Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: sr20det in 200b
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:31 am 

Ey everyone. This is my first post and first datsun project :)
Im planning to do a ground up restoration on my datto but with a sr20det and eventually id like to get 550 - 650kw at the wheels.
Im not very experienced but I want to learn and ive always wanted a datsun with heaps of power :) So any advise or tips would be extremely grateful :)

Last edited by Dat13b on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:49 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Welcome, and nice conversion idea! Saw the car on Gumtree also, not a bad buy :)

Okay, I think you'd be best using a series 4/5 RX-7 block, there's still plenty of good bits available and the power you're wanting to make is quite achievable. What people normally do with these blocks to get them into an early Mazda is replace the front timing cover with a 12A turbo item as this is where the engines traditionally mount from. Doing this in a 200B might well put the engine too far back in the bay, so you might well be better off using the standard series 4/5 side engine mounts. It might put the engine then too far forward though. So maybe custom mounts!

Gearbox, depending on your plans a series 4/5 turbo gearbox should be okay. It'll fit in the tunnel fine. Obviously custom mounts and tailshaft will be needed. I've measured it and a series 2 radiator would JUST fit in place. Oil cooler might need to be an early Mazda one and I don't know about your intercooler piping, depends on how you want to run it.

I assume you're in Victoria since that's where the car was advertised, if so I have a 200B rolling shell at my mum's place in Mount Eliza, if you want to get a dummy block you're welcome to measure everything up on my car which might save some hassle later.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:52 am 

Sweet!! Thanks heaps man!!
Shiet a fair bit of custom work lol
Im gunna start working on the engine after Ive saved up enough for the engine :)
Awesome if I need ill definately pm you :)
Im a bit bamboozled about the wiring stuff though, might have to get someone to sort that one out lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:57 pm 

Hey guys massive change of plans.
With the limited knowledge I have, I decided to go sr20det and try make alot of power out of that engine :)
Any advise would be great snd appreciated :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:46 am 

Change your user I'd?????? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 am 

3 posts and want 650 HP?
Limited knowledge?
need to save up money?

Come on now. You still live with your Parents I bet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:57 pm 

650hp....put a blown v8 in it...easy done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:04 am 

green200b wrote:
Welcome, and nice conversion idea! Saw the car on Gumtree also, not a bad buy :)

Okay, I think you'd be best using a series 4/5 RX-7 block, there's still plenty of good bits available and the power you're wanting to make is quite achievable. What people normally do with these blocks to get them into an early Mazda is replace the front timing cover with a 12A turbo item as this is where the engines traditionally mount from. Doing this in a 200B might well put the engine too far back in the bay, so you might well be better off using the standard series 4/5 side engine mounts. It might put the engine then too far forward though. So maybe custom mounts!

Gearbox, depending on your plans a series 4/5 turbo gearbox should be okay. It'll fit in the tunnel fine. Obviously custom mounts and tailshaft will be needed. I've measured it and a series 2 radiator would JUST fit in place. Oil cooler might need to be an early Mazda one and I don't know about your intercooler piping, depends on how you want to run it.

I assume you're in Victoria since that's where the car was advertised, if so I have a 200B rolling shell at my mum's place in Mount Eliza, if you want to get a dummy block you're welcome to measure everything up on my car which might save some hassle later.
Thanks for the awesome advise but its a little bit too much for what I want the car to be.

For the record im 20 years old. I doubt a 20 year old can live on his own and can afford to buy a 3k engine and sh*t. So give me a break. And sorry for asking for advise. Didnt know it was the wrong thing to do.

Post subject: Re: sr20det in 200b
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:43 am 

Ozdat is a High End Forum. along with the510realm.
Ratsun.net is low end and with alot of new YOUNG guys with big dreams and small wallets. Im on Ratsun alot. I only look smart on there cause Im surrounded by Dumbasses/idoits/novice/newbees. So it makes me feel better.
To be realistic to get 650hp out of a 4 banger youl better make alot of money cause 4 bangers cost 4 times as much to get the same HP as a cheap V8.

I say learn about the L motor and just drive it and go to school find a good job. Dont get married or get anybody pregnant and maybe youll get a 650 hp turnkey car on day. But really it isnt going to happen. Unless your parents are rich.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:38 pm 

Do a weber and cam on the L20b, spend the rest on suspension, good brake pads & fluids.

Do that and you'll have a reliable cheap car that should take a good flogging, more than enough fun for someone your age.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:40 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

banzai510(hainz) wrote:
Ozdat is a High End Forum.
You can tell that by the five posts per day! You're normally a really good contributor but I think you're being a little harsh on the guy.
Bozo510 wrote:
Do a weber and cam on the L20b, spend the rest on suspension, good brake pads & fluids.

Do that and you'll have a reliable cheap car that should take a good flogging, more than enough fun for someone your age.
I disagree, I had that setup years ago and got very bored of it. Reliability was bad luck on my part I think but it wasn't overly efficient and I got dragged off my Yaris's and Civics. Not to mention the lack of burnout potential.

To the OP, what you're asking for power-wise is quite high whether it's a 13BT, an SR20 or realistically any four-cylinder. Not saying it's not possible but it will be very expensive to make that power reliably. If that's what you're after a turbo six or a V8 would probably be better.

If you're 20 you can't drive a turbo car for another year or two. So that gives you time to save up to rebuild an engine, buy the turbo you want, get it all running, tuned, engineered etc - and then you can go from there. You'd be surprised what 200rwkw will feel like in a 200B, plenty fast at least for now. Build your engine once and you can always then bolt on a bigger turbo and make more power later if that's what you want :thumbsup:

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:00 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

green200b wrote:
I think you're being a little harsh on the guy.
Harsh but perhaps fair.....

650kw at the wheels is something like 1200hp at the flywheel. Getting that out of an SR20 (or any 2 litre 4 cylinder) isn't something you save up for. Its something you do if you have an endless supply of money burning a hole in your pocket.

Having been in a few turbo Datsuns, you don't need (and probably can't use) anywhere near that horsepower anywhere except possibly on the dragstrip.

Lower the power expectations a little (well, maybe a lot), go with a mild / fairly standard SR20 (easy install into a 200B), get it running and see just how quick it is before you think you need mega-hp.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:34 pm 

I built a Bluebird with an SR20DET running decent semi slicks all round. Dynoed just over 202rwkw @ 14psi. Didn't break traction if you were rolling 1st and second gear - your eyes just get pinned to the furthest point you can see up the road. I couldn't imagine another 450kw on top of that. That's not just motor, it's chassis & drivetrain work.

Considering it was only a track-only car, it was well over 10 grand by the time it was going. So engineering etc onwards for a roadworthy vehicle is well out of scope even for high-end builders.

I'm a 20 year old who has spent over 20k building a Bluebird with a well-paying apprenticeship living at home. With E85 I 'might' pull over the 250kW mark. But that's plenty to have fun with on the track, and well more than plenty for road.

douglasamills wrote:
1600s arent the only datsun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:06 pm 

Well I'm no hp fiend and my l16 lpg 1200 was all handling with a lowly 65 hp odd at the wheels. Pulled 2:23 at Phillip Island first time out. Not the quickest car or driver by far but out performed a couple more hp cars that didn't have handling sorted.
Having briefly driven some high hp cars crumbs l20b stroker was more fun then a 400 kw skyline. 150 hp vs 400 kw.... and at 20 years old no offence but you may not have the skills to handle all that power.

All depends if you want power or handling or both.
In a datsun 100 to 150 hp is fun of you have handling sorted

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:45 am 

What I tried to say was I prefer drive ability in more varied situations rather than outright power numbers.
Might not win races but it's fun for me.