Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:53 am 

Not to long ago I bought a nice little 71 1600. It has had all the hard work done to it with fitting the SR20 (226rwkw), R200, coil overs... and generally it is in good condition. The paint is ok, could have got away with it, but thought new paint job.

Then I had this idea of taking it to the Summernats.. so the paint job got a little more serious. Currently it is being stripped to bare shell, all holes welded up that shouldnt be there, engine bay smoothed over, and any rust repaired.

The interoir will get a once over too, new door trims, hood lining and carpet. Also replacing parts inside that dont live up to Summernats standard.

It wont be a huge dollar show car, just a nice neat little 1600!

The colour, well the car is white.. and its going to stay white. At the moment Subaru Satin White Pearl is looking like a winner!!! Just trying to make white a little different!

Check out the colour here.. only watch first 30seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhV73EUQ1tE

Here are a couple of photo's!!! Berfore.. and started stripping. I have done more than when the last photo was taken!

[ img ]
[ img ]

So far its been fun stripping it down... better get back too it! Got to get the motor out today!

CHeers

Last edited by Ackley Improved on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:41 pm 

Wow, turning a great car into an even better one

how bad is the rust situation?

any significant other changes that will happen? rechrome, suspension redo/powdercoat, sound deadening cabin, etc

I dont know the current condition of the car, but by the photos it looks smick

all the best with the rebuild, do you have a set date you'd like this back on the road, before summernats

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:56 pm 

you could have barrel rolled it 6 times on the way home from buying it and it would still be better than some of the sht at summernats :p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:15 pm 

you're a brave man, car looked very complete but should look 10x better when you're finished.

I have to ask though, why go to all the effort of searching for a complete car when you're just going to tear it apart & rebuild it anyway? I guess you're starting with a better base (think I just answered my own question)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:57 pm 

I know how much money has gone into this car already before I bought it. As for running gear it has the best of everything. I wanted to buy one with all the hard work done here.

I want a very very nice 1600, and paint and a interior tidy up is the only thing stopping from be near perfect, well to my standards.

The underbody will be done black in a deadener, the interior all black except the roll cage which will be white. Exterior all white bar the chrome work etc. No gauges on the bonnet, even no big tacho.. The SSS dash has the tacho, but it will have a shift light hidden away!!!!

Going to put centre handbrake in too!!!

Ross did a real great job on this car before I bought it!!! Custom PWR intercooler, surge tank, R200 LSD, fully adjustable coil overs.

Now the body. My mate who is painting came around today to check things out. Overall the body is very good in regards to rust. What is showing is only surface rust. He found two previous rust repairs as well, which seem to be ok.

There is only one place which is a little weird, left side bottom of rear window. There is a fair bit of bog in there, but feeling on the inside no dints etc. Not to sure why at this stage but Soda blasting and sand blasting will show all!!!

Also whoever previously painted it set the poor little car up for a big fall later on in life with rust. Down the channels they have has some sort of yellow silican put in to smoot over, then painted over. Where ever this crap is, there is rust under it!!! Got to scrap every last bit of it out before blasting! Great job.

So, at this time it looks great in regards to bad rust, but as my mate said now was a good time to find it all... a few years down the track things wouldnt have been this good!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:40 pm 
Old Digger

Tyrie wrote:
you could have barrel rolled it 6 times on the way home from buying it and it would still be better than some of the sht at summernats :p
I agree. To be honest unless you pan on doing something very original (read never ever done before to a Datsun 1600) IMO you are wasting your money. What do you hope to achive at Summernats? The car already looks clean. You could have started another project. Anywho good luck with the build mate :thumbsup: . Keep the pics coming.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:03 pm 

MYDATO wrote:

I agree. To be honest unless you pan on doing something very original (read never ever done before to a Datsun 1600) IMO you are wasting your money. What do you hope to achive at Summernats? The car already looks clean. You could have started another project. Anywho good luck with the build mate :thumbsup: . Keep the pics coming.
Mate.. I am not taking it to Summernats for prize winning or anything like that. It is going there for FUN!!!! Just to hang out with other dato owners.. just plain old have a good time.

Will replace the exhaust as well. Stainless to replace the current one.... not to sure on system yet... never made a mandrel bend myself... could be interesting!!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 am 

Ackley Improved wrote:
MYDATO wrote:

Mate.. I am not taking it to Summernats for prize winning or anything like that. It is going there for FUN!!!! Just to hang out with other dato owners.. just plain old have a good time.
My point was that you didnt have to strip and respray it to go to summernats to have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 pm 

Ok, some new photos.

Now since I have destroyed the Dato, and have had the chance to give it a good looking over, I am glad it is getting a bare metal respray. I think it is right about at time to be done. Dont know how many more years before the rust got real bad.

Most of it is jst surface rust now.

What you can see in the channel is the rust under the silastic crap that was previous used. Its just rusted under it!

Also below rear window, deep with bog but still unsure why.. Soda blasting might show full story.

Will replace panel in engine bay where heater box sits other side. rust there too!!

Other than those, its not a bad shell. Underneath has taken a few dings, but nothng major.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

and where I am up too...
[ img ]

CHeers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:23 am 

love the wheels and the car

thats some dam thick bog :/

XR8 tow car
stocko 1200 ute

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:45 am 

Jordan wrote:
love the wheels and the car

thats some dam thick bog :/

Yeah, I still cant work out why... felt all inside guard, no dints. Maybe has had a new quater put on... not lined up real well???

Blasting will show all, but before then I have about 30 holes to weld up in the car!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:14 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

all 1600 sedans have alot around this area of the c-pillar/qtr, but i have found it to be leadwipe from factory.
If a quarter has been replaced, polyfiller (bog) will be used in this area to recreate the same profile...
If it's not rusting, i wouldnt have touched it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 pm 

My mate doing the panel work and painting hates filler, which is a good thing. He is curious to look at it and see what can be done in metal work before filler goes in!!!

I was looking at a 6 months turn around, would be nice if I can keep it at that!

Today I took out the wiring of the car. A SSS dash had been cut into original loom, and also a alarm is installed. Bit of work there, all laid out on shed floor for tomorrow to go through and see what can fixed to make less wire, and more neat.

I am very happy with the way the car has come apart. Very easy car to work on huh!

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:42 pm 

Update-

car is gutted... holes marked for welding up.

Bought

1.new throttle cable and mount to neaten the engine bay where is comes throught the firewall
2.floor mounted handbrake
3. new transmission cover to weld in, neater than what is currently there.

Found some more rust, nothing to drastic though.

Spent a good 6 hours so far removing the crap out of the roof channels. Still more to go. Surface rust is present under enough of it to be a problem.

Hopefully going to the blasters in the next couple of weeks, underbody blasted as well as the body etc.

She's going to be like a new one!!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:30 pm 

Found a couple of pics from a 2005 cruise I had (if it's the old IBO057), thought you'd be interested

[ img ]
[ img ]