Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:27 pm 

Has anybody here managed to remove the factory front speaker in a 180B? I have no idea as to how to get to it. The manual makes it look very simple, just remove two nuts and it drops out. Impossible. It's just too awkward. Looks like you would have to remove the entire front dash.

It looks like a 6x9 (but with strange mounting) and just want to make sure of this as I have some Rockford 6x9s and would like to mount one under there. I can't tell if its smaller than the ones I have.

Driving me insane. Any info appreciated :D.

Pics if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:01 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

If its like a 1600 you will have to remove the duct/flap from above the heater that attaches to the firewall at the very least.
Check this thread out about 2/3rds down the page for ideas:

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:43 pm 

Hmm, yeah. It looks like the factory set speaker is very low profile also as mine have the tower tweeters on top and I doubt that even if i got my originals out, my new ones wouldn't fit anyway :\.

Well, if they don't let me return them, I'm sure they will be advertised for sale soon :P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:20 am 

I've done the front speaker in my 200B, but it's a very tight fit. It's not a 6x9 in a 200B, it's slightly smaller. I think it's 5x7 or something.

It works ok, but the magnet is pressing up against the back of the radio now, and the dash was a bit harder to bolt back in. Still, I didn't break anything and it sounds a bit better than a 30 year old paper speaker.

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:20 pm 

How did you get it out?

The manual says its held in by two nuts on the underside (the flat square type) which I can not get any tools near. I'm thinking the screw heads should be under the dash plate. Will be pretty difficult with those nuts on it.

If I get it out I'll use the threaded clips that slot over speaker mount holes so I can just screw it in from up top.

Also, the speaker in a 180B is offset above the glove-box so it wont interfere with the radio.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 am 

Remember that the centre speaker is only receiving a measly few watts from the source (radio). Replacing the std speaker with much larger, beefier, power hungry speaker will achieve little unless you amplify them to give more power.

Of course, the centre speaker is also poorly located to achieve good sound in any case.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:53 am 

make a couple of small mdf boxes to fit on the parcel shelves under the dash and use 4" speakers :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:50 pm 

i pulled a bf falcon speaker from a door there are smaller than a 6x9 it might fit but it may be deaper is it stock radio or cd?
it is 5x7x 2.3 deep