Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Datsun 200b SSS
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:26 am 

Hey guys,

As of a few days ago i have inherited a Datsun 200b SSS in almost pristine condition. The car has been under a tarp and in a garage for the last 20 years. It was bought brand new buy my Aunty and has 55,000 kms on the clock.

I just have a few questions about the model/etc :)

1) I've been reading about the 180b SSS and the 200b SSS, is it true that the 180b is for other markets other then AUDM?
2) Regarding the 180b/200b situation, us it true that the engines are different? If yes, what should an example engine number be?
3) $$$. I don't want to sell the car as i want to keep it in the family for as long as i can... but in saying that, is it worth fixing her up? (keeping everything as stock as possible and only replacing what is needed)
4) what should be my approach, are there things i should check/do first?

I don't have pictures yet but will get them up ASAP. The 200b is the baby blue color... even has massive back window shadow thingo :lol: and sh*t tone of reflectors for some reason :oops:

Post subject: Re: Datsun 200b SSS
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 am 

Hi ive only just got one a 200b sss a few months back im in the middle of restoring now.

Id keep it restore it they are getting harder to find, i bought mine when i wasn't looking for a car to do up for a while but im glad i am.

i never really liked them due to the rear window between b and c pillar but with the right paint and wheels look i think a 200b sss can look really neat; unique.

The rear boot and tail lights are different to a 200b sedan so don't throw them out if they are a bit old, i almost turfed my boot lid the other day.

the sr20 turbo will fit easily Ive read into 200bs so there is an an advantage just need engine and gearbox mounts i think.

If yours is an l20 b they are a good engine will rev till about 6 6500 and go well with an exhaust a street cam and twin weber mikuni dellorto style carbs.

I had a nice 120b in a 1600 years ago it was great fun.

im in newcastle if your close by and you want any help let me know....

I say keep it as stock looking as possible and turn it into a sleeper with bolt on bits to the motor if you look after it you have hundreds of thousands of k's fun ahead and you will turn heads

http://jandm.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:37 am 

Miff wrote:
Hey guys,

As of a few days ago I have inherited a Datsun 200b SSS in almost pristine condition. The car has been under a tarp and in a garage for the last 20 years. It was bought brand new buy my Aunty and has 55,000 kms on the clock.

I just have a few questions about the model/etc :)

1) I've been reading about the 180b SSS and the 200b SSS, is it true that the 180b is for other markets other then AUDM?
2) Regarding the 180b/200b situation, us it true that the engines are different? If yes, what should an example engine number be?
3) $$$. I don't want to sell the car as I want to keep it in the family for as long as I can... but in saying that, is it worth fixing her up? (keeping everything as stock as possible and only replacing what is needed)
4) what should be my approach, are there things I should check/do first?

I don't have pictures yet but will get them up ASAP. The 200b is the baby blue color... even has massive back window shadow thingo :lol: and sh*t tone of reflectors for some reason :oops:
forgot to add to check for rust all over if its only done 55000 should be in really good nic depending on storage. Then just look for the usual stuff leaks etc give the car a full service go from there it will be fun to drive in standard from. i think the later sss carbs had pollution on them so you may want to address that to get a bit more poke out of it...

reflectors may have been added what year is it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:50 pm 

Cheers dude.

i had a quick look for rust when i went to check it out and she seemed to be perfect.

I've tried searching on the forums, which wont let me due to the how common the words are, and the internet is coming up with a whole list of fail, but what made the SSS special comparing to the base models?

These bad boys have aircon, yeah? If so, i want to make it my daily and retire the 12 second suby :D

i have no experience with Carby cars and was wondering if you know anyone around newy who is reputable to do the final tuning of the car?

Also, when you say the SR20 turbo, do you mean an engine swap or do they bolt on with the correct manifold?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:07 pm 

Engine swap
Miff wrote:
Cheers dude.

I had a quick look for rust when I went to check it out and she seemed to be perfect.

I've tried searching on the forums, which wont let me due to the how common the words are, and the internet is coming up with a whole list of fail, but what made the SSS special comparing to the base models?

These bad boys have aircon, yeah? If so, I want to make it my daily and retire the 12 second suby :D

I have no experience with Carby cars and was wondering if you know anyone around newy who is reputable to do the final tuning of the car?

Also, when you say the SR20 turbo, do you mean an engine swap or do they bolt on with the correct manifold?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:13 pm 

Kept it JDM style get some mikuni - solex 40's and you will need a Weber style manifold. Tube headers or just extractors and a 32/36 Weber IDF for daily search eBay mate
Miff wrote:
Cheers dude.

I had a quick look for rust when I went to check it out and she seemed to be perfect.

These bad boys have aircon, yeah? If so, I want to make it my daily and retire the 12 second suby :D

I have no experience with Carby cars and was wondering if you know anyone around newy who is reputable to do the final tuning of the car?

[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:34 pm 

G'day Miff and welcome to this forum and Datsun ownership, assuming this is your first Datto.

In answer to your questions, to the best of my knowledge:

1. I believe the 180B SSS would have been available in a number of O/S locations, possibly under another name though. Same with the 200B SSS.

2. The engines are the same design, just different capacity. 180B (L18) 1800cc, 200B (L20) 2000cc. In Australia, the 180B SSS had twin SU carbs and a different cam to the sedan/wagon, whilst the 200B SSS engine was stock, as you would find in the sedan. Your engine number should start with L20.

3. Sounds like your car is stock, with a few minor add ons. My view is keep it stock. If any bits are damaged, replace with original. If you do change anything, I suggest do it so the car can be easily returned to original. I'm not a fan of engine swaps, especially where you have a very original example to start with.

4. Things you should check. Since it's been sitting so long, before running over any time/distance, definitely do a thorough cooling system flush. Maybe consider the condition of the thermostat and the water pump. Check all hoses and belts. Do the same with engine oil. I'd also consider the transmission and diff.
Is yours a manual? Check all brake lines and systems. Possibly one of your brake cylinders may have seized. Once you've done that, maybe run/drive it for a bit and if there's any other issues, they should present themselves.

Anyhow, whatever you do, look after it and please get some photos up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:43 pm 

AICHINACT wrote:
G'day Miff and welcome to this forum and Datsun ownership, assuming this is your first Datto.

In answer to your questions, to the best of my knowledge:

1. I believe the 180B SSS would have been available in a number of O/S locations, possibly under another name though. Same with the 200B SSS.

2. The engines are the same design, just different capacity. 180B (L18) 1800cc, 200B (L20) 2000cc. In Australia, the 180B SSS had twin SU carbs and a different cam to the sedan/wagon, whilst the 200B SSS engine was stock, as you would find in the sedan. Your engine number should start with L20.

3. Sounds like your car is stock, with a few minor add ons. My view is keep it stock. If any bits are damaged, replace with original. If you do change anything, I suggest do it so the car can be easily returned to original. I'm not a fan of engine swaps, especially where you have a very original example to start with.

4. Things you should check. Since it's been sitting so long, before running over any time/distance, definitely do a thorough cooling system flush. Maybe consider the condition of the thermostat and the water pump. Check all hoses and belts. Do the same with engine oil. I'd also consider the transmission and diff.
Is yours a manual? Check all brake lines and systems. Possibly one of your brake cylinders may have seized. Once you've done that, maybe run/drive it for a bit and if there's any other issues, they should present themselves.

Anyhow, whatever you do, look after it and please get some photos up.

Cheers mate, glad to be here. Yup, first time datsun/nissan owner.

I want to keep it as stock as i possibly can. I would like to maybe make a couple of easy engine mods, like type of carby/etc but it needs to stay tasteful and 99% original.

Yes, the car is manual.

As stated before, im new to this era of engines/technology and if you know of any good reading material i can go over that would be great. i want to try and do everything myself and get this car to be able to be a reliable daily car :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:10 pm 

love to see some pics...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:13 pm 

51071datto wrote:
love to see some pics...
Tomorrow afternoon i'm going to see the car again and make sure she can roll/etc to get onto a trailer. If she rolls i'll drag it out of the garage and take some happy snaps :D :cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:20 pm 

Firstly, well done on the great score!

Definately listen to Joe Aichinact. He has one of the cleanest 200b SSS Coupes in the country with very tasteful mods.

Do not butcher it. Do not cut a hole in the dash to fit a modern stereo. Do not put an SR in it. If it is as clean as you say it is then it'll be a rare find. I sometimes wish I had not done an engine conversion in mine but what is done is done.

Sorry to give you a hard time. I know it is your car and you can do as you please. I get a little passionate about the 810 series. Especially the SSS.

Best thing to do is give it a good wash down everywhere. Clean in the door jambs, under the boot lid etc. get it up on stands, take the wheels off and have a check over all your brakes, rubbers, shocks, hoses etc. Buy new spark plugs, replace all your oils, wiper blades etc. Get your radiator flushed, replace your top and bottom hoses, coolant, fan belt, thermostat and water pump.

Clean up all your earth connections just to make sure you get a good solid circuit with all your electrics. You will have some earths on the lower side of your battery tray. Remove the bolt, make all the contacting bits shiny again and screw the bolt back in.

Oh, remove, clean and regrease your front wheel bearings.

All this sounds like a lot but it really isn't. They are very easy to work on and parts are cheap. If you do these things right fron the start, it'll give you a good baseline on how the car and engine, gearbox etc run. They are very reliable cars. The only real pain you will have is the standard niki 2 barrell carby. They suck. Plain and simple. Biggest problem with is they get vaccume leaks and the larger secondary butterfly does not open. This will make your SSS about as powerful as a peanut.

Anyway, I'll finish now. Seriously, it is worth treating well. You'll love it as it is different and not a 1600. Plus, it sounds like it is the same colour as mine so it must be awesome ;)

Need help just ask. Oh, we need pics!

Cheers Scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:09 pm 

A late SR is not better as you can boost original L series
with equal results without worrying about head reliability,
countless mods or pollution gear modern look etc.
Great example right here, its a humble turbo porsche killer
eg. http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32113

Last edited by d on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:30 pm 

lov'in this sh... lov'in the datto passion.