Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:33 am 

Well im building up my loom and i plan on hopefully having the engine run in closed loop in the end so will need a O2 sensor.

I have a CA18DET loom and ECU which i got off the same person but may or may not match each other. The loom may be a DE loom.

The loom has the provision for a single wire sensor which would be placed up near the collector or in headers (gets hot fast doesn't require a heater).
But seeing as im chopping changing and adding stuff i can add in the wire to the ECU for the heated O2 output and a ignition feed which would then allow me to run a 3wire heated O2 sensor. Is there any benefit to this.

Only reason im asking is from what i can tell the CA18DE use a single wire and the DET from what i can tell uses a 3 wire.

Will the 3 wire be more suited to the CA18DET ecu or will a single wire up in the dump pipe do the job just fine?

Brett

Present:
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My Standard Car)
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My SR20DET 6Spd Car)
KP710 140J Delux (New Road Car)
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:35 pm 
Old Digger

1 wire as you said takes time to warm up. DET's can run a tad on the rich side anyway so I'd go for a 3 wire heated item so the ECU can adjust the mixtures straight away. All you need to do is wire it in with the ECCS power feed or relay and into a common ground in the loom. This is how they are wired from the factory. How do I know? I rewired my whole loom before when I did my CA conversion. Also a DE ECU can be reflashed as a DET ECU.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:35 pm 

Are you sure.
Pin 115 on a CA18DET ECU is o2sensor heater out put. The other wire is a sensor wire pin 29 and the other wire is from an ignition source i thought.

I could be wrong. I figure the ECU was a switched earth for the O2 sensor rather a common earth and a +ve feed from the ECU relay. That would still work obviously.

Basicllly though i think i will run the extra wires and move the sensor down the exhaust a bit. Keeps wires away from hot things to.

Present:
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:42 pm 
Old Digger

Pretty sure thats how mine was wired from factory. Also make sure you crimp the O2 send wire to ecu. Do not solder it. It will give all types of sh*t readings otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:14 pm 

Yea i leaned about the solder thing when i replaced the 02 sensor on my primera wagon. Its a shame cos i don't like crimps to big and bulky big fan of solder and heat-shrink look so much nicer.

But hey a few crimps won't hurt.

Present:
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:50 am 

i don't get the crimping bit.... what could go wrong with solder? (as long as it is kept away from heat)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:30 pm 

Im not totally sure on the crimp vs Solder parts but i know on th new O2 sensor i brought form my P11 primera it came with crimps and specifically said MUST NOT SOLDER joints. So i just took it as gospel maybe the soldering gives to inconsistent current transfer.

Present:
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

From what ive read someones mentioned the wires are possibly made of an odd metal and arnt easy to solder, the other reason is that the newer o2 sensors apparently get a reference air signal through the wiring (loom?) somehow and if you block this with solder and heatshrink it, it will effect the o2 sensor reading. Old o2 sensors had small holes in the actual sensor but got blocked easily with crud hence the change in design. Can someone verify this?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:19 pm 

"From what ive read someones mentioned the wires are possibly made of an odd metal and arnt easy to solder, the other reason is that the newer o2 sensors apparently get a reference air signal through the wiring (loom?) somehow and if you block this with solder and heatshrink it, it will effect the o2 sensor reading."

makes sense,