Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:26 pm 

Hey, Does anyone know how the wipers park on a 1600? If I switch mine on, they don't turn off. If I pull the switch out a little, I can make them stop, but they stop at that position and dont return to the park position.

Also, it does this intermittently, more so after being used for a while. (just went down to check it and it works fine now, but didnt turn off after used for a few wipes after a wet section of stage on Sunday!) Everything points to a dodgy switch, but I swapped it with another a while back it did the same thing.

Any info on how this works would be great. Even just wiring diagram. I take it these send a park signal to the motor when the switch is off?

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 pm 

Ahh. I know this. It happened when i wired in a bluey indicator unit instead of the normal 1600 switches and indicator. Can't remember what the issue was however. But I don't think its the switch causing your problem. It sounds more like a bad earth to me. Remember, the 1600's make things work when the component is earthed. Not when fed power as there is power to the circuit all the time.
I can think of a broken wire of some sort or something earthing when it shouldn't.
There should be a relay from the fuse box to the wiper motor also (I think). IF that is giving trouble, then that should be one cause also, because it would earth until the wiper docks, then it should shut off.
I'll see if i can brain storm some more later.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 pm 
Old Digger

I had the same issue. It was the contact switch in the wiper motor itself. A quick clean with contact cleaner and all good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:47 pm 

the switch is serviceable and would be worth a look. i did mine 6 months ago

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:01 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

MYDATO wrote:
I had the same issue. It was the contact switch in the wiper motor itself. A quick clean with contact cleaner and all good.
Second this. There is a switch underneath the wiper motor cover (auto stop) that makes and breaks the power as it turns internally. I'd look here...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:28 am 

Yeah, good points. I didn't think about that side of it. Is it dependent on what model you are using for a wiper motor? I guess mine was due to the fact we were re-wiring the indicators and wipers of the car onto the one unit, dismantling the old wiring. It didn't just stop self docking automatically, we had to re-connect it to make it work. So my solution probably isn't your answer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:17 pm 

Thanks for the replies so far. Just to complicate it, I am pretty sure its not the original wiper motor... I have attached a really bad pic from my phone in the dark before I had to catch a plane this morning!

Anyone know what it is?

I guess I need to find out whether it works by sending power or earth.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
wiper motor.jpg [ 376.92 KiB | Viewed 1895 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:56 pm 

I'll confirm that its Definitely not the original wiper motor. Could be the Mazda conversion? Yeah, i'd be looking into the wiring side of things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:44 am 

It says Nissan widetrack on it...So I guess a Bluey of some description.

Wiring checks out as I can see.

It gets stranger. It doesn't do it cold, but does it after a drive (heatsoak?). Last thing to check is the park contacts in the motor itself. I wonder if the heat is changing something in there...

Might be a good time to change to a late model switch as well I think.

Just to finish off on this, more as a reference than anything!

Went to the wreckers and got an S13 combination wiper/headlight indicator switch with loom, intermittent relay box plus a new wiper motor from a bluebird. It seems all the early 80's ones are 3 bolt mount (R31, U11, Maxima etc) so can use any of them. Picked up a spare at the same time. All this for $20!

Switch mounts on the column ok, column needs to be spaced out as it is smaller. Mounted the intermittent box and wired the switch to the box (easy as, colour to colour). This just left a power and earth, and then the wires coming out of the switch for int, low, high and washer.

I cut the plugs off each end of the wiper motor loom and wired the switch in at one end and the other end to the plug from the new wiper motor. Little bit of fiddling there, the S13 4 bolt motor and the early 3 bolts have slightly different pin combinations and I only had a S13 wiring diagram but got there in the end!

This is a race car though so I didnt use any of the plastic surrounds and all the wiring is in a different place as custom dash. It was also modified already to take the bluebird wiper motor.

Awesome conversion, well worth it as I now have 3 speed wipers, that I can reach while racing... This car is definitely more S13 than 1600 now!

I will wire in the indicator side of the switch today, and the headlight part of it some other time.