Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Datsun 1600 Restoration.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:32 pm 

Thought I would post up my new 1600 I intend to restore, as I have been out of the Datto game a long time, so would be a good place to ask some questions and ask some advice.

The plan is to bare metal it, fix all the rust, paint it sky blue (anyone know what the Datsun 1600 sky blue colour is called?).
I have an FJ20 here with a set of 45s on it, ceramic coated extractors to suit 1600. It will get rebuilt and find its way into this car. I just need to work out how to fit it.

No idea what suspension and brakes yet. I will probably use struts with the 88.9 bolt spacing and use a set of wilwood calipers. The plan is to use it for track sprints and so on as well as a weekend car. Will maybe put MCA suspension it, budget depending.

First up will probably be to tackle the engine bay. It has had a new radiator support panel at some stage, and it needs a bit of metal work to tidy it up. Pictures tell 1000 words

[ img ]

[ img ]

My internet is sucking right now, so will add lots more pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:50 pm 

Now that my internet is working, a few more pics.

I am going to be chasing all front end stainless/chrome trims, indicators etc, so if you have something (70-72 style) let me know.

Bit more of the ugliness, that is the rad support panel replacement. They have obviously never heard of plug welding.

[ img ]

Sills on each side are straight, there is a bit of rust lurking but not too bad:

[ img ]

[ img ]

Got bored yesterday and decided to have a play with the taillights:

[ img ]

Pulled them apart, cleaned the lenses and plastic in hot soapy water, polished lenses and the chrome (chrome isnt perfect, may yet get it rechromed), put them back together and ended up with this:

[ img ]

Still need to sort out and inner and outer gasket, they are on ebay but not cheap. I may just cut out my own.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:54 pm 

Hey mate,

There is quite a bit of work on the body, might be best to start with getting it blasted or dipped. Good luck with the resto, can be very rewarding once completed.

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:23 pm 
Guru

I think you'll find that 90% of the bright work is stainless not chrome and as such should clean and polish up nicely.
The bumpers are definitely chromed.

That body is going to need more than a cut and polish :shock:

Where are you located?

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:29 pm 

hailest wrote:
Hey mate,

There is quite a bit of work on the body, might be best to start with getting it blasted or dipped. Good luck with the resto, can be very rewarding once completed.

Cheers,

Trent

Yep, I intend to blast the engine bay, wheel arches pillars etc. Will paint strip most of the panels.

Plenty of work ahead, but I have seen a lot worse before!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:15 pm 

Hey mate. My bro is restoring a 68 1600 in the pale blue. Not sure if that is the colour you are looking for? He has the paint code which ill grab for you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:36 pm 

Azzdat16 wrote:
Hey mate. My bro is restoring a 68 1600 in the pale blue. Not sure if that is the colour you are looking for? He has the paint code which ill grab for you.

Yes that's the one! Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:16 pm 

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:14 pm 

I have a new repo front lhs sill piece you might be interested in? $50

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
20140808_173752.jpg [ 335.79 KiB | Viewed 4478 times ]
[ attachment ]
20140808_173724.jpg [ 124.41 KiB | Viewed 4478 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:15 pm 

DATO4 - Legend, thank you!

Rat510, I was going to shape one myself, but that could save me an hour or twos work, I just might hit you up for it. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:19 pm 

Going to be following this closely. Be awesome to see how you do all the rust repairs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:32 pm 

In the process of welding up holes in the engine bay and firewall. Will get pics soon. Luckily the firewall drain is in pretty damn good nick.

I intend to use 12v hairdryers as demisters so I don't have to have heater hoses, so I will probably weld up the heater hose holes too.
I have thought about running a floor mounted pedal box with balance bar, and welding up all holes in the firewall, but I think that would make any form of rego (vic) utterly impossible. Has anyone experimented with using a different wiper motor too?

Undecided if I will remove the radiator support panel and tackle it on the bench before reattaching it, or tackling it while its still attached to the car.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:44 am 

Regarding floor mounted pedals, it's probably best to get some advice from an Automotive engineer. If the Automotive Engineer signs off, Vicroads will give you rego.
There's a whole bunch of VASS Engineers that have been used on this site with favourable results. Get them involved early and sail through.

As for different wiper motors, Stewart Wilkins Racing in Sydney does a kit with a pulsar(?) motor? Some guys on here have done their own!