Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page « 118 19 20 21 22 23 »
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:27 pm 

yeah, it happens to everyone, i think it gets a bit stale when you forget why you liked it in the first place...then you remember, most of the time haha!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:00 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Being able to get in a drive it does help with that, which is my philosophy and motivation for all of my cars from now on.

Did anything interesting come out of your plenum drains? I cleaned one of my 200B's out on the weekend, and aside from assorted foliage, I also found a very rusty tent peg and some weird rubbery-thing that went straight in the bin.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:56 pm 

Haha nah nothing more than foliage, a bit boring!

Got some rear 1/4 rust panels coming in the mail, the only real rust in the body of the car is the lower rear 1/4s, a few pinholes, no doubt thin in many places, the odd hole on the left side, just replace the whole lower 1/4 on both sides and i'll be sweet i think! :).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:51 pm 

Cut out the rear quarters on the weekend, next, clean up the light corrosion that is still present, trim up the repair sections etc etc etc etc :).
Pics
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

You can see on one side that there was a repair done previously (and you can see on that side there is bog from that repair, and also that the old guy who owned this car previously had backed it all into something at some point and dinged it too haha).

Also i've had these parts for aaaages, but i got them out to play with. My spare U67 head and ZX7R carbies (38mm throats), i plan on using these together on the next engine, a 10:1 comp L20B (or maybe a bit bigger if i can get a Z22 crank :)). DIY tubular manifold will be made to take these :).
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

I also went and stripped a 200B wreck for it's AC system (still holding gas!) and towbar and other misc little bits and pieces on the weekend :).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:49 pm 

So got a fair bit done on the Datto lately, cut all the rust out of the car, treated it all, and made up a bunch of patches to repair the rusted areas.
This is one of the patches i made (for the drivers side rear door), and the section of rust affected panel that i previously removed.
[ img ]
Cut em out with these, very good quality snips. I'm using 0.9mm zinc anneal as the repair section by the way.
[ img ]
This is the repair section cut and shaped (got a bit of a curve on it to follow the door) mocked up on the car.
[ img ]
And then the section welded in, the welds aren't continuous, they're basically a bunch of tacks, made with a bit of time in between each one so not too much heat goes into the panel, causing the panel to warp. The welds will be ground back smooth next.
[ img ]
The drivers rear guard had a rust spot going through both outer and inner guard where the two bits of metal touch and water had gotten under the internal sealant. So this is the inner guard repair.
[ img ]
[ img ]
And this the outer.
[ img ]
The passengers front door had rust extending into the part of the panel that folds around the inner door and is spot welded. So i made the repair panel to match, folding the panel around some offcuts of 0.9mm zinc anneal to get the right fold profile.
[ img ]
Fits on the car like this.
Outer.
[ img ]
Inner
[ img ]
And the rear passenger door too, held in place with one of the clips dad made up for panel work years ago. They'll be welded soon and then the rear 1/4s will be welded and it'll be time to grind all the repairs back and prepare for paint and so on.
[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:31 am 

Nice fab work mate :)

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1966 Nissan Cedric Custom Six
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
1974 Toyota Landcruiser Stallion (SWB)
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:00 am 

thanks, i'm a bit of a noob at it really but just getting pointers off my dad and stuff so seems to be working out fine :).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:09 am 

great work man, must be nerve racking when you cut into the car like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:12 am 

Thanks. Nah it's not really actually haha, it's pretty fun to cut up, cos it's easy, the die grinders are easy to control so you can neatly cut out whatever you like really :).
Perhaps it's because i grew up around my dad who's been restoring 1950s and 60s cars for much longer than the 30 years i've been around so perhaps i'm used to seeing cars getting cut up for the greater good? Haha!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:08 pm 

So dad did a bit of welding for me on the weekend while I wasn't there, which was nice, and the welds on the previous repairs are now all ground down as well.
This is the result so far.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

So that leaves both rear 1/4s as final parts that need attention. I have some repair panels from autocables, they cost about $60ea, but they (as with most repair panels) aren't anywhere near perfect. Had to flatten them out at the bottom as the curved under the rear of the car way too much, this had the affect of flattening one of the folds in the centre of the panels and making them quite wavy as well. The fold will be re-added soon though.
Got the joggling tool out to joggle the rear 1/4 panel in a bit, i'm still trimming the repair section to suit as well, more work to be done this arvo...
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:20 pm 

nebuchernezzer wrote:
Haha nah nothing more than foliage, a bit boring!

Got some rear 1/4 rust panels coming in the mail, the only real rust in the body of the car is the lower rear 1/4s, a few pinholes, no doubt thin in many places, the odd hole on the left side, just replace the whole lower 1/4 on both sides and I'll be sweet I think! :).
Hey mate where'd you get your rear 1/4 panels from? I'm looking to do similar.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 pm 

https://vault2.secured-url.com/ShopSecu ... t%20Panels

Good basis, as usual a fair bit of modifying required to make them fit though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:12 pm 

cheers for that. yep always lots of work to do

unfortunately mine has suffered a bit since taking these:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:09 am 

Yours looked pretty pristine!
Mine was virtually rust free looking at it from the outside when i got it, i've had it for 3 and a half years now though and it spent all that time outside so the rust that had begun over the last 34 years started to take hold.
I'm planning on keeping the car under cover and also having alot of future rust prevention going on after I've finished this round of repairs/respraying.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:30 pm 

cheers mate, yours is looking great. Keep up the good work. I need to get better at welding.

I fear now that as i strip paint i'm going to be horrified what the last 3 years of rain have done to my rear quarters. Similar situation... it's been un-garaged and i've rescued it back from my uncle who frankly didn't look after it. (didnt adjust the boot lid down properly so water got in, allowed gunk to buld up and start rust behind guard etc etc...) When i got it back the idler arm didnt even have a bush in it and was just clunking around!

I now have 4 very good rust-free replacement doors to go on which i will be filling with silicone and waterproofing paint front and back, then i'll cut bigger drainage slots so they dont fill with muck.

I'll put new rubbers throughout the whole body and a re-spray all over, then the car will sleep inside from now on!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page « 118 19 20 21 22 23 »