Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:14 pm 

Well here goes... I've been shopping around since around October last year. I bought a 1600 from dnsv1600 here on ozdat, stripped it back some and decided to start looking for a better shell.
I knew it was rusty when I bought it, but it had some good parts to it, so was worth buying.

I bought another one last week that had panel/paint done about 3 years ago, it's straight, it's not full of putty, and has some minor rust here and there. It has a fibreglass bonnet, fenders and boot lid, so no rust to worry about there! :)

I bought it without the motor that it was for sale with for two reasons, one, it had a spun bearing and was in pieces, secondly, I wanted to go for an SR purely because I've had the L, Z, FJ in the past and wanted to go the SR for something different.

Here are the pics from the for sale ad.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
1600_1.jpg [ 38.19 KiB | Viewed 7749 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
1600_2.jpg [ 28.15 KiB | Viewed 7749 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
1600_3.jpg [ 24.77 KiB | Viewed 7749 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
1600_4.jpg [ 41.36 KiB | Viewed 7749 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
1600_6.jpg [ 38.77 KiB | Viewed 7749 times ]
The plans.. well.. haha... I've been waking up at night for months imagining all the things I will do... here's a quick rundown...

It had a Datsport Steering box brace on it already, so one thing off the list.
Datsport SR EHK - on it's way
Datsport SR throttle cable kit - on it's way
Datsport SR trans tunnel shifter panel thing-a-me-bob - on it's way

I'll do the drilling and cutting necessary, enlarge the rad support for a larger radiator, mark out holes to be closed up in engine bay, then it's off to the panel/paint shop.

I'm taking it to Malaga Rust Repair to have the few rusty bits fixed, the old paint stripped back, then it's getting the KBS treatment so I never have to worry about rust again, followed by paint.
Colour is still undecided, Gunmetal Grey, Vermillion Fire, or Hugger Orange... I'm going to order some touch-up paint of each and splash them on a spare door to see which colour has what I'm looking for.

I'm going to get all the little things done while it's in getting painted, steering box rebuild, diff checked out, uni joints all replaced, shafts balanced, fuel cell made, or mod the 1600 tank for in tank fuel pump, clean up all the wiring and what have you.

The go will be a S14 Black top SR20DET with the variable timing, ECU tune (or replace... no idea yet), Datsport Rad/Intercooler kit, exhaust, Z32 AFM, injectors, yada yada yada. 200rwkw all day every day is all I'm after. I have close to that at all 4 in the STI and it's fun and driveable every day.

The whoa will be Datsport front coilovers and rear disc brakes (with adjustable rear crossmember). Not sure on 280mm or 296mm, I'd like to hear more comparisons on the two..i.e. is the bigger disc necessary.. my main concern is getting a set of wheels with good rubber on them, I don't want spray on tyres that handle like s**t... If I can get 17's with tyres like my STI (RE070's), to fit, that would be awesome, but I'm more than happy to go with 15's and a really good tyre. I prefer handling over all else.

I'm going to replace all the fuel and brake lines, bend my own... fresh start.

I'll get some nice front seats, re-trim or replace the rear seats, new carpet, hoodlining, restore dash pad, fit something that plays music in stereo :P and has MP3/USB capability, all new seals for the car, nice clean earths for the car, tidy up and repair any wiring that needs it... ummmm... this post is getting long.

Basically, a NEW 40 year old Datto if that makes any sense... I intend to keep this one for decades to come... ideally I will hit the track here monthly as time permits as part of a car club, do some hillclimbs, motorkhanas, all the fun stuff... and drive it to work and back.

Last edited by Red510 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Datsun 1600 #4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:16 pm 

Day one done...

All four doors stripped of all mechanicals, same with the boot lid.
Tomorrow after work, the dash.
Tuesday, the engine bay and front trims
Wednesday, bumpers, fuel tank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 pm 

Day 2 & 3 down.. only getting an hour or two in before dark, time to buy a handheld light.

So glad I've left the seats in until last, makes reaching under the dash a lot more comfortable.

Dash nearly out, taillights, bumpers, heater box, all the exterior trims, headlights, etc. all out.

Tomorrow, finish off getting the dash out... something is holding it tight, can't work out what...

Surprisingly, I found it has a Wilwood brake proportioning valve hiding between the driver's seat and trans tunnel. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:24 pm 

well the dash is out, master cylinders are out, steering box brace off, pedal box out, dash/engine bay wiring is out...
one hitch.. not sure how the steering column separates from the box... non-collapsible column i'm pretty sure... any tips people?
also i'll keep searching the threads, but if anyone has one, i'll post up a new topic if i need to, i'm looking for pics for where best cut holes in the firewall for the SR20DET wiring harness.
it's off to the panel/paint in 2-3 weeks and i want to do as much drilling and cutting that is necessary before the rust proofing and painting.

i've decided to strip the 2nd car and keep spares, sell off what i don't foresee needing... i will be getting rid of a 1600 empty shell if anyone wants it... otherwise it's off to the scrap metal yard.

speaking of which, in my travels i've come across a couple of 1600's here in WA that are for sale... conditions vary, i can point you in the right direction if you want to start a project.
one is currently set up with a VG30 and rack & pinion.. but he is keeping the motor/etc.
the other is the seamwelded chassis with a full spare car (in bits)... both have been sitting for many years and are definitely projects, not quick fixes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:42 pm 

Well I acquired some seats today.. $50 for the pair... out of a Mazda RX-8. They look narrow and should fit, they just need a bit of a clean up.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Photo7.jpg [ 53.42 KiB | Viewed 7626 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:58 pm 

You're not messing around are you? Look forward to seeing some more progress pics when it all starts coming together.
Good stuff. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 pm 

diff is out today... i thought i would get more done, but that took longer than expected, one person, jack stands, two trolley jacks and patience... it's an R180 with the K stamp and white texta on the side says 4.875 ....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... i have another R180 "K" in the shed, and a couple of other diffs floating around, so I might end up having this one re-bearinged/sealed/and swap over the crown wheel & pinion...
then again.. 4.875, SR20DET, hehehe.... could be fun, for a while.

fuel lines, brake lines, fuel tank (feels like it's nearly full, so will have to drain it to lift it out), seats and steering (i just have to pick up a tie-rod seperator to get the job done)

two weeks until it's in the panel shop.. one week until i start a new job.. tick tock tick tock.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:46 pm 

03, Im interested in getting the details of the seam welded 1600. Can you let me know, Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:52 pm 

Let me guess... you work in the mines?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:17 pm 

Rat Dat wrote:
no, what makes you think that?
i do like beer!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:21 pm 

well, thank you Mr. tie-rod seperator, steering column/box/linkage all out tonight
started dropping the fuel and brake lines out, not a lot left.

tomorrow, drain and remove fuel tank, rear bumper (i just haven't gotten around to it), fuel lines, front seats, battery box, and it's done.

datsport EHK and trans tunnel cover due tomorrow, then I can start cutting holes and marking out holes to be filled, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:11 am 

03stiwrx wrote:
Rat Dat wrote:
no, what makes you think that?
I do like beer!
Haha... i'm just jelous because i dont have the cash you obviously have :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:37 pm 

selling off things that don't interest me anymore (property) and spending it on what I've always wanted to do, Datsuns, travel, etc.
backwards thinking for most, but i'm happy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:55 pm 

03stiwrx wrote:
then again.. 4.875, SR20DET, hehehe.... could be fun, for a while.
wouldnt be fun even for a minute :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:13 pm 

do i detect sarcasm? or prior experience