Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: RB25 TPS on a Z20E
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:00 am 

Along with my injectors not working another problem has surfaced, regarding the TPS.
I'm using the RB25DET throttle body but it opens clockwise, and the Z20 and CA opens anticlockwise. So the idle contact is at wide open throttle and opposite :P

So now I need to know if I can use a RB25 TPS with my Z20 efi harness?

The Z20 just has the simplest type with two contact points for idle and wot. I'm guessing the RB one has this too along with another connector for the potmeter.
I'm guessing i could splice in the connector for idle contact and wot and just leave the potmeter one alone?
piccy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/THROTTLE-POSITION-S ... 255effda58

Post subject: Re: RB25 TPS on a Z20E
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:03 pm 

The rb25 one should have a 3 wire plug and a 2 wire plug.

Just hook the ecu wires up to the 2 wire plug and go from there. It shouldnt matter what wire goes where as its not pole specific.

Im using the 3 wire that is for the potentiometer but with the microtech ecu. This gives me the % of how far the tps is open.

You just need the 2 wire, yes im open, no im closed system.

Most later model tps' will have a 2 and 3 wire plug, as the factory ecu's use this for a fail safe/safe mode/limp home mode. Auto for automatic control sensing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:06 am 

2 wire plug? the ones I have been looking at all have two Three wire plugs. One for the potmeter(black, white and red) and one for tp switch.

However I had an idea the other day. Since the TPS is just an idle contact, and a wot contact. I could just open the tps and switch the two wires around to make the wot contact function as the idle contact and vice versa. I also think 80's Porsche 911 and 944 uses a tps that turns the correct way for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:08 pm 

How many wires are on the loom that connect to the TPS?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:15 pm 

Ah sh*t i see my **** up. 3 wires.

Um, im hitting the wreckers this weekend to grab some crap so ill grab one that will work for you and post your way should you not source one.

Which side does the tps need to be on, drivers side or passengers side of the tb?

And which orientation does it need to be?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:49 am 

depends on what side you look from :P It needs to be on the drivers side(lhd), and the valve must open clockwise.

here's a pic: [ img ]

Awesome if you find something. I took a look under the bonnet of my gf's toyota yaris 1.3, and there was a tiny little tps on the tiny little TB :P and best of all it turns clockwise. I don't know however if its a throttle position SWITCH or if its a throttle position SENSOR. I need to do some research on that when I have some spare time :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:36 am 

Thats right, i forget you guys are all back to front. lol.

Looking at the image, i would have thought the orientation of the TPS would be anti clockwise. As in your picture, if you depress the accelerator pedal the cable will pull the TB in a clockwise manner. On the flip side of the shaft, this would mean the TPS is opening in an anti clockwise position.

TBH i also forgot to source you some TPS's. As i got carried away finding the bits i needed. I will keep my eyes out for some. Gotta hit it again soon. Need more bits. Ill check the TPS i have in the shed from my KA24de FWD head and intake. I think it may work for you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:12 am 

Correct but I thought the direction of the tps unit was expressed by looking at the shaft-side of the tps? anyhow we both know what direction it turns obviously.

If you could look at that KA tps it would be great, I think it might turn the correct way from what I've seen of the TB's on ebay :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:33 pm 

Ah i see where your coming from. All good.

Im about to go for lunch so ill check it out for you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 pm 

Yeah no good man, opens in reverse to what you need.

The one on my z18et atm is also in reverse. The TPS is on the correct side, but the butterfly opens in reverse.

Will keep my eyes open for something that will suit you. May be able to get some time over the weekend to go the wreckers again. But will have to see.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:00 am 

yeah, as said on aussiebluebirds i found one from a Corolla, or was it carina? was a toyota at least :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 pm 

Yeah i spied that on AussieBB. Good work. Ill still keep my eyes open and send you some for spares. Just in case it fails on you. After all it was a lengthy search.