Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:09 pm 

guys,

my pal has his headgasket changed and he did this himself without first making markings on the timing chain, now we cant put the thing back together again as we dont know how to get the timing marks done.its a chain driven engine and we really cant find any timing marks on the block or head.
anyone done this engine before , really need some help on how to get this done.
the engine is a 1.3 sohc E3 engine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:57 pm 

Its been afew years, (make that alot), since I've worked on one of these motors, so excuse my vague memory. Had a twin carb "s" when I was younger and did the headgasket in the driveway. They not to complicated.
Has he already bolted the head on? Did you unbolt the tensioner? I cant remember the exact system of chain tension on them..... getting to old (both me and the car :lol: )
Find the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley and rotate it round to TDC. At the same time get the valves on No1 cylinder to both be closed, ie both inlet and exhaust lobes should be pointing away from the valves. You should see a mark on the cam sprocket that will line up with a mark on the head looking through the sprocket. Bolt everything up, getting the distributor to just beyond firing position for No1 cylinder, and you should be about right with afew adjustments of timing.
Unless of course my brain functions have deteriorated over the years to the point of dementia?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:49 pm 

WotDat wrote:
Its been afew years, (make that alot), since I've worked on one of these motors, so excuse my vague memory. Had a twin carb "s" when I was younger and did the headgasket in the driveway. They not to complicated.
Has he already bolted the head on? Did you unbolt the tensioner? I cant remember the exact system of chain tension on them..... getting to old (both me and the car :lol: )
Find the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley and rotate it round to TDC. At the same time get the valves on No1 cylinder to both be closed, ie both inlet and exhaust lobes should be pointing away from the valves. You should see a mark on the cam sprocket that will line up with a mark on the head looking through the sprocket. Bolt everything up, getting the distributor to just beyond firing position for No1 cylinder, and you should be about right with afew adjustments of timing.
Unless of course my brain functions have deteriorated over the years to the point of dementia?
thanks for the pointers, well we still havent managed to get the thing properly in place yet as theres no timing marks that i can actually find on the block or on the head, the only ones i can actually see is on the cam sprocket which has a "f" and a "o" on the outer part of the thing but dunno where this lines up with cos theres no marks on the head.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dwanye

http://www.fordlaser.com might be a better place to get some answers, if you haven't found them already.