Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Who's Responsible!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:05 pm 

Ok, I've seriously got the poos.

Took my 1600 down for a tune to my local shop. While mechanic was out test driving it (no doubt sideways) the windscreen got smashed. Luckily I had a spare windscreen in the shed.

So I was without the car for 5 extra days waiting for a windscreen seal to arrive ($135). Now he wants me to pay for the seal and the install. Is this common practice or ethically how mechanics do business. I rang him and he said it wasn't his fault (he was driving it!!). Told me to ring the guy who dropped the rock.

Anyone got thoughts on this because I think it's crap, and I spend a huge amount of $ on my dattos. :evil:

Post subject: Re: Who's Responsible!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:16 pm 

I would of thought a mechanic's shop would have insurance for these particular accidents or mishaps.

If they have the car it's in their care, they should have to foot the bill, surely the laws go by that as well.

Someone on here will obviously know more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm 

If he's running any kind of reputable business he'll have business insurance to cover such things. What does he mean "contact the the guy who threw the rock"? Basically he's saying "just deal with it". He's very lucky you have a replacment glass as he should be paying for both the seal and the screen.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:00 pm 

more details plz someone through a rock at the datto while he was driving

he should pay for the glass but not the rubber. the rubber should be reuseable .but if its all and cracked then imo he should replace that too

XR8 tow car
stocko 1200 ute

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:25 pm 

+1 he pays reguardless of who through the rock the car was in his care.

So if the car was stolen or damaged in his locked workshop or a late model car will he say the same??????????

I suggest you say to him that you'll contact Consumer Affares about it and his still an ass about contact them and don't use him AGAIN EVER and SLAG his bussiness as much as you can.... that care of him.

[ img ]
76 180B Wagon FJ20e, LT8 -daily
83 DR30RS FJ20et, GT35/40, 45mm Turbo Smart waste gate, 35mm Sard BOV, 356rwhp @ 19psi.

GO HARD or GO HOME, GO SIDEWAYS or GO SQUARE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

The best advice is the right advice. Contact Consumer Protection and see what they say.
Quote:
If you are not sure about your rights contact Consumer Protection by calling 1300 30 40 54 or sending an email to consumer@commerce.wa.gov.au

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerP ... laint.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:31 pm 

He should at least foot the bill for the rubber as you are supplying the glass.

Perhaps you should suggest 50/50.... then get a quote on the glass and split the entire repair (glass & rubber) that should teach him for being such a prick about it.

I would do this after checking with consumer affairs though, at least then you know where you stand.

When the Flag drops........... the Bullshit stops
Go hard or go home!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:45 pm 

datman55 wrote:

I would do this after checking with consumer affairs though, at least then you know where you stand.
+1. At least you know where you stand from a legal point of view.
Besides most (dodgy) businesses will start talking a little more reasonably with the mention of consumer affairs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:56 pm 

Did I mention Northam sucks. No it really does, never consider moving to this town ......... ever

I'll check with consumer affairs, thanks everyone for your 2 cents :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:39 am 

if he is in the care of the car he therfore must give the car back in the same order in which you gave him... we have had this happen to our work efore but we just pay for damage and tell the owner what has happened and what we did, most of the time they are greatful that you have fessed up even though its not our fault most of the time...but yes he should pay for everything, problem being though is there any rust hiding behind the rubber? that might complicate things with a new windscreen rubber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 am 

well as a service advisor for a major dealership, and having worked for many dealerships, when a car is dropped to the workshop the a workorder shoudl be signed, this states in a legal battle the owner is leaving the vehicle at the own risk and the workshop takes no responsabity to damage and property missing. ive never had to enforce this statment as any reputable workshop/dealer would fix the problem to keep the customer happy. in this case, i would have suggested to pay half the job to have ti repaired, or in yoru case pay for the seal. i think u will have no luck with consumer affairs if a repair order has been signed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:14 pm 

interesting?? No work order signed but when my invoice arrived there is a spot where I am supposed to sign (never knew about this until the invoice turned up about a week after the car came home). So this is blank, I shall hang on to this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:56 pm 

menace_510 - count yourself lucky you have never had to go to court with that agreement. See for example http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.ph ... 8818#h3_41

phatsista - don't supply the windscreen, or the rubber, or the labor. The workshop is liable for every cent of the damage. As alluded to, a decent place won't make you fight for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:55 pm 

fix it all yourself. don't go back.

then firebomb the workshop.

***OUT OF ACTION***

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:15 pm 

My next door neighbor dropped his brand new VE SS commy ute into the ballarat holden dealers today to get a hardlid put on it... on the way to pick it back up his missus saw it fly passed her in the opposite direction. She went into the place and ripped sh*t through the manager, then the dude driving it turned up and got a serving too... the dude had been down getting everybodies lunches... if he was to crash it is that the sort of stuff that is covered by your signatures/declaration, menace 510?