Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:54 pm 

Hi all.
I've just bought a datsun 1600 in Adeliade just last week and i've found it to have a problem in normal driving ...
When i go over a bump or slight uneven surface i find the car swerves from side to side and as hard as i hold the steering wheel i can't stop it from doing so... Also i've found the steering to be pretty heavy.
I'm running 15" trx rims and also i think it has larger struts on it, but i don't think either of these are the problems.

Another issue i have is that it has larger calipers on the front and with almost full lock the caliper is hitting on the sway bar.. How do i get over this problem?

Hopefully these are common problems which i can sort out quick so i can head down to dat nats.
Trav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:08 pm 

The steering should still have the adjustable stoppers to allow you to reduce the turning circle of the car, to stop the calipers hitting.

This is the cheapest thing you can to to fix the problem. You'll probably find this is one of the annoying things that made the old owner sell the car.

If you want to fix it properly, you may need to look at installing more suitable struts/brake/calipers.

The heaviness in the steering can be to do with the castor angle or seizing lower balljoints, or underinflated front tires, are you sure these aren't the problem?

Check that the car hasn't been driven up a gutter, which will move the caster rods and mounting points on the chassis backwards, thus reducing the castor angle.

These will be the smallest of problems you will have to overcome with your ownership of your new Datto. You need to immediately climb in, around and under the car to make sure there's nothing too unusual going on. There's a lot more to owning a Datto than just driving it. :-) But that's why we all love them.

Cheers,
Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:05 pm 

Yeh the first thing i checked was the tyre pressure. I can almost be 100% sure that the previous owner sold it for these reasons because he was extremely hesitant to let me take it for a spin.

What would you suggest for strut and brakes which is a good combination for running 15" wheels without rubbing on the guards and calipers hitting sway bar. I'm keen to get it sorted out and driving its best as sometimes in certain situations it can be a bit scarey to drive.

If i took a digital photo whould you be able to tell me exactly what struts and calipers i have on it?

And the adjustable stoppers.. where are these..? sorry if these are dumb questions but i've stepped out of a GTSX turbo skyine which was maintenence free into a 33 year old car! which is a little more demanding.

It is funny though how i go from luxury to datto and i've got a bigger smile on my face and a pocket full of cash! Its a cool car 8)

Trav

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:51 pm 
Guru

I bought a new car back in January 1971 without a test drive.
Still got it :wink:
It is my daily transport, a '71 510 4 door 8)
Anyhoo, the steering stops are located on the arm that the bottom of the strut bolts to. This adjuster will contact the control arm pad on full lock.
There is one at each side of the car.
As Dattodude said a cheap and immediate fix would be to wind them out to prevent the caliper contacting anything.
BUT it sounds like a strut/brake conversion has been done and it didn't come out too well.
Heavy steering could be caused by a multitude of things one being an overly tight steering box.
Jack up the front wheels and see how the steering is with no load.
Pics. would be good, and I live locally so perhaps if you want, I could have a look at it for you :wink:

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:11 am 

I'll take some pictures tomorw in the light and hopefully someone can tell me what struts and calipers i have on it! I'll try and wind out these adjustable steering stops and see how i go also!
I'll get back to you tommorw after i jack it up and check the steering... I've noticed i have a very limited turning circle withough rubbing on anything though.. What could i modify to increase this? would it mean goin back to 13" rims and standard struts?

Thanks again .. Nissanman i may take you up on that offer but i'm guessing that you probably live down south... because i've found that all the datto's + parts are all noarlunga, lonsdale, hackam, reynella.... hehe
45 minute drive for me but its always worth it.
Trav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:32 am 

i had this very problem with my datto m8 but mine didnt have heavy steering but over every bump and ripple in the road made the car go all over the road. it had blue bird struts in it and were the problem is the control arms are too long so who ever put the struts in put the bluebird control arms in (which are too long) which cause the wheels to move in on each other which makes the car go all over the road so you have to put the 1600 ones back in . Now another prob youll have is the calipers will hit on the control arms , so you put the left strut in the right and the right in the left which puts the calipers to the front on the wheels which now allows you to bolt them on took me months to find out that in the end i paid pros big money to find that out hope it might help you sorry about the big post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:13 pm 

dat510 thanks for that mate!! thats exactly what it does... just goes whereever it wants to.
So i've got a spare set of datto 1600 struts.. So i have to change the struts over and the control arms... Would i be able to keep these calipers on the car? they seem to be larger calipers thats the only reason i ask. You said change the side of the struts.. the calipers on the car are towards the front and the calipers hit on the sway bar.. so if i changed the struts from side to side will the calipers hit on the control arms?
Thanks for your help dat510.
Trav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:25 pm 
Guru

You need the calipers on the front of the struts :wink:
With them on the rear they will probably foul on the steering arm ball joint stud among other things.
The contact of the caliper on the swaybar is a real concern, there must be a few things wrong to cause that.
Perhaps with the correct OE control arms the bump steer problem you describe will be eliminated.
If you want to retain the larger calipers, I think you will have to stick with the struts you have, the originals will probably have the caliper mounts at the wrong spacing, the OE calipers a woeful :cry:
If you want to visit send me an Email or PM for contact details 8)

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:16 pm 

Thanks for all your help fellas!
First things first i'll have the struts and control arms in by sunday..
Then i'll hit you with my next problem on the list :) hehe

Which is windscreen wipers!

Trav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:02 pm 

you keep your struts that are in the car change back to 1600 control arms thats the prob ,so because yourve gone back to 1600 control arms the large calipers will not bolt on they hit the control arm so you put the struts on oppisites sides making the calipers at the front. The calipers will not fit 1600 struts they are to big..
(that was the prob with mine anyway )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:39 am 

but at the moment the calipers are already on the front, but they hit on the sway bar on about 3/4 lock. How did you get past this? or am i not following you properly. Have you got this setup working properly?
Trav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:47 pm 

for teh steering problem, is it bump steer? what do the control arms look like? if there flat or pointing upwards you mite need to get some plates to fix it. I had that problem when i brought my SSS as it had cut springs in the front, very dodgy........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:02 am 

ok sounds like they are in ok but the control arms maybe wrong for the fact that your all over the road so make sure the control arms are 1600s that should fix that prob as for the calipers hit the sway bar iam not sure its hard when you cant see the beast have you got any pics :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:37 pm 

Howdy again. I am gettin the struts and control arms outta my other dat tonight so i'll take some pictures of the ones im putting in and also take some of the ones already in there when i get around to putting them in.
Just hope it fixes the problem or you may see it back in the trading post in a couple of weeks :evil:
Thanks again fellaz... post some pics as soon as i can..
Plus i'll put some nice shots of my car up.

Post subject: Windshield wipers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:55 pm 
Guru

I have re-conditioned several windshield wipers on Dattos, Email me with your problem(s) and I'll see if I can help you :wink:

graemes@internode.on.net