Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:27 pm 

Just curious if anyone knows what kind of mileage a Z20 engine can do? I have a 1985 Nissan Urvan (AKA Caravan/Homy) E23 with the Z20S (carby) and it has done about 246xxxKM and has about 150PSI on all four cylinders (ideal Z20 compression range is 128-171). She runs like a dream and is an damn pleasure to drive for it's age! A very smooth & quite drive indeed. The gearbox synchro's are a little worn, she doesn't like shifting down from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd, however if I double clutch and give her a little gas in neutral she slides right in no problem. Here's a picture of her and a video of me tow starting a Daihatsu Delta circus truck!

Picture: Mission Beach, QLD

Tow Start! Ingham, QLD

Cheers!

P.S If anyone has any random knowledge that would be of use to me regarding the Z20 I would love to hear it. One thing I have heard from a mechanic (who found out the hard way - interference engine alert) is that the timing chain will not last the lifetime of the engine and is prone to snapping. I ask because I have been considering moving onto a HJ45 Landcruiser with the extremely reputable 2H engine, famous for running well over half a million kilometers if looked after.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:49 pm 

Hard to say mate. Jap engines generally speaking have decent factory quality parts in them, so as long as you service regularly and take care of it, should be a while . Our Mitsubishi Lancer CE sedan has 470,000 kms on it, original motor , clutch, starter, alternator . I've just done timing belts every 100,000 and oil/filter every 15,000. The Mrs. wants a new car but no chance, it's got to crack 500, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:52 pm 

Wow, now that's some quality engineering. Have you done any other kind of servicing to her?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:11 am 

Z engines by design are pretty stout. We had a z24 in a pathfinder which is practically the same as a z20 but with a taller block and it did circa 400k before we sold her on.

With appropriate servicing and timing chain/guide replacement, should just keep ticking along nicely. Only real concern for longevity would be the carby. May need to throw a kit at it later on in life, as like most carbys the seals dont last forever. But essentially 246K on your engine, its only just ran in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:36 pm 

Quote "Wow, now that's some quality engineering. Have you done any other kind of servicing to her?"

The usual :front brake pads and rotors, although original rear drums still going! Have replaced 1 coil pack at 150k, rear shocks at about 440k, steering link tie rods at about 220k. Haven't done a wheel alignment in about 7 years. Just replaced driver seat belt for rego and the heater fan just died(got an eBay one for $50). It does use a bit of oil internally as you might expect but it doesn't blow any smoke whatsoever. Just check the oil every month and top it off. Mostly country kms have helped I reckon. My oldest son will probably kill it when he gets his Ls this year, lol. He was 3 when we got the car!