Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: roll cages
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:18 pm 

Two questions.

1) Those of you who have them. What did you pay for them? I just got quoted a number and I want to see how it stacks up...

2) Dont suppose anyone's got one for a 1600 floating around, perchance??? :D

Paul.

Miracles do happen. Glenn McGrath making 61 is evidence of that...

Recommended traders: Shakes, DAZDA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:25 pm 

The one in my Sunny was around $2000.

When the Flag drops........... the Bullshit stops
Go hard or go home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:47 pm 

turbo510 would be a good person to talk to. his cage is very impressive, though i've forgotten where the pics are.

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:37 pm 

My cage was done by FabRaications.
I have nothing but the highest regard for Rai and his work. I would happily recomend him to anyone. I paid $4000 for my cage which I consider a bargain. It sits perfectly and is extremely tight in its clearances to the inside of the shell. It is fully FIA approved and came with all the necessary engineers certificates and documentation.
My cage goes from the rear wheel arches through to the front strut towers with a dash spreader bar and double intrusion bars on both sides. the cage is set up for a navigator as well so it runs double cross bracing in the main hoop.
I dont currently have photos on the net but I have some at home. I will try to get some put up for you guys to check out. Alternatively anyone in Melbourne is welcome to come and check it out in person.
Rai also did the cage in my brothers SR20det 1600 and it is also an awesome piece of workmanship. It is a lot simpler though and came in at under $2000.
pics of my bro's cage are here http://www.datsun510.com/photopost/show ... &ppuser=43
I would not use a bolt in cage, I threw two out a couple of years ago.
I would also not recomend making your own cage unless you are extremely confident in your welding abilities. A poorly manufactured cage is more dangerous than no cage at all.
Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:42 pm 

sorry to go a little off topic but....

what would be the best order to do things in when installing a roll cage in a bare metal rusteration.
1) install cage and then paint the car OR
2) paint the car and then install a roll cage

Im assuming 1 but....my car would be left unpainted for to long, so should i paint underneath, engine bay, boot, doors and outside (leave the interior) then get a roll cage installed and then paint interior? or should i do it another way (cage only in 'interior' not engine bay or boot). paint job would be done at home but paying for cage to be done.

Thanks

1970, Datsun 1600 - waiting rusteration
1989, Corolla SX - daily driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:07 pm 

Paul, while value for money is important, for something like a roll cage it is IMHO more important that you are getting a good cage. Doing cages is very time consuming work, doing a better cage is even more time consuming. Time costs money so............

I'd be asking questions about what the cage will consist of and how it will structurally stiffen the body as well as offer protection. The structural aspect is usually missed with a cheaper cage, and with some not so cheap. Basically the more body mounting points the more potential stiffness and the greater the cost.

Here are some examples of great and not so great cages plus some discussion http://e30m3performance.com/tech_articl ... posium.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:57 pm 

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I now have 4 different places who have quoted me. The prices range from 800 bucks to 3600. I wont say who quoted what, obviously.

I'm pretty sure I've found the bloke who'll do it.

260DET, the bloke I saw today answered all the questions I had before I'd even asked them. He knows his stuff. And I'm likely to go there.

Sr1600, definitely get the cage in before painting. If you're getting it tagged to the A pillar, (and it's recommended you do) the welding will scorch the paint. And if you dont take the screen out, it can damage that too. If being unpainted too long's gonna worry you, you can always drop a quick coat of paint on that you wont mind having damged, cause you'd just cut it back anyway.

Turbo510, Ah that's your cage I saw on Rai's site. There's a bit of steel in that. And I wont be using a bolt in, rest assured on that. They're no cheaper, anyway. And other than the side intrusions, your bro's cage is just what I'm getting. I'll have the doube side bars in mine.

Cheers guys for the info, I just wanted to be sure I was getting the right things told to me by the cage guys. Now I have to find a Race Seat for my somewhat wide ar*e. :D

Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:39 pm 

Sean,

Unless anything changes I'll likely be going to Meridian Motorsport. The guy in charge is a fellow by Brenton Alcorn, who punts a usefully speedy MR2 Toyota Sports Sedan. At least he did till he was brutally attacked by a rabid RX-7 at Sandown one year... :shock:

I do know Rai's very good and I've heard nothing bad about his work at all, but Brenton impressed the hell out of me today, pretty much answering all my questions before I'd even asked them. Meridian's pretty new, in Moorabbin, Friars Road, just off Keys Road. Added to the cage, they also did me a nice deal on a race suit for my somewhat larger than supermodel physique... :lol:

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:44 pm 

Paul, we sell cheap seats.....and thankfully for me they come in wide arse :D http://www.hgeconsulting.com.au/raceworx/obx.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:47 pm 

Hey i have a BOND half cage for a 1600 a bolt in its forsale $300 ono i want its also in Launceston tassie.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:39 pm 

richard,
that is one of the best sites i have seen. have been looking for a site like that for ages. thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:48 pm 

turbo510 i have been looking at the photos of your cage, it's just what i want for mine. what size tube is it and is it chrome moly?

robert