Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:46 pm 

Good day people

I am a bit confused at the moment. My L18 engine does not want to rev! In first gear it barely reaches 6000rpm and very very slowly too. The ignition timing is set to about 18degrees btdc. The camshaft is a regrind of 272degrees and it is dailed in with the V-slot exactly on the small line in the cam tower. So the cam timing is supposed to right or very close to if not. The standard intake and Nikki downdraft carburetor is still being used and I checked to see if the secondary butterfly valve is opening, and it does.

Now the only thing that might still hinder the motor to rev up and pull stronger is ignition? what else is there to check? the points gap was alright the last time I checked. The condenser is also very new, but might be wise to change this with a new one again? The distributor is a bit loose where it fits into the front cover and there is a bit of wobble when I loosen the screw to adjust the ignition timing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Have a nice day
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:10 pm 

Halo everyone

I just want to report that I found part of the problem. I changed the condenser with a new one and also one of the small wires inside the distributor. The wire I changed is the one going from the condenser to the back of the points. This wires insulation was damaged.

There is definitely a big improvement in performance. Will make sure the point gap is set correctly and then I believe it will be 100% again.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

L18Skyline wrote: *
Halo everyone

I just want to report that I found part of the problem. I changed the condenser with a new one and also one of the small wires inside the distributor. The wire I changed is the one going from the condenser to the back of the points. This wires insulation was damaged.

There is definitely a big improvement in performance. Will make sure the point gap is set correctly and then I believe it will be 100% again.

Cheers
Good News!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:09 am 
Site Admin

18 degrees BTDC sounds like alot.

I would have thought 10 to 12 degrees was factory setting?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:52 pm 

Yes 18 degrees btdc is quite a lot! I was very surprised that it did not ping on anything more that 10 degrees, but because the motor is very low on compression because of worn piston rings.

At the moment I am replacing the piston rings and fitting new big end bearings. Then she will be sorted!

Have a nice day all.