Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Glass Prep
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:12 am 

Hey All,

I'm about to start work on the glass and preparing it for the freshly painted 1600. I'm looking for some tips.

1. Can you easily remove the glass from the metal frame it sits on?
2. Anyone have tips on removing window tint? Amonia seems to be one of the options and a heat gun (not together), I have done searchs just looking for some experience from people on these forums
3. I want to polish up the glass and remove any imperfections, looking for tips on what people may have done restoring thier windows. There are heaps of conflicting opinions on this with regards to different polishes...

Cheers,

Trent

Post subject: Re: Glass Prep
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:50 pm 

I used autoglym car glass polish on the windows in the 260c and they come up alright. Maybe try wax and grease remover and a razor blade to remove the window tint (works well for overspray on glass) if the glass is wet it works easier. There are probably easier ways than the old razor blade trick. Are your metal frames rusty?

1974 B120

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:21 pm 

Cerium Oxide is a great glass polish. We used to use it at Trico (before they went all panzy like and shipped up to China) to polish the windscreens before running life tests. Good luck in getting some though :(
Perhaps try:
http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/index. ... ts_id=1421
If you get some, let me know and I will buy some off you to polish some of the imperfections and scratches out of my screens...

Heat guns by themselves seam to work pretty well in removing tint. With the Stagea, I managed to peel off the whole lot on the back window in one hit. Although it was newer tint.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 pm 

Trent
Are you talking about the window glass in the doors. I assume the rubber has perished or frame eaten away. If so go to a very good rubber store (where people know what they are talking about). They should have a product there called green rubber. Cut strips to the size of the inner frame . Soak this green rubber in Kerosine (i think , they will tell you) for a short time. Rubber will become very slippery and plyable Force rubber and window into metal frame and leave to cure and dry out. Once dry you will never move it if you have done it correctly. With respect tp cleaning glass refer other comments as i haven't done it.
rgds wnw-244

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:19 pm 

Thanks All.

- It's the glass on the doors and the rear window
- I'll start tomorrow and work on getting the old tint off then buy some polish, Nik I have to read about this polish link you sent
- I don't have any rubber for the car at the moment, waiting on someone to get back to me with pricing, So will buy some soon I hope
- I've got a heat gun so maybe just start with some light heat and see what happens.

Cheers,

Trent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:30 pm 

Rob Thompson (or is it Bill Thompson) auto rubber in Bayswater is highly recommended. I used one of their 1600 kits and pretty much everything fitted and fitted very well. From memory their kits were reasonably priced too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:51 pm 

Ahh thanks Nik, I'll look them up! Nice and close.