img ]

Cheer's Richard

Last edited by butch510 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:07 am 

I also sent my 1600 to lances auto restorations in shanes park. He did a awesome job and was very well priced, and knows datsuns very well :thumbsup: . After sand blasting the engine bay it was apparent that it had a front end smack so It went to get the front end straightened, holes welded up and some rust repairs. I ended up getting the front radiator support replaced and some more rust repairs up front fixed and it turned out awesome :D

On the way up to lances

[ img ]
[ img ]

Some pictures of the repairs
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited by butch510 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:16 am 

Some more pictures. Because the radiator support had been changed on a previous repair and not very well there was a nice gap....so lance replaced it properly and also replaced the passenger side forward wheel well.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

So after that it came home to have holes drilled that are required for the conversion although im now very hesitate to cut out the replaced radiator support for my intercooler.... haha, it will be going back to lances in the near future for both sill's to be replaced, some rust in the wiper cowl area and the engine bay to be painted I cant wait.

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited by butch510 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:55 pm 

Good to see you are doing it properly Butch.
Swing past the topic on here about strengthening the chassis, as now is the perfect time to do it. I suggest you do this as you will be installing a turbo motor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:23 pm 

Thanks mate, yeah im going to do everything properly on this build I don't know why people would want to cut corners. Do it properly the first time. The poor man always pays twice ( not saying im rich far from it that's why my project is taking a while haha). I have looked at the strengthening section a few times. Im not going to seam weld but I am installing the front a pillar section and the rear bracing between the rear strut towers, just waiting till I buy a after market fuel tank and get it mounted at the same time when the sills get replaced etc. ill be getting the wheel well removed too and will be getting a recess for the fuel tank to sit in.

So I have done a few more things.

- Fitted the datsport steering box brace
- Drilled the hole for the plms loom
- Drilled the holes for the datsport sr20 fitting kit crush tubes
- Drilled holes In the forward wheel wells and fitted bulk head fittings for the brake lines to go through
- Fitted the datsport brake booster in preparation for making brake lines
- I have been mucking around with the wilwood brake bias valve. I like where its mounted but I am trying to work out how best to move it of the inner guard for easier access to adjust it
- Painted the SSS dash surround ( still needs a touch up where it meets the chrome. ill need fine line tape)
- Bent up the stainless 1/2" fuel lines. The first one I made a bend in the wrong direction :oops: the second one turned out great
- Made mock up cupboard catch can and window washer bottle. ( if anyone has any other ideas for this please let me know :) )

69 SSS dash surround painted
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5359.JPG [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 4930 times ]
steering box brace, bias valve, crush tube holes, brake booster, washer bottle mock up and bulkhead fitting
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5965.JPG [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 4930 times ]
plms loom and catch can mock up
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5966.JPG [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 4930 times ]
Im also looking into a brake booster brace. I have found one in the USA but its for left hand drive and no hope of them making a righthand drive :( does anybody have any leads? failing that I may have to make one

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510/ ... datsun-510

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited by butch510 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:31 pm 

Brake booster brace:
Trent (Hailest on here) made one for his booster. I'm sure he could make one up for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:08 am 

Im surprised no one makes them. Yeah I have seen trent's it looks good. I might try to make one myself first. I'll look into it some more. If not ill have to harass trent lol.

I ended up rebuilding my steering column. The bearings are NLA from Nissan unfortunately but they are really easy to pull apart. First I had to pull the bearings from the shaft. I had to use a long arm puller for the lower bearing. The bearings have a c clip that holds the bearing together so I took that off (held it in a bucket) and cleaned the ball bearings and the housing, put it back together and repacked them with wheel bearing grease. I then got the shafts blasted and then a good coat of paint and reassembled. The column feels like new now so smooth was well worth the effort.

The next things on the to do list are

- Buy a 69 model heater of Mr Wormtail and refurbish
- Make a workbench ( need one at my new house haha)
- Bend up the brake lines and the other fuel line and mount them
- Rebuild the steering box ( I got a rebuild kit from datsport)
- Strip and paint brake and clutch box and arms and put back together
- Cut hole for the intercooler :shock:
- Fit FPR and make all the braided lines up
- Work out the washer bottle and catch can situation
- Fit up engine and work out if any more holes have to be made etc

Im also looking into the idea of running a engine oil cooler PWR seem to make a good one

picture of the one fuel line I got right haha
[ img ]

couple of pictures of the steering column I will take some more later.

After rebuild the top section
[ img ]

The rust before blasting :roll:
[ img ]

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited by butch510 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:15 am 

so jealous of your SSS dash :(

if you want your images to show up in the thread, copy the "direct" link on your photobucket, then paste them here like this...

[img]
insert link here
[/img]

except all in one line. I can't show it like that because it plays funny buggers and thinks I'm trying to post a picture.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:13 pm 

The SSS dash cost me that's for sure haha. OK cheers mate ill try it.

Cheers,

Richard

[ img ]