Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:40 am 

yeah thats how it needs to be done, when i was contemplating putting the AFM and pod filter on D/S with my S13 SR20DE i was going to use the piping from a FMIC kit, and just use the last piece that goes to the T/B and shorten it to suit, as they generally have the IAC fitting welded on and point in the right direction, but no one had one for sale in the week or two i was motivated to do it, car's since been sold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:00 am 

ahh yeah okay, thats a good idea..
ill just weld on a lil bit of pipe and i have a $17 intake
haha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:26 am 

Been busy sorting out fuel and power supply!

Startup tomorrow hopefully!

Ill let you guys know how it goes.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 pm 

Update?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:02 pm 

SIX-TEN wrote:
Update?
sh*t wow yeah i forgot to update datnet :?

Well, as the story goes, I managed to get the car cranking over :)
No firing as of yet, because i have the wrong ignition barrel (drops power between ON and START)
BUT, everything else is allllll pretty much finished.
Interior is about 90%. Still need to do hoodlining, carpet and finish dash.
Exterior is about 90$. Still need to straighten and rechrome bumpers. Find over-riders, and guard mirrors. Might even put "tennis-caps" on the headlights. Oh and put in front and rear windscreens.
Engine is 98%. Just gotta sort ECU power, then check everything is all good, and hopefully it will run. Oh and still gotta get a 2.5" stainless system made up.

And as far as wheels go, i still wanna sell my watanabe's (PM me if your interested), and i finally have sold the SSR's that didnt fit.
Still very very keen to get SSR's. 8" or 8.5" rears, with 7 or 7.5" fronts. Very low offsets. Rears something like for 8.5's about zero. and 8's would be around +5.
I need some time to actually measure and do some calculations though.

SO where am i at now? Well im in wollongong, and the car is in wagga wagga. So we are separated by 450km of dirt. great.
Nothing has been done since ive managed to get it cranking over, but i know what i need to buy, and do, to get it running. Another month or so, and i have 10 days off uni, which will all be spent on the datto, getting it to drive :)

Here are some pics i took just before i left:
[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:51 pm 

Looking good Chris.

One thing with the wheels You could of had the +20s reversed, as in bolt in the face of the rims facing the inside of the wheel and just flip it round.

SSR meshies are the easiest for this since they're just a two piece wheel, the faces are just one solid piece and the holes on which the faces bolt onto don't have a thread but the bolts them selves are held with nuts.

so if you where to get some +15 wheels if you flip them they easily become -15 and so on.

I've seen one person do this on AE86dc.com but they must of had a really high positive offset because they had about 5" dish on an 8" wide wheel.

You could even try this on your RS8s, dunn know up to you?

I really like how your car is coming along, it has to be one of my favourite 1600s around, very clean setup too with the engine convo and all.

ps: I have a pair of SSR meshies in 15x7.5 coming from Japan and I'm going to try the whole face flip on them just to see what is involved, I shall keep you posted once I do.

Alex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:11 pm 

SIX-TEN wrote:
Looking good Chris.

One thing with the wheels You could of had the +20s reversed, as in bolt in the face of the rims facing the inside of the wheel and just flip it round.

SSR meshies are the easiest for this since they're just a two piece wheel, the faces are just one solid piece and the holes on which the faces bolt onto don't have a thread but the bolts them selves are held with nuts.

so if you where to get some +15 wheels if you flip them they easily become -15 and so on.

I've seen one person do this on AE86dc.com but they must of had a really high positive offset because they had about 5" dish on an 8" wide wheel.

You could even try this on your RS8s, dunn know up to you?

I really like how your car is coming along, it has to be one of my favourite 1600s around, very clean setup too with the engine convo and all.

ps: I have a pair of SSR meshies in 15x7.5 coming from Japan and I'm going to try the whole face flip on them just to see what is involved, I shall keep you posted once I do.

Alex
Yeah i did think about doing that, but i dont have the right type of meshies.
The thing is, to be able to reverse them, they need to have the "step" type dish, not the flat.
Mine have the flat dish, so the centres are a little bit too big to be able to reverse.
The step dish meshies have a smaller centre, enabling them to be able to be reversed.
I COULD have done it to my RS8's, however i would have ended up with an offset of about -40 :S Not real good for stresses and wheel bearings lol
Thanks for the comments about my car :) I just cant wait to actually have a car i can drive, so i can actually go to some meets, and cruises and shows and stuff :) To get it out there a bit.

Definitley keep me posted as to how you go with your wheels :) Meshies ftw.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:56 pm 

Update Update Update!!!

this car now runs as of friday

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:13 am 

Yep, just a little update.
Had quite a few little problems i had to overcome:
Problem 1, Dizzy didnt have a rotor button (thanks to the fuckwit that sold me the motor :evil: , now have a brand new nissan item),
Problem 2, ECU didnt have any maps on it (I didnt load one up...),
Problem 3, Had the fuel lines around the wrong way (fuel flows FROM the reg, not to it..derrr). :roll: :lol:

BUT it starts and runs fine now, and also DRIVES!!!

Took it for a few quick blasts around my block, up the road and back kind of thing.

LOVES IT!!!

No exhaust, straight off the manifold PLUS a pod filter makes for an incredible sound!!!! :twisted:

Wow it needs a wheel alignment too!! hahaha... going just by eye doesnt give very good results hahaha

Oh and the button clutch is a handful!! Its OKAY letting it out and upshifting.. but downshifting is just violent!! Heel toe-ing needs to be damn precise to make it all smooth.

hahaha and having no front or rear windscreen makes driving a "breeze" hahah get it? :lol:

So all in all i am so very very happy with the progress i made when i was home, and as you can guess, im back in wollongong, car-less once again.
Ill be back on what looks to be about the 9th of November, to spend another week or two flat out on the car, to get it to roadworthy condition :D
Cant wait! Not much to go now!!
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:45 am 

That's awesome mate, how good does it feel when it first comes alive and all that hard work pays off :thumbsup:
It must be so hard living so far away from your car, especially now it starts and drives.
Anyway mate i'm a huge fan of this car, keep up the good work not to much to go now.....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:18 am 

Glad you got it all sorted Chris.

Must have been real fun driving it for the first time; ppl on your street must have been like "look there goes that crazy kid in his windowless Datto" lol

Hope it didn't mess up your hair do :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:40 am 

It certainly is an incredible feeling when it came to life for the first time.
So so proud of my efforts! Everything is worth it, for that first drive...
Living away from my car sure is hard... but i think of it as a positive... gives me time to plan, and horde more parts, and book things like dyno tuning, engineer, roadworthy, auto elec etc. etc.

ahaha its funny you should say that alex, there was an old guy standing out the front of his place, and i went fanging past him on full throttle! SR screaming!
so i turn around and go back past him and he gives me the thumbs up!! hahahhaha

Here are some pics as it sits now :D

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

First skid!! Hahahah actually it was me forgetting it had a button clutch! LOL!
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:26 pm 

Man you're so so close to finishing it!

LOL at the old guy, must be cool having neighbours like that ay?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:15 pm 
Guru

Congrats Chris.
Its been a long road mate, so glad you hung in there.
Ps keep the watanabes mate they look sweet.
The "OLDER" guy just may have had a 1600 when he was younger.
There is still a few of us left. :lol:

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:12 pm 

i know all about the older guy story, happened to me a bit in my small town, nearly all the 'OLD' people hated it, too loud and what not, but a select few always stopped me for a chat about it, 60year olds and plus,

but great to hear it lives