Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Car prang and insurance
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:48 pm 

Hello

It's been a while since I've been here, but things are finally coming to a resolve regarding the insurance payout for my 1983 N12 Pulsar hatchback.

An idiot ran into me a couple of years ago, and wrote fof the car.

Basically, it's been a fight between me and the NMRA as to the value of the car.

They at first offered market value, which I rejected.
I had spent just over $8,000 on it, and argued that as the prang was not may fault, why should I lose all that cash?

To cut a very long story short, the NMRA have increased the amount, but it's still not enough (in my opinion).

As they have been such a f****** bunch of ***** to deal with, I'm now in the hands of the financial ombudsman service (FOC). Even if I have to accept their last offer, I am making sure the NRMA **** have to spend time and money on it. :evil:

So, the FOC needs as much info from me as possible, especially if I can 'prove' value the car...which is where some of you might be able to help.

Having spend $8000 on it (recon enigne, etc) how much would I be able to sell it for? What would one expect someone to pay for it?

I have no idea. It all depends on how much someone would want one like it, so who knows? It could be a reasonable amount, or not much. :?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

PS. Oh, I'm, now living in a toyota coaster bus...decided on a change of life, and bought a lovely ex-school bus for a song, and have been fitting it out and really enjoying it....but I really, really miss that little pulsar. What fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:15 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I dont think N12's are high in demand at all so i doubt you would get half your money back that you have spent.
Carsales.com.au is a good place to see how much other owners are advertising them for.

Do you have receipts for the 8k of work done?
Was the modifications or improvements listed on the policy details?
Was the policy for agreed value or market value?

Bit hard to say its worth more after the policy was originally agreed upon.
Most you can hope for is to try and negotiate the highest price you can from NRMA showing proof of value (reciepts). Then try and buy the wreck back from them and then sell off the good parts to recoup as much money as possible.
They should sell the wreck back to you very cheaply and deduct the money from your claim.

If you dont have full comp with agreed value then technically you have no leg to stand on and do stand to lose out when in an accident.

Lesson to all here; choose your car insurer and type of cover very carefully if you care at all about your Datsun...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:27 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Is NRMA your insurer, or the insurer for the person who hit you ?

ie did you have comprehensive insurance yourself ? If so, was it for an agreed value or market value?

NRMA may well argue that stuff like reco-ing the engine is just "maintenance" and doesn't increase market value at all.

I tend to agree with nick, if you can get remotely close to half what you've spent, I'd take it.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:11 pm 

Yeah, I figured that. Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 am 

What do sites like RedBook, or sales sites like Carsales tell you that a N12 Pulsar, in close to same spec as yours is worth?