Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:18 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The datto no longer a three door. Had a bit of a break from the 1600 as my other toy (laser tx3 turbo 4wd) needed a bit of TLC which included gearbox,diff and clutch change plus a few other bits and pieces. My oldest son got himself a MA70 Supra for his first car which did not take much work to get sorted but it all takes time.
The good news, Back into the datto now. Most of the cars in primer now, just needs a going over with stop putty and a rub down. i was planning to put a 910 crossmember/k frame in including the rack and pinion that came with the fj20, So I did not have to mod the original to keep matching my L18. But after a bit closer reading of the cams rules for improved production class which I was hoping the datto would be allowed to compete in. The change of the steering box to rack and pinion is not allowed. Which is a bit of a pain as I have had it all mocked up and it seamed to all work with a pair of adjustable lower control arms ( That are free). If anyone knows I'm wrong about the steering box to rack thing please let me know.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Right hand ff.jpg [ 219.18 KiB | Viewed 2061 times ]
[ attachment ]
right hand side 1.4.jpg [ 168.03 KiB | Viewed 2061 times ]
File comment: Its a bit straighter than it looks, funny reflections
[ attachment ]
right hand side 1.3.jpg [ 264.08 KiB | Viewed 2061 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:59 pm 

Nice work mate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:52 am 

Instead of making your own inlet manifold, is there not manifolds already made for the webers to suit suit an FJ20?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:07 pm 

I think you will find that lower control arms are not free in improved production. This doesn't work well for a 1600 trying to get decent camber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:25 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Stoney , The KAMEARI Manifold is the only one I can get my hands on new and the prices seem a bit steep, the one Ive had a look at lift the carbies up and flattens them out which results in tight turns in its tubes, I guess needed for webers etc. But not for my ITB's. But if there is any secondhand manifolds about for sale, I would be keen to have a look. That go's for extractors to .
Lampy, If changing to the 910 crossmember was allowed the stock 510 LCA's worked fine, when I hand it mocked up All fitted under the flares just and there was plenty of camber. But the best bit was the rack and pinion. O well just reversing my crossmember now, but can gain a little camber when i am reversing the LCA mounting tubes ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:46 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

If you're thinking about widening the distance between the LCA pivots while reversing the crossmember to increase camber, I would strongly suggest you think again. This will induce some pretty savage bump steer and is not recommended....I would be using adjustable length LCA's instead. Nissco in Bayswater, Victoria do a good set - if you wish to save some time compared to making them yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:55 pm 

yahoo auction have the manis you need from time to time, I suggest Jesse Streeter for them as he is based in Japan and keeps a look out for those items charging a small fee for his time and postage to you. Very well known Aussie living in Japan and helping the JDM crazed guys out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:55 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thanks for the heads up on that "d" , so is it alright to move LCA mounting points up a bit . I was planning hole sawing the tubes a little off centre ( as suggested in post on reversing cross member). I believe it would only 3 or 4 mm. Would that not help with the bump steer ?