Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: L20B Alternator in 180b
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:36 pm 

Hey,

Any help would be good, have looked through older threads but can't make figure out if they answer my question or not.

I have a L20B in my 180B, multimeter reads no charge while engine running.
Pulled alternator out, checked wiring, soldered any dodgy connections, put back in the car, still no charge.
Checked the regulator, looked sweet, multimeter reading from one side of the reg wiring to the other so i guess there is a connection.

I guess my question is, am I running the wrong wiring maybe? as in maybe 2 regulators, 1 external from the 180b wiring and 1 internally in the L20B regulator? does that matter.

Or doesn't it sound like the alternator is fried? it looked ok, long brushes, clean, blah blah. Should it have 3 wires also? 1 earth, 1 battery and one with a plug straight into the back.

Any help would be wicked. Cant get hold of another one to try but will buy a new one if it looks like its the issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:01 am 

I guess my question is, am I running the wrong wiring maybe? as in maybe 2 regulators, 1 external from the 180b wiring and 1 internally in the L20B regulator? does that matter.

YES!!!!!! L20 had 50amp external reg alt and about 78/79 had IR alternators. ONly YOu know what YOU have. these alt can look the same on outside soemtimes.

If you have a external volt reg on and install a IR alternator you need to jumper the wires.

just pull the old volt reg out and on the engine side connector make 2 jumper male blade connecors and insert. NO need to cut wires and can go back to stock if needed

Not positive but the colors should still be the same on later datsuns.

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphot ... ss=&sort=1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:21 am 

wow wiring diagrams always get me,

so just jump the regulator in the plug at the fuse box yeah. that sound easy if thats it. and if its not charging then new alternator i guess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:57 am 

You jumper at the external volt reg connector.Means pull the External volt reg out. Throw it in the Billabong. then make 2 jumper wires and stick in the connector that is there and it should work. Makesure you get the color right. Or ck to see if the colors even match up at all with the drwng I sent you. Another method is to find a old brokevolt reg cut the reg off itself and use the wires there as the jumpers(solder them and heat shrink) and plug them in there. But make sure the colors match as I have seen aftermarket VRs that dont match so also make sure where the go to the engine harness.

I dont know if a 610 uses round connctors or the standard connector like a 510.
510 use flat blade connector and I know the Datsun 620 used a round connector.
But you get my drift on what to do.

This has nothing to do with the fuse box.

the older EXTERNAL REG alternators 35amp and some 50amp had a black gage in back which is EZ to tell but I had others where I couldnt tell if they were one or the other.

Maybe it better to post photos of what you got. or part numbers.

be honest I run the old external alternator as I have about 5 new alternators from nissan ,have not done this conversion my self but seen them on 510s around here.