Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: demister
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:57 pm 

i have a 1600 i got it for $500 i have restored it and put a sr20det and the poor thing has been through the wars it doesnt have a heater box any ideas or suggestions on a demister? thanks....

Post subject: Re: demister
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:36 pm 

front screen i assume... first things first, a heater box and fan... to demist
there has been discussion as to fitting a heater box from another car... you could try 2nd hand 1600, or early model datsun/nissan, or retrofit something from a newer car.

if it's a rear demister, there are kits you can buy and stick on the strips on the rear screen.. not sure of their quality or performance..

i seriously think if people can find a rusted out old 1600 just for those hard to get bits, it's worth every cent... panels can be repaired, or bought in fibreglass, trim can be retrimmed, but dashes, heaters, taillights, etc. etc... buy a banger, strip it for spares and bless ye olde shell to Datsun heaven, or advertise it on ozdat as a free giveaway.. there might be a good panel or two left in it for a rally car, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:51 pm 

haha yeah front screen it is haha.. iv heard of electric fans?? just unsure i have only dummy fitted the sr20 so i can do this sorta stuff thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:52 pm 

depending on what you're looking for, if you want the original look, put up a wanted ad for a heater box and all the necessary vent tubes and get the fan motor rewound so it has some speed to it
OR
fit something else in, make up some vent tubing up to the dash vents and you should be all good...

any (if not all) heater fans are electric, you just need the tubing to run from the heater box to the dash vents to blow on the screen... and enough 'oomph' in the heater fan to do it's job.
i have memories of driving with my head out the window to see where i was going.... fun times....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:16 pm 

been a few questions like this in fast fours, street machine etc. one consistent reply was using hairdryers. May sound silly, but it does have it's pros... will have sufficient balls to demist screen, cheap, can then delete oem heater box leaving more space for legs or custom console etc, will pass rego/engineer etc. all they wanna see is that what you use actually works and is safe.

cons...need transformer to allow dryers to run on 12V DC (so more wiring under already cramped dash, plus more wire and switches to run), would be bloody noisey LOL, might forget they are on from too busy enjoying boost and tunes - melt ducting, may even cause fire.

street machine suggested a few hot rod companies that make custom electric demisters. i'm looking into that. whether they are effective or not is by trial and error unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:19 pm 
Guru

FDA have this on their site: -
http://www.fdrive.com.au/products/03/f58.php
[ img ]
Make sure you have a healthy battery and alternator :thumbsup:

Various ducts and grilles are available.
Personally I like the idea of a heater independent of the engine cooling system, for those cold nights at the Drive In :giggle: :giggle:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:44 pm 
Guru

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Datsun-1600-heat ... 3a5d6091bd

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:01 pm 

my mate ran hair dryers in his 1200 and worked fine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:55 pm 

Just installed 2 x 12v hairdryer/demisters into my 1600 which are available from Whitworths boating supply shops. They demist but are very noisy & smell like their running right on their limit.

Can feel a major melt down coming on, but can't expect much for $20 a piece. Now just gotta invest in a fire extinguisher!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:48 pm 

how do you think maybe 2 of these would go? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180718803065 ... 1423.l2649 but hard wired into a switch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:02 am 

Thought I might bump this thread back up... Has anyone installed an electric demister for rear screen? The rear screen fogging up used to drive me nuts in cold mornings driving to work.

BTW...mad dat has an electric demister for front screen on their website, under what's new.