Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:58 pm 

Hi,

I have been packing up all of my stuff into the datto and as I was puttign the jap dash in I remembered how I haven't had the time to install it and how I would like to wire it up and get it going.

The one problem I have is that the dash when I purchased it never came with a wiring loom.

I had been thinking of making my own but I am not sure how since the plug on the back has a different number of pins and also dont know how an after market oil press sender would make the oil press gauge on the SSS dash work???

woudl anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or a spare loom lying around by any chance???

shoudl I just give the job to a Auto Sparky????

I'd rather do it my self if I had a diagram and make a loom for it, oh and also does anyone know how to make the tacho actually work?

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:20 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I'll have a look tonight - I just possibly might have the round plug and a bit of the wiring that I cut out of a SSS I wrecked years ago. Don't hold your breath though, I gave away a lot of stuff a few years back and I think it may have been in amongst that :?

I've got a factory workshop manual which would have a wiring diagram, I'll try to remember to scan that tonight for you.

And I have got an early model tacho working without the correct wiring. I had (well, still have) one fitted into my old 1600's dash. Yet again, I can check tonight but from memory it was just connected to one of the terminals on the coil and maybe to power ? A look at a diagram or the 1600 itself will confirm it.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:29 pm 

Hey guys, please share that diagram if posible. I have a 610 ( LHD ) and I am going to install the round gauge SSS cluster in my 610, as soon as I make the fiber glass dash, I am reversing the order of the three large gauges vs the 3 small ones, so as to fit the cluster within a LHD Datsun 610.

Then the wiring fun will begin.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:49 pm 

Dave wrote:
I'll have a look tonight - I just possibly might have the round plug and a bit of the wiring that I cut out of a SSS I wrecked years ago. Don't hold your breath though, I gave away a lot of stuff a few years back and I think it may have been in amongst that :?

I've got a factory workshop manual which would have a wiring diagram, I'll try to remember to scan that tonight for you.

And I have got an early model tacho working without the correct wiring. I had (well, still have) one fitted into my old 1600's dash. Yet again, I can check tonight but from memory it was just connected to one of the terminals on the coil and maybe to power ? A look at a diagram or the 1600 itself will confirm it.
Thanks Dave :thumbsup:

would really apreciate that very much!

btw I have tried to get the later model tacho (rectangular gauges) to work with no avail and I was starting to think it was due to the BB elec dizzy but still can't get it to work, hence why I want to knwo how to hook up the one on the SSS dash.

Cheers!

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:23 pm 

This is just the topic I was about to post. I am doing the same with my SSS, I was only looking at the jap dash the other day and was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram.

I have the plug but the wires are only about 2 inches long.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:15 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sorry to take so long to reply.

I had a look in the shed, and at the old man's on Sunday, and I can't find the spare plug I used to have. I'd say its been given away at some point in the past :? .

I'll scan the factory service manual wiring diagram at work tommorow and post it for you. From a quick look, the round instrument plug may be the same for SSS and sedan, different terminals xonnected up to it, but the wiring diagram shows the same round, 12 pin plug for each model. Maybe you can adapt a sedan one to do the job ?

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:38 am 

Dave wrote:
Sorry to take so long to reply.

I had a look in the shed, and at the old man's on Sunday, and I can't find the spare plug I used to have. I'd say its been given away at some point in the past :? .

I'll scan the factory service manual wiring diagram at work tommorow and post it for you. From a quick look, the round instrument plug may be the same for SSS and sedan, different terminals xonnected up to it, but the wiring diagram shows the same round, 12 pin plug for each model. Maybe you can adapt a sedan one to do the job ?
that's alright Dave.

yeah I know that it has the connection on the other side of the dash just behind the oil, temp, fuel gauges but don't remember if there is anythign else behind the speedo.

yeah if you can shoot me a scan of that diagram that woudl be sweet as!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:41 pm 

Dave,

Just wondering if you've had a chance to scan that diagram?????

Cheers!

Alex

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:30 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Here's the best I could come up with - the main wiring diagram is one of those fold-out three page jobs. Here are the raw images from the scanner so you can open them however you want. Unfortunately, photobucket reduced them to 1Mb in size, hopefully the quality is still good enough to use. The last three are the three sections of the fold-out bit, you'll need to stick them back together somehow (print out and stickytape ??)

If its not clear enough, drop me a PM with your home address and I'll use the old school way - a photocopier and an envelope !!

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69 ... SON001.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69 ... SON002.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69 ... SON003.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69 ... SON004.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69 ... SON005.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69 ... SON006.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69 ... SON008.jpg

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69 ... SON009.jpg

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:42 pm 

Thanks for that Dave, awsome just what I needed. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:55 am 

Awesome stuff Dave :thumbsup:

Just one problem, the net here at work blocks photobucket so I can't see the images and I've also tried at home but my net is super slow atm.

you think you could email them to me?

my email is: Alex1.Pereira@psnworld.com

better this way since I have access to laser priters and could print them out in A3 paper or if I was game enoug A0 to make one massive wall size diagram lol.....

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:46 am 

I've played with a lot of 180b dashes over my tinkering time.

As far as i know the dash plug is the same as the std 180b, lights on the tacho are driven from 2 links to the main cluster, and the tacho feed is connected by a seperate link behind the dash. It existed in my 74 180b std, and basically just need to break the connection, and put the tacho link inbetween the 2 plugs of the link.
(Tacho senses the ripples created in the voltage of the +ve feed to the coil as it fires.
-Paul

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:28 pm 

blackadder wrote:
I've played with a lot of 180b dashes over my tinkering time.

As far as I know the dash plug is the same as the std 180b, lights on the tacho are driven from 2 links to the main cluster, and the tacho feed is connected by a seperate link behind the dash. It existed in my 74 180b std, and basically just need to break the connection, and put the tacho link inbetween the 2 plugs of the link.
(Tacho senses the ripples created in the voltage of the +ve feed to the coil as it fires.
-Paul
I've pluged it in as is and the lights are all messed up, the right indicator is the IGN light and the lights are real dim when I turn on the head lights.

I defintely have to make another loom to come off the right ports on the plug into the correct pins on the back of the dash.

I wanna have it all wired up corectly since I have now moved my after market gauges from the single DIN slot next to the clock (stock cluster) to where the air vents are on the centre console; so i pretty much have no vents now, just gauges :wink:

Ah also I want to know if the electronic oil pressure sensor (aftermarket gauge) would make the oil press gauge on the SSS dash work?

I also know for a fact that the cluster lights up lime green, what I had doen on the stock cluster was remove the green caps off and fit some white LEDs since it's much brigter that way and compliments the gauges I have (defi style), does the SSS cluster have these green caps?????

would be nice if everything worked together.

Alex :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:09 pm 

Ok so I've spent most of my saturday hooking the dash up and IT WORKS!

i had to pull out all of the pins on the rear plug and put them back in sequence with the diagram that Dave provided me with, also I was lucky to have found a spare plug I had lying around to make up for the smaller three gauges on the passengers side and it all worked fine.

So I moved onto wiring up the Tacho and remember reading about how the wiring comes from the - side of the coil into one of the plugs then out the other, nothing happened so then swapped them around, still nothing.

so I hooked up a test light to the wires I fitted to the - sid eof the coil and it does flash as in its geting a pulse.

so pretty much I have one double wire with both of them hooked up on - side of the coil and one wire going to one of the plugs and the other to the second plug, swaping them around does nothing so I tried the + side just to have the wires heat up and go all gaga....

still can't work out why it wont work, like would one of the wires go to the - on the coil and the other be grounded in the engine bay then on the tacho end they're just plugged in????

I have tried and tried but no luck.......

**EDIT**

Hahaha I was so wrong, I got it going now felt like jumping through the roof once i saw that needle move...

For future reference to those who wanna do the same, the tacho pretty much intercepts the wire that feeds power to the coil, so you pretty much is unplug that wire and run one wire from that plug up to the Tacho, then another wire out off the Tacho (second plug) to the Coil.

so the Tacho pretty much intercepts the line in between the plug on the original loom (black white trace) and the + terminal on the coil.

if it doesnt work then just swap the wires on the back of the Tacho.

I made a simple little schematic to explain.

Oh also looks like the one only thing i now need is a SSS pressure switch thus to make the OIl press gauge work.

Alex

Attachments:
File comment: Quick Schematic of wiring sequence for 180BSSS Tacho with Series Blue Bird Distributor.
Tacho-Wiring.ppt [17.5 KiB]
Downloaded 358 times

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:31 pm 

I know this is an old thread but did you end up getting the oil pressure guage working?