Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:12 pm 

i was wondering what the details are of building a weld in roll cage; ie

-approved materials
-constuction methods (best type of welder to use, guess that depends on material
:?
-were the anchor points should be
-different degrees of cage (basic, advanced? whats best for ralling, circuit racing, street/club use etc

any insight would be great.

tommo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:05 pm 

What is the purpose? Because if you are in it to race in CAMS race events it needs to be of a homologated design and built or approved by a CAMS approved builder.

Post subject: CAge
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:28 am 

Also if yao are going to put a cage in, its needs to be a full cage to meet CAMS specs, better to do this for resale.

Give CAMS a call and as for ROP's guidelines and regulations and they should be able to help. Head ofice in Melb, but each state has an office

DOT Projects

Post subject: roll cage
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:47 pm 

I was just browsing though the cams competition handbook or whateva it was lying around the workshop and it had all the technical stuff you were looking for in the back, I'd like to find out if you can combine certain aspects of 2 designs they have cos I would like a certain amount of practicality from my cage when I get one for my 120y coupe

Post subject: roll cage
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:47 pm 

I was just browsing though the cams competition handbook or whateva it was lying around the workshop and it had all the technical stuff you were looking for in the back, I'd like to find out if you can combine certain aspects of 2 designs they have cos I would like a certain amount of practicality from my cage when I get one for my 120y coupe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:50 pm 

i tried to make my own rollcage found out for it to pass cams approval it has to be sonic tested or xrayed or something like that, the whole process would of cost me a few grand a few meaning 3 plus .

so i bought one off a rollcage builder for a thousand bolts right in.

im sure there are many other types of rollcage for my 1600 but the bonds one has a good name and was a hellar lot cheaper then making my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:08 am 

TallduDe wrote:
i tried to make my own rollcage found out for it to pass cams approval it has to be sonic tested or xrayed or something like that, the whole process would of cost me a few grand a few meaning 3 plus .
May I ask what kind of racing you are/were going to use it for?

I am not aware of any such requirements for Rally car roll cages unless it is for an FIA (International) Events...

datnat,

Talk to competiton cage builders or others that have built their own roll cages for the type of racing you plan on doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:34 pm 

Circuit racing has specific requirements that are in the CAMS manual, if it is not a homologated design it has to go thru modelling and testing to make sure it is safe. But there are enough options in there that there is no point building your own. you just build it to the approved design and have one of the approved builders check it out, or get them to build it for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:58 pm 

well the class of racing i wanted to do is international armac rallies/classic rallies. such as east coast targa and tassie targa.

i was told by my engine builder who builds engines for such events that its not worth it gmaking my own as the testing would blow my budget out of the water!

but im sure if you want tomake your own for club level events it will be okay but would you trust it? i know you built it but......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:12 pm 

i intend to hill climb, club day etc sort of events, so i don't think there are any specific requirements. thanks everybody for your input so far.

tommo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:31 pm 

yeah when i put the half cage inot the 120y sedan.

rang up bonds roll cages told em what i was chasing.
a week & 600 bucks later i had a roll cage sitting at my door.
only took bout and hour to put in as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:12 pm 
I can save you the time & effort. I have one for sale for a 16 if your interested. >> http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6158