Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: auto electrician
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:26 pm 

well i have a rather well paying job at the moment, but realistically there is no future for advancement in it, and completely unrelated to motor vehicles of any sort. i was talking to an old mate i ran into and he is an auto electrician. i had a look at the job description, and it seems alright job, playing around with efi and what not. i looked at the details, and found i could do pretty much everything except fix efi and tune efi, so i was wondering if any ozdatters out there are an auto electrician, if its good pay, and if you think its a worthwhile profession?

thanks

If it's not broke, don't fix it.. Upgrade it!!!

Post subject: Re: auto electrician
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 am 

bump, any help guys, i can start one tomorrow, but i need people's opinions within the car community!

If it's not broke, don't fix it.. Upgrade it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:17 am 

I t really depends on your attitude towards that kind of work i suppose, i'm a qualified mechanic, but will never go back to turning the spanners for someone else, i enjoy it as a hobby, but not a job, theres no money in it, same as a auto elec, esp in an apprenticeship, the money is pathetic, there is no real incentive to work hard, ie commision, bonuses etc.

If you feel you must get a trade, sit down for a long time and think about it, talk to careers advisors, go talk to job recruiting places and see what they have to say, i fi had my time again i would've gone to uni then and not done my mechanics trade, i'm now thinking of going back to uni for aviation engineering, or possibly aeronautical or aerospace too

I'd say stick with your good paying job for now, but SAVE money!! I just went on a trip overseas by myself through Europe, and it was the best 10 grand i have ever spent, i could've stayed here and got a realy nice car, but what i did is a lifelong experience to remember, at you'd be suprised at how many people look at me being wordly travelled as a very good resume point, shows the ability to put yourself in the deep end, willing to try new things etc

My advice is just that, save your money, even work another job, have some future goals you want to achieve, 5 year plan, not next friday night pissup plan, and try to achieve it, i never did, but i had ideas of what i wanted to do

If you really want an apprenticeship, get one in mechanical engineering, find a workshop that fabricates lots of parts, and use your hands and brain, a job like that is a lot more rewarding, even if its just by seeing a before and after result, (lump of billet aluminium is not a support brace for something, after being machined on a CNC machine, etc)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:11 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Cant imagine your back will like it when they have you laying on the floor all contorted under some guys dash trying to fault find etc.
No way id do it...