Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:23 pm 

Hey folks... now i know this aint Datsun related but it is nissan related and an engine i'm sure few of you are familiar with and i can't be bothered signing up to skylinesaus just to ask.

Anyway... been having this problem for a while now, ever since we've had hotter weather really, where my skyline feels like it's detonating (not sure exactly as i've never had a car do this before just heard of engine detonating and it's sounds correct). It struggles sometimes to rev properly, especially up hills but mostly when you plant your foot to accelerate, it kinda feels like it's chugging. This problem i never have if i only drive it for say half an hour in the heat or on cold day, but if i've been driving a while it happens. For reference this is in a S1 R33gtst stock standard sedan.
Now i replaced my spark plugs with some higher heat ones as recomended by a mate who thinks he knows everything and i was skeptical and after spending about $100 in some irridium plugs the problem remains. I've read up and found taht skyline coil packs are prone to failing in the heat and producing these symptoms and just want to know what to do. Should i replace them with OEM ones and hope for the best or should I fork out and get either these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/YELLOW-JACKETS-C ... 639wt_1039 or sell me kidney and buy these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SPARK-PLUG-COIL- ... 276wt_1139

Has anyone had experience with either of these or know of any other replacement coil packs? Thanks for all your help, just trying to get the old girl running right as we are going to be selling it soon and it's the only thing bad about the whole car (might just sell it in winter lol)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:17 pm 
Guru

While I won't discount the coil packs completely, does the engine burn/use any oil?
If the turbo seals are tired the engine may be drawing in some oil and once it gets hot it creates the detonation :?

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:44 pm 
Old Digger

What is the plug gap? I used to run .8 on the wifes R33. That fixed misses at idle and a host of stumbles under load. If you think its pinging check all of your intake piping and vac hoses. Clean the AFM it might be cakeed with dirt and giving a incorrect reading. Check base timing also. My experiance with a dodgy coil pack is generally you will loose power and have a bunch of stumbling after a certain RPM under load. If you do think it is coil pack related it will most probably be only 1 that is playing up. Buy a good spare and swap each pack out until the symptoms disapear. I must say I have never had a RB25DET coil pack fail on me. Have had a few CA packs die though. Not CA and RB packs looks the same but have a different resistance and wiring pinout. Welcome to the Nissan engine hickup family :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:51 pm 

No definitely not burning any oil at all.

And MYDATO, wouldn't all those things affect it every day? This problem generally only ever shows up on a 30c+ day after driving for an hour or more, also it's a problem that hardly ever shows up as i only drive it to and from work, and even when i have driven it to melbourne and back (3 hour round trip) on a mild day i have not had the problem. However i drove it to ararat recently(hor and a half there and back) on a 35c day and it was doing it all the way home.

Checked the AFM too and cleaned it with some cleaner, not sure on the plug gaps, would have been set to whatever the manual said

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:53 pm 

Also, i guess as it is only an intermittant problem, swapping the coil packs with a good one to find which one has failed may be difficult, but may be the way to go.... and a good excuse to go for a long cruise on a sunny day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:55 pm 
Old Digger

I'd say grab a spare pack and start swapping them around when the problem starts. It is quite common to close the gap on the plugs on most turbo charge nissan engines. Genrally .2mm for stock is enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:58 pm 

.2mm less than is stated in the manual? I'll give that a go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:01 pm 
Old Digger

yep. From memory I think stock is around 1.0-1.1mm?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm 

thanks... i will try that.