Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:45 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

+2, nothing worse than autometer gauges arrgh, especially when someone murders a sss 1600 dash to fit them.
make me cringe the same, as when i see a butcherd datsun grill to fit a gigantic intercooler.

some of those gauges in the classicintruments site are much more suited

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:17 pm 

At some stage I'm going to attempt to cut and shut some 240K gauges into a 200B instrument cluster. As far a I can tell, the only problem with this is that I won't be able to reset the trip.

Still can't work out how to get the 240K needles off without breaking them though...

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:51 pm 
Guru

Try this :idea:
Use a kitchen fork, slip it under the needle hub and rock it on its curve to press the needle off from underneath :thumbsup:
NO GUARANTEES :!:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:34 pm 

i use autometer procomp gauges and love them my tacho is 100 rpm out of what the computer reads i put this down to being analog i would reccomend them

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:59 pm 

no one has mentioned 'smiths gauges' yet. google it. look like forum jockeys gauges (by the way, that setup is just effing sexual dude)

nice old skool style gauges with chrome bezels. ususally used in american hot rods

i am also against ppl ruining a dato dash with a sea of autometer crap. however, the 1600 i puchased came with a vdo 'semi' monster tacho, with a plain old red led shift light on the dial face and and the recall fucntion panel on the side. always wanted one like that, so i think i'll keep it considering i want to do a lot of 1/4 mile work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:30 am 

My old man totally agrees on the smiths industries gauges, he reckons they always were and always will be the toughest and most accurate gauges in the world, apparently they were also aligned with nippon denso and deisel kiki and for those that really know jap engineering they will appreciate just how accurate they would have to be to pass their QC. Dad used only smiths gauges in all his builds whether it was for his drag beasts, or for the wow factor in the show,shine and dream cars,he was a bit dissapointed when they went from analog to digital, but hey thats progress

check these out this is where he used to get them http://www.derek.com.au/smithsgauges.html

think i might like a 300kph speedo and a 10,000rpm tacho lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:56 am 

I have Autometer sport comp in my car and they all seem to be spot on,the boost gauge is even right with my eboost and the tacho is right with my laptop pluged into the Motec.
As for gauges in 1600 and cutting up sss dash each to there own but i think mine looks ok.
Also serves well

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
11259_184975224729_718784729_2774967_6493114_n.jpg [ 71.39 KiB | Viewed 1261 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:01 pm 

Is speco really anything worth while?

I know they're cheaper and all, but for the interim ive been using a Speco sports series boost/vac gauge and its performed ok.

Holds boost pressure accurately, and mostly vacuum too, however anything over 10-13 HG it stops registering.

Are they worth the money? Or would you spend some more and aim towards a VDO gauge.

I want a black face non intrusive gauge that i can hide inside the stock cluster arrangement. Also im only seeing 10 psi. So nothing hectic.

Any ideas, advice?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:41 pm 

VDO should be good for what you want.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:03 pm 

I was thinking along those lines. VDO was no.1 on my list.

Whats the cheapest place to get them. Ive seen numerous places that sell them, but highly marked up.

Whats the going rate for a basic, boost gauge.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:13 pm 

I dont really mind all types of guages, they all serve there intended purposes in certain styles of cars/interior designs. I dont mind autometer guages, ive got onto a complete set of the phantom series guages (including speedo and tacho) for a steal price. So may go with them. If that fails ill be going for a complete stewart warner setup, just to get away from the norm a little.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:39 pm 

instead of starting a new thread, thought i might ask ppl to start posting pics of where you're gonna mount your gauges. ive reached a wall, and dont know where to mount mine.
im not making a sheet metal dash because i wanna keep factory look, not mounting outside behind plenum, and not spending 600 on a jdm dash fascia off ebay. any pics for ideas would be nice :)

oh, and listing what size gauges you're using would be just splendid :giggle:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm 

im thinking about buying one of these https://www.parecomposites.com/view_par ... re-147.jpg

and mounting the gauges on that and any switches etc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:02 am 

what gauges? you could create a centre pod like newer cars have 'top centre' of dash... maybe find an old split dash pad and start from there, modify and retrim.
hmmm, just came up with that idea, might muck around with my spare dash pad :P

some people mount them on a 3 gauge bracket under the radio, bolted to the dash frame. not sure on vision there, but depends on what you're looking at, needing to keep an eye on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:53 am 

Red510 wrote:
you could create a centre pod like newer cars have 'top centre' of dash... maybe find an old split dash pad and start from there, modify and retrim.
hmmm, just came up with that idea, might muck around with my spare dash pad :P
Hmm nice idea Red510 ;-) Surely someone has a pic of this done already?