Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:18 am 

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd introduce myself....I'm a complete newb to both Datsun's and mechanics so bare with me for asking stupid questions.

First things first, here's my 120y

[ img ]

After doing some reading I've decided to tackle the suspension first, although at this stage I'm not looking at something to advanced, I'm just trying to get the stance sorted visibly, later comes the engine, with maybe a CA18 conversion or an EFI conversion on the current A12 stock engine.

My plan so far is to fit some lowering blocks to get the rear end down, this far I understand - or at least I think I do, But I am also struggling through the minefield of front suspension options, coilovers, cut springs and the custom solutions everyone has come up with.

I'm not too flush but would spend in the region of 500-800 for the right result, Ideally the option I took wouldn't require too much fabrication. I'm not too worried about it being comfortable, it really isn't a luxurious ride right now anyway.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this, I've read some of the tech wiki's but some Australian based advice wouldn't go a miss.

I'm also looking at changing those wheels, but I'm unsure on what rim/tyre size combo I'd be looking at - Can anyone tell me a bit more about the set up of the Datsun below?

[ img ]

Thanks in advance

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:11 am 
Guru

For the front suspension, I would suggest some aftermarket lowering springs e.g. King: -
70-79 1200/120Y (INC UTE) KDFL-57.

Don't go cutting springs, apart from being illegal it is very agricultural.

Depending on how low the car sits, I would also recommend fitting some correction blocks to the base of the struts: -
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
correction block.jpg [ 239.57 KiB | Viewed 2358 times ]
This block corrects the relationship between the strut and the control arm when the shorter coil spring is used.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:54 pm 

Nissanman, thanks for the reply - I half understand the need for the correction blocks.

Am I right in saying that this re-addresses the geometry of the suspension, ensuring maximum tyre contact with the road and reducing stress on the lower control arms?

I have noticed that some people install shorter struts, or modify the existing struts to make them shorter along with the lowering spring, why is this?

Would coilovers such as these ones from Paradise Racing http://paradiseracing.com/shop/chassis- ... over-kits/ eliminate the need for the correction block?

Again thanks for your input its much appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:24 pm 
Guru

You got it pretty much. They just bring the control arm back to about normal so the front wheel camber is not excessive.
If you like the camber don't bother with them :wink:
The control arm will be happy chappy either way.
The fitting of shorter struts may be required to make use of a shorter strut insert [shocker] if the original setup was ineffective.
The added bonus might be that you get a nice big disc brake setup as well :)

graemes@internode.on.net