Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 pm 

hey guys!! guess who bought another B310! lol

EDIT: the whole Photobucket thing has ruined most of the pics but i've tried fixing where i can....

well after my last Sunny a few years back (http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=17963 i've gone few a couple of Datsuns, mainly a '79 A10 stanza, with a crazy low 20k on the clock, but i really found that one to be too good to really enjoy, i found myself not driving it thru fear of adding mileage to the car, so i decided to move it on to someone else, and she now lives with another forum member...

but as with all good addictions i can't stay away for too long... and when this was sent to me on facebook

[ img ]

[ img ]

how was i to resist...? same colour as my last B310, and keeping in line with my Red Datasun theme i seem to have going here... lol so i made the call 10 minutes after getting the pm sent to me, organised a time to go check it out and i ended up walking away with the car...!

now it's by no means the cleanest Sunny getting around, but it's perfect for what i was wanting in my next Datto, nice single owner, 150k car, 4sp manual, A12(a) with a 99% mint interior...

all round a pretty nice, honest car... there's plenty of downsides to the car, the paint up close is pretty much rubbish, definitely beed resprayed at some point, and possibly in Enamel, but right now, paint isn't a huge concern for me, i'll be spending my time doing as much paint correction as possible, so we'll see how that goes hopefully i can get some decent returns from it... but until then i leave you with my new toy!!

there's been a couple of updates, which i'm hoping to have up by the the end of today...

Last edited by lunchbox on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 pm 

Nice. Hope the tyers work out.... my a10 likes tyres or tires as the yanks say.
Whats the plan. Low rims? Bit more go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 pm 

i've never really seemed to have issues with either my last Sunny or A10 (tho i didn't drive that one enough to really run into too many issues lol) these we replaced just before i bought the car, so brandspankers on there, nothing special, just some goodyears, but they do the job!

i've actually already ditched the horrible white hubcaps below

[ img ]

and replaced them with painting the steelies black, and putting the original centercaps i had from my last sunny back on

also did a quick bit of detailing, moreso to get a clean slate to work from, the boot was one of the worse panels and being flat it was a good place to start...

wet sanding is the next course of action, but that can wait for now...

Last edited by lunchbox on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:24 pm 

the basic plan for the car (which is likely to change 10 times knowing me) is a basic cruiser with the ability to have some fun chucking it around the twisties, the girlfriend will also be driving it for a bit, so it has to be a bit of a compromise, but i would still like to have plenty of fun in it...

ideally i'd like to see coil overs all round, widened stockies (maybe R31 15" stockies down the track) as well as some general bracing etc... engine will be kept fairly mild, might do some head work, 32/36 DGV extractors/1.75" back... and if i can be bothered pulling the engine out i may do a cam and supporting work... clutch needs a little love atm as it's got a pretty decent shudder on take off, so will be upgrading that at the same time...

all in all it's a nice little bit of gear i can have some fun with, without breaking the bank... i'm currently in the middle of a big power 355 stroker build for my daily driver VS caprice, so once that comes back (hoping next week *fingers crossed) i won't want to be spending that sort of money on another rebuild for this, so keeping it simple is the key, and building something i can take out and have some sensible fun with...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:02 pm 

Yep. Keep it simple. Famous last words lol.

If you keep to th thelan you will have a fun handling car. Save the burnouts for the vs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:09 pm 

hahaha sadly i know that sentiment well... the 355 build in the caprice start off as simply "should get that leaky rear main seal fixed soon" + "ohhh look, i got quite the decent tax return this year!" = 355 stroker, full stage 3 package... oops... so yeah, this one i think has to be kept in line... but then in saying it, i probably shouldn't have even bought this one... lol but thats what happens when you dangle a Datsun in front of me... lol

but i'm definitely keen on keeping things simple, just a nice car i can have a heap of fun in without worry of hurting myself, others or the car... fingers crossed i can keep to that plan! hahaha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:11 pm 

EDIT: damn double post lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:38 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Good to see you're back in a Sunny! Are you still down on the Peninsula? I'm not, but hey, I still head down there sometimes. Get some lowering happening and then cruise!

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:52 pm 

green200b wrote:
Good to see you're back in a Sunny! Are you still down on the Peninsula? I'm not, but hey, I still head down there sometimes. Get some lowering happening and then cruise!

hahaha thank you Alistair, it's been FAR too long between Sunny's!!

funnily enough i actually made a little edit of my original sunny when i first bought it some 7 years ago, and this one only a few days ago...

[ img ]

i truly does feel great being back in a B310 again... yeah still down on the peninsula, don't see that changing anytime soon, love it down here! and trust me, lows are on their way!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:35 pm 

Finally got around to ditching those woeful driving lights, luckily there's no rust around the holes, so i'm looking into some way to fill them, thinking just some round headed bolts for now, as the holes are near on perfectly aligned with the factory round headed bolts for the bumper mounts... but as soon as the driving lights were gone everything started to feel right again...

[ img ]

unfortunately it would also seem that the alternator has just given up the ghost, seems to be the regulator, as while it's running it sees 12.4v, but gets irregular spikes up to 18v...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:57 pm 

well considering i'm back digging around some tech threads, i figured i'd post up a couple of pics from the last 6months...

i have barely really even touched the car in this time, i just haven't had the time, however due to a gearbox breakage in my daily driver i've found myself back in the datto for daily duties! got to admit, it feels nice...

so anyways, just a few random happy snaps from the last 6 months...

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

look chrome dress rings, see i have done SOMETHING in the last 6 months.. hahaha
[ img ]

i've also stripped off the black stripes down the side, and i'm not playing with wheel options...

[ img ]

these are my classic Advan A3C's, 2.7kg each, this week i'm also picking up a set of gold meshies, as well a hopefully grabbing a set of 5, 15x6" r31 spares wheels... so i have a few options on which way to go... really i think it needs more lows before too much effort goes into the wheel selection, but that will come later, wanting to do everything properly this time around, so resisting the urge to pull out the grinder... lol

so yeah... not overly exciting updates, but you guys got a couple of random pretty pictures! hahaha

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:21 pm 

so another little mini update... well, kinda almost normal sized...

the other night on the way home i noticed the temp sky rocket, babied her home and diagnosed head gasket issues... in reality it wasn't unexpected, the car hadn't driven more than 100km since 2010... so issues were bound to pop up...

dropped her off at my local mechanic and once the head came off it looks as tho the gasket has been done recently... there were no major visible issues with the gasket either, so we're thinking it may have just been a poorly done job, or possibly a cracked head...

[ img ]

either way it's off with the head guy now, while it's off it will be getting a new cam and associated stuff, water pump timing chain etc, if this head comes back fine or fixable then it'll also be getting a full port job as well as bigger valves etc...

all in all it should be a fun little package once i get her back!! then i just have to look into the bolt on side of things, carbs, exhaust spark... etc etc...

oh and another pic from the day before the issues popped up... lol

[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:46 am 

Thermostat maybe.
Buy 2nd hand car plus buy new thermostat - that's my rule after seeing a couple of old thermostats play up.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:04 pm 

xfacta wrote:
Thermostat maybe.
Buy 2nd hand car plus buy new thermostat - that's my rule after seeing a couple of old thermostats play up.
thermostat may answer the over heating issue, but won't fix the water in the 3rd cylinder lol as well as the definite water/oil contamination... lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:08 am 

well for some minor updates...!

but engine is just about ready to fire now, just waiting on run in oils etc...

but we'll run through a little lead up to now... it's pretty strait forward stuff, but it's my 1st datsun engine build, so i like sharing pics! lol

so engine out...
[ img ]

and onto the stand...

[ img ]

it was then stripped right down and sent off for a deck and hone and came back looking a little nicer (only 1st coat of paint)

[ img ]

head turned out to have a rather lovely large crack, so a new head was sourced, which was further ported, big valves, and fresh rocker gear, heavy duty valve springs etc, the usual...

[ img ]

also sent the cam of for a regrind by clive/wade cams...

[ img ]

[ img ]

which is where we got to this point...

[ img ]

the 4speed has also been cleaned up, with the gear selector overhauled etc, as it was fairly sloppy, new HD clutch kit fitted, with lightened flywheel, and finally to where we are today, waiting on fluids!

[ img ]

so from what started as a quick headgasket, turned into somewhat getting carried away, but it should make for a nice tidy little combo, from the cam specs i'm not expecting too much just a nice improvement over stock, though i would love to hear some thoughts on how she may run? not having built an a12 before i'm not sure how that cam should respond... i'd LOVE to hear some thoughts...

for now the standard headers/exhaust and carb/manifold will be retained, at least for the run in period, i've already spent FAR more than planned on the rebuild... lol next stage will basically being the a fore mentioned exhaust/intake upgrades, as well as a full tidy up of the engine bay, including hidden wiring, relocating the battery to the boot, and some fresh paint... so hopefully that will all be done before christmas...

thanks for looking guys! i know my build doesn't compare to a lot of your stuff, but i must say i'm quite happy with how she's coming along!