Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:32 pm 

Now my understanding of injectors is

Low impedance = 2-3ohms
High Impedance = 12-13ohms.

The CA18DE injectors i have now measure 13.7ohms

I plan on swapping to some larger low impedance injectors either CA18DET or Evo 1-3 injectors as they are cheap.
Now i'll need to run a resistor pack and i have one all ready to go. Its from a L18E it measures 6.7ohms

Nows heres what im worried about if the low impedance injectors are say 3ohms and my resistor pack is 6.7ohms wouldn't this mean that basically each circuit is 9.7ohms. Much lower than a high impedance injector. Is this likely to cause an insure and overheat my injector drivers.

Are all resistor packs basically the same or are there ones with different resistance levels?

Any advice much appreciated.
Brett

Present:
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My Standard Car)
KP710 160JSSS Coupe (My SR20DET 6Spd Car)
KP710 140J Delux (New Road Car)
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:13 am 

Hi mate. Still having injector dramas are you.

I'm not certain for sure about all oem resister packs but i would assume mr Nissan would have kept a similar type of resistor capable of a multitude of applications. So that being said one would think you could get away with using any of the same era resistor packs as the injectors and have it work perfectly fine.

However if for say you wish to dial in a more accurate reading to maximize the ecus driver capabilities. An aftermarket porcelain resistor can be bought. Plenty of online stores out there, rs warehouse, Jaycar. Etc.

Looking back at my z18et looms there was on one loom a complete oem resistor pack and the another an aftermarket set of resistors. They were physically different but worked exactly the same.

I would be inclined to source an appropriate set of resistors to suit the injectors and go that way. At least it would return it back to some form of normality.

Also on the flipside. The less of an ohm calc you've done wouldn't hurt the drivers as they are buffered to handle abnormalities. Albeit running slightly hotter or cooler. Wouldn't affect they're performance or lifespan that much to worry about.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:32 am 

Yea basically what i want to know is will the say 2-3ohms of Mitsubishi injectors plus my injector pack of 6.8ohms be ok with a CA18DET ECU.

Im not sure what the resistance of the factory CA18DET resistor pack is and the resistance of the CA18DET injectors as i don't have them here to measure and thats what i really need to know so i can work out if im in the ball park of the same level of resistance.
If i new what total resistance was required by the CA18DET ecu im using that would be great.

All i do know is is that CA18DE injectors are 13.7ohms as i have some of them here. (which means that the injector drivers in the ECU must require around this much resistance)

Its not some much that im having dramas its just trying to educate myself so i don't make a costly mistake and fry my ECU.

Present:
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:59 am 

From what i can tell on the internet and its hard to find solid information.
CA18DET dropping resistor is 6.3ohms so mine at 6.7ohms should be fine (in comparison to the CA18DET one eg use of CA18DET injectors (expensive)).

CA18DET injectors 2-3ohms so a total of round say 9.3ohms (internet information not measured myself unfortunately)
I find this interesting as the CA18DE setup is designed for a 13.7ohm resistance, So it would seem that the CA18DET ECU is designed for lower total resistance values.

Now i just need to find the actual resistance values of the EVO injectors and i should be set so long as they are with in the range of 2-3ohms like the CA18DET ones then all should be well when using my CA18DET ECU.

Brett

Present:
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:36 am 

Not sure if the ca ecus are designed the same as the vg ecus but when the vg guys go changing there injectors (turbo or non turbo) they use a different K value within the ecus program. This would lead me to believe the ecus are variable within its operating ability, but if you cant tweak the code, you have to make it work via a change in physical line resistance.

Now out of the box the DE or DET ecu will automatically have these different K values to suit high or low impedance injectors. For the vg ecus the NA ecus are programed to run high where as the TT, run low. (iirc)

So with this theory, if the CA ecus follow a similar suit, running the evo injectors should be fine.

Ive got a zed mate thats playing with evos atm, so ill ask him to test the resistance of the injectors and report back.

Theres something to be said about high flowing injectors where they follow a trend of being low impedance (mostly, oem), i remember reading somewhere that it was to allow for a more accurate flow control rate. As we all know high flow injectors can make some engines hard to idle and having a low independence injector allows the ecu to control the pulse rate more smoothly. Compared to a high impedance injector, the pulse rate is more erratic at which can be hard to chase when tuning. Or something to that degree. Will have to find the article again.

Anyways, ill see what i can find out for you.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:56 am 
Old Digger

You'll be fine. Any difference up to 1 ohm will run perfectly fine. The idle quality may change ever so slightly but this can be fixed with the injector latency if you'er are doing a remap anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:56 pm 

Yea will be doing a remap with a chipped ECU and im sure the K values can be changed on a chipped ECU. Well they can in a SR20VE ecu.

Im pretty sure its all going to work out fine. As i'll be chasing very similar resistance values to stock by the look of it.
Now i have to track down some EVO injectors or VR4 injectors.

Thanks for your help. If your mate can get thoes injectors tested that would be great though just as a double check before i buy some for myself.

Brett

Present:
KP710 Parts POS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:53 pm 
Old Digger

What about GTIR or GTR injectors? Cheap and have enough flow for a bit over 200 rwkws. Bump the pressure up and you should be able to get a bit more out of them.

Yes K value and latency is fully adjustable in the CA MEC-Dxxxx ECU's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:41 am 

I'll look into Gtir and GTR injectors but they arn't as readily available as VR4 or Evo injectors over here in NZ.
If i wanted to i could buy 10sets of EVO injectors on trademe for under $300 a set right now. Yet there are no Gtir injectors listed and only 1 lot of GTR injectors
510cc Evo injectors sale for round $120-$150/set.
I'll keep an eye out for something that fits the bill. With Xmas just round the corner i need to curb my car spending a little right now anyway.

Present:
KP710 Parts POS