Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: lampy's datsun 1600
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:43 pm 

lampy wrote:
Im running a 71b with a holinger gearset
I dont have any photos of the broken syncro or the baffle as it was completed in Vic with les.
I have a few syncros in the shed and i will post a few photos of the spot i believe it broke.

I think i saw 120-130 degrees in the gearbox, but not sure. Will have to have a look at the motec logs
I definitely remember seeing 150 degrees in the diff, although this was the first track day in summer after the diff was rebuilt. I would expect the highest temps when the diff plates were new. We shimmed it up to 150 ft/lbs which is fairly high.
Diff temps have never got that hot again and usually sit around 110 degrees

The main thing i dont know is what a upper limit for the oil should be??
is 120 degrees ok??
Depends on what oil you are using. I think upto 150degC at most for short periods of time? 120deg C should be fairly normal track temps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:04 am 

Hey mate, this is going back a fair way, but have you got any more info on your CV's? It looks like the r180 half shaft was welded onto the VS Commodore half shaft to allow the cv's? If you've got any more pics, i'd love to have a look!

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:02 am 

Sorry no more pics apart from what is in this thread.

The axles were 27 spline r180 out of a naturally aspirated s13 silvia. These fit straight in to the STI r180 center
Normal Datsun centers are 25 spline and these will not fit.

I machined the 5 bolt flange off the silvia stub axles
I then machined the flange off a set of v6 commodore stub axles.

I then mig welded the two together with a nice big fillet weld

The splines in the commodore CVs are different on the inner and the outer. The inner plunging spline is smaller and the outer non plunging spline larger.
It is not possible to shorten the standard shaft and re-spline to the larger spline size because the shaft tapers down and there is not enough meat.

It might be possible to shorten the shaft and re-spline to the smaller size. This would mean you would have a plunging joint on the inner and the outer. Don't think this would be an issue as the later commodores had both ends plunging.

You also have to make an adapter for the outer cv to the Datsun wheel flange. I made one out of aluminium but in hindsight I would just machine the flange off the Datsun stub axle and weld on the commodore similar to what I did on the diff flange.

The welds are very strong because of the diameter.
My 1600 was a drag car with a 400+ hp sr20det before I got it with a similar setup and never had issues with the welds

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:22 am 

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah i thought it'd be quite involved. I've seer them with the alloy spacers. I thought welds would be easier, neater and stronger bit there must be some reason why most aren't welding them up.

I'm going to be doing something similar to a set of s15 axles for my r200 which is why i asked. Will probably just use the tripod style cv's though.

Was going to make a flange and weld it to the outter cv cup to bolt to the Datsun companion flange on the stub axle. Should work similar to what you've done. I do like the look of yours though!

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18