Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 pm 

Yeah its so so close to being finished!! The "to do" list is getting much much shorter, everytime i lay my hands on it.
Still some small fiddly things to do (heater hoses, pod filter enclosure, center mount handbrake, windscreen squirter etc. etc.) .... and then theres the BIG things like engineering ( :( ) and roadworthy etc. etc.
My ACTUAL neighbor pops his head over now and then to check on progress, cos "back in his day" he used to rally a 1600 up on the goldy.
hahaha he had a look at it just before i got it running and he couldnt stop swearing and gawking... cos the last time he saw it, was just as i got the new shell!! Still all rusty and whatnot :lol:

Thanks Baz, the watanabes really do look awesome, but i have spacers! And they are illegal? so i cant get it registered or engineered... which is much more of a priority than having awesome looking wheels.. to me anyways. I could just get a set of TRX rims and tyres to get me through that stage, then bung the watanabes back on?
Would the TRX 15's fit over the 280mm + hilux 4spots??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:48 pm 
Guru

:oops: forgot your not using R31s up front.
Trx fit over the sumi 4 pot 280s ok, so they just may
fit.

Have got away with machined spacers attached
to the wheel with 4, 8mm cs head socket screws.

See what your engineer thinks.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:41 pm 

Baz wrote:
:oops: forgot your not using R31s up front.
Trx fit over the sumi 4 pot 280s ok, so they just may
fit.

Have got away with machined spacers attached
to the wheel with 4, 8mm cs head socket screws.

See what your engineer thinks.
Ill have to have a chat to my engineer ASAP to see if i should be selling my watanabe's...

Might just spray them black, and see if he notices :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:30 am 
Guru

Have to ask the obvious.
You do have longer wheel studs to compensate for the spacers :?:

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:36 am 

He could always go for bolt on spacers but he very well knows he wants my SSR meshies lol

slip on spacers = bad

bolt on spacers = good :thumbsup:

Buying wheels with the correct offset = F*cking even better! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:04 pm 

With the fronts, I have 15mm bolt on spacers to correct the +38 offset to a +23 so the watanabes fit.
Rears i have longer wheelstuds because i have the R31 rear discs (they add thickness) and 5mm slip on spacers.

I just want to get rid of the spacers all together. Run some wheels which dont need spacers, and fill the guards nicely... (I do know 15x7.5 would fill the rears nicely :wink: )
And ive found some 15x7 +13 meshies on yahoo at the moment, but at nearly 30,000 yen... dunno if its worth it just yet.. (exchange rate is shiiiit... would be over $450aud posted)
So 550 for rears, 250 rear tyres, 450 fronts, 250 front tyres = a neat $1500...

Hmm.... ill have to talk to the engineer asap to see if i can get bolt on spacers engineerer, then do something about the rears...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:40 am 

any updates?,how did you like the indicator switch,i gave it a clean so you could basically just bolt it straight on,by the way those wheel bearings still havent arrived :?: did you send them or get someone else to do it?cause ive sent some other parts down your way and the guy got em in a few days and its been a over couple weeks now :?

GET THAT DATSUN DIFFERENCE!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:56 pm 

Chris,

When you fitted your bolt on spacers on the front, did you have to trim the existing studs down flush with the spacer to get the rim on? Or do the watanabes have recesses for that...

Ive got meself some 15mm bolt ons aswel and trimming down the studs seems the only option.

Updates?!?!

Chris :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:41 am 

is it done yet? is it done yet? is it done yet?

Alex :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:56 am 

SIX-TEN wrote:
is it done yet? is it done yet? is it done yet?

Alex :mrgreen:
x2 :P 8)

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 am 

It runs and drives but isnt done. Still needs a few things to get it ready for rego and engineering and all that stuff, Chris is back in wollongong and his car is in wagga so should be coming really close next time he visits wagga!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 pm 

Hey all,

Sorry for my absence and lack of updates..
But in all reality, theres not much to say!

I went back to wagga, and got it reliably running (no leaks etc.), and finetuned a few more engine/gearbox related things.

Ive been flat out finishing uni, then going to melbourne, then sydney, then wagga, then forster, then sydney, then back to wollongong finally.. without a car still unfortunately.

Plans are to go back to wagga early in february for a solid week of work on the datsun.. and get it to roadworthy condition...
THEN ill have to figure out somehow of getting it to Wollongong, cos i wanna do roady and engineering up here in wollongong... more options etc.

Also, whilst i was in wagga for the 8 days or however long i was there over christmas... i established a firm link with an ex V8 supercar engine builder come engineer. I was working for him for about 7 of the days i was home, building Mustang v8's that made well over 600hp.. without lifting a finger.. He says he can hook me up with Neil Bates, and get me into the rally scene, or Garry Rogers in V8's, or alot of other people in nearly any field of racing.

AND, he and i are going to fab up some custom extractors and exhaust system, to exactly how i want them, oh and also make up all the braided lines i need for brakes and whatnot. He's also got an inhouse dyno.. so i might even get a tune too :D

Chris; I did have to cut the studs off my hubs in order to make the wheels fit on the spacers properly. Easiest way is to bolt them on, nice and tight, and get an angle grinder with a 1mm cutoff wheel, and just cut them flush with the nuts.

All i can say is the car is so close to being done, and that it wont be tooooo long now! Hopefully ill be making it to datnats 09!!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:51 pm 

Hey all again,

Been real real busy lately!! But im back now. More time on my hands etc. etc.

So, datto. hmmm. Lots has been done, and still a bit to be done.

But the good news is, tomorrow it goes in for trimming of the hoodlining and pillars and parcel shelf! Well, actually they will do it on monday, but ill be back in wollongong by then, so i gotta take it in tomorrow so its ready for them!
Then after all that is trimmed, the front and rear windows and seals will be put in on tuesday!
Then that afternoon, the car will drive 3 doors down and into the auto electrician for him to work his magic. We think we will relocate all relays, and the fusebox to inside the cabin. Clean up the bay a little more, and give a bit more room to work with...

So I've been home since wednesday of last week, workin on the datto flat chat. Got alot done!! but there is always more to do lol... at the moment im concerntrating on getting the car roadworthy, and safe, then all the finishing touches will be added.

So a quick little update as to whats been done:
- Bolted in the willwood prop valve.

- Bonnet support and spring cleaned and painted... unfortunately forgot to reset spring, so its a bit dismal and the spring does nothing hahahah ill pull it out and re do it lol

- Got the CA20 speedo sender adaptor thingo.. now all i need is a cable, but im onto that one now.

- Got a pod filter enclosure water jet cut and bent up made out of 2mm stainless steel.. so it should have a nice polished/brushed look that im after. Might get some things engraved into it also..

- Re-wired in my Fireball ignition module using a proper plug and terminals.

- Finished the rear half of solid brake lines, up to a Tee then one across to the passenger side.

- Got rubber hoses made up to go to the rear arms.

- Made up solid lines to go from the calipers to the rubber flex hoses.

- Properly bolted in the battery box and battery

- Fitted my new indicator stalk setup

- Finished off my rear right door with glass and inners.. just waiting on a bit of steel to be cut up and drilled so i can put the stainless strip and window wipers on the door

- Cleaned and painted door trims, and put them on. Rear ones look awesome, no rips or tears or anything... but the fronts are terrible!! Speaker holes and cuts, and ughh... gotta make/find new ones.

- Got my wipers and blades all mounted up

And thats about all that i can write from my lists of TO DO that i have done.... but there is plenty of other stuff that i cant remember that ive done....

So whats left to do now?

- Driver side rear door chrome window wiper etc has to be put on..

- Have to change the rear springs to higher ones that ive got, cos i have a **** terrible vibration/shudder/constant banging sound coming from the rear... hope its not wheel bearings or anything... we will just see if the higher springs fix it.

- Put in the passenger front seats seatbelts, as i have to get some spacer washer things first.

- Wire in the tacho to the ECU

- Raise ride height so it can make it onto a car trailer........

Then after that.. hopefully it will be pretty damn close to roadworthy/engineering...
Just gotta do floor mount handbrake, windscreen squirter and carpet. Oh and re-do my dash as it cracked again hahaha whilst im at it i might add another spot for a boost gauge, only ill have it over near the A-pillar... so its ready for when i go supercharged... then twin charged.
Once its all bogged and painted, ill send it to whoever to get some vynil stretched over it...

Oh and, exhaust will be done in a few weeks time hopefully. Just gotta order all my bends and pipes and things.. then we can get welding and cutting and make me an awesome exhaust!!
It'll be a 38" length, 4-2-1 design, with 1-7/8" primaries, 2" secondaries, and a 2.5" or 2.75" or 3" outlet... im thinking 2.75" so its good for N/A, and still okay for supercharged. But a 3 or 3.5" for twincharged.

And! Wheels are now 15x8.5" +15mm SSR Reverse Mesh. Fkin phat as phuk! Ill let the pictures explain :P (Proud of me Alex??)

So i dont really have much to show but here are some shots of it anyways....

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
Excuse the mess lol
oh and just realised im missing a seat rail bolt :S Fixed first thing tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:45 am 

Nice progress mate... I really want to see those wheels with some rubber on the car.. I reckon it'll look sick!..

Keep up the good work and updates!..

Engine Management Sytem: Screwdriver!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 am 

Nice to see you're back on track Chris :thumbsup:

what is the now projected date of completion?