Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:18 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Nice sunny, it's coming along great. Definitely needs a set of webers now.
Is it going to be super low like your last car?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:52 am 

Nad015 wrote:
Nice sunny, it's coming along great. Definitely needs a set of webers now.
Is it going to be super low like your last car?
thank you!!

i'm tossing up webbers and bike carbs, i like everything about bike carbs, but webbers are an easier path to go down...
it's certainly going to be low, but maybe with less of a cruiser look, more "wannabe a racecar when i grow up"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:20 pm 

Looks great.Its quite easy to get carried away when the engine is out. I am interested in how the cam will change the performance. The best modification we did to ours was the Weber carby. Instantly better driveabilty and economy. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:25 pm 

Jakesunny wrote:
Looks great.Its quite easy to get carried away when the engine is out. I am interested in how the cam will change the performance. The best modification we did to ours was the Weber carby. Instantly better driveabilty and economy. Keep up the good work.

thanks man! you and i both!! i'm VERY keen to see how it'll go, i think it would have neeted a nice improvement even just having a basic freshen up let alone with the work done... so i'm keen as mustard...

yeah i'm very much looking forward to sorting the intake/exhaust side of things, they would have to be such a restriction on the motors, even when stock, so i think it should make for a real nice improvement there...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:17 pm 

kay guy! so i have a complete and running motor!! WHOOO!!! still having some tuning issues however, but we haven't really looked into it a whole lot, i'm hoping maybe of of you guys may even have an idea of where to look...

however, lets bring on some pics!! lol

after the issues above with it refusing to even idle properly on the stock carb, i bit the bullet and bought a brand new Weber 40mm DCOE, and matching Redline manifold/linkage kit, while not the cheapest option around, i had some tax money burning a hole in my pocket, ordered from Weber in Braeside 4pm tuesday and had it in my hands midday wednesday, absolutely brilliant service!!

[ img ]

[ img ]

it's now MUCH happier, especially idling... however it's having some serious coughing issues under throttle...

here's a quick video showing our issues, 1st clip was us trying to start it before even getting a baseline tune happening, as you can see, wasn't going to happen, 3rd clip the throttle was a little sticky which we fixed, but the last clip is what happens under throttle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp6d9aopVMc

it doesn't seem to be leaning out, actually seems quite rich, but it may also spark issue where we're losing spark? one suggestion has been that the timing belt may be a tooth out? and another thought is that the stock headers are causing a major issue, whilst obviously with all the porting and cam/valve work done, as well as the bigger intake side of things the stock headers will cause a major restriction, would it be responsible for this sort of behaviour?

we're currently waiting on a new set of headers for it, as i've decided on a set of hurricane 4-1's, but there's a week lead time on them to be made, just so that we can eliminate that option, and it's something that needs to be done regardless...

but i'm keen to hear some thoughts, i'm very much out of my depths here as motors aren't my strong point, obviously my mechanics are a little more well versed than i, but again aren't overly well versed in worked A series datto's... lol so anything help would be much appreciated...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 pm 

You got an electric dizzy? Must have mod.
I think baz doesnt like those linkages due to sticking if over rotated.

From my limited dcoe experience, its a mix of air jets and chokes and timing.
What are all the jets and tubes and chokes in there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:44 pm 

unfamilia wrote:
You got an electric dizzy? Must have mod.
I think baz doesnt like those linkages due to sticking if over rotated.

From my limited dcoe experience, its a mix of air jets and chokes and timing.
What are all the jets and tubes and chokes in there?

no electric dizzy yet, but its high up on the list! yeah it was sticking at first, but we made a couple of quick mods to the linkages and it seems to have fixed the sticking for now...

the specs for the jetting etc i have for it are

30mm venturi
F7 e-tube
125 main jet
175 air corrector
55F9 idle jet
45 pump jet

most of that goes over my head as to what should be used etc, i do have understanding of whats what etc, just not sure what it should or shouldn't be using...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:15 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Tried using Google.com? Theres tonnes of info out there if you bother to look.

http://cnx.org/content/m37431/latest/

Best to get the car tuned properly on a dyno though if you can afford to...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:17 pm 

nick wrote:
Tried using Google.com? Theres tonnes of info out there if you bother to look.

http://cnx.org/content/m37431/latest/

Best to get the car tuned properly on a dyno though if you can afford to...

oh i have tried google, that was my 1st port of call, infact that particular article helped me set the idle mixture... however if you'd like to re-read the article you shared, you'll find it doesn't answer the question i have asked here, which is spitting under throttle i've also spent hours searching this forum for related topics, however to not much luck...

so before you give me the old "if you bother to look" line, remember not everyone has the same passion for motors in specific, i LOVE my datsuns, but motors aren't my thing, and perhaps you don't mean the slightest bit of offence in your post, but it very much seems that way dude...

while i can most certainly afford to have the car tuned on a dyno, but i'd rather sort and fix a few issues before hand, no point booking a day on the dyno and rocking up only to find it's abasic issue in the dizzy (for example) and it'll take a couple of days to get parts, it's wasting both mine and the dyno operators time, i'd rather book in once the car is at a point where i know it's only the tune left... i like the idea of getting my hands dirty even if my knowledge is lower than most on the topic, once the car is in more of a drivable state it'll be booked in for Dyno time,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:16 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Guess it does sound blunt now i hav time to read it back.
Just trying to say quickly that you should be able to find info about jetting and tuning webers on Google as you wernt sure what each jet did in your last post.
You may also find on other sites that someones already had a similar problem as you. This search shouldnt be limited to datsun specific sites either.
Most likely it is the cam timing or choke/jet sizing though as has been said already.
Was the cam setup correctly? Double check this.
The 40mm DCOE is a fairly large carb to be putting on that motor so you shouldnt expect it to work well straight out of the box unless the supplier has modified it to better suit your motor. Even then it will need proper fine tuning.
If this wasnt the case with the supplier and you cant find this info with a search try and ask the supplier for advise on choke and jet sizing and consider investing first in a good book or two on Webers like these:
http://www.ebay.com.au.au/itm/Weber-Car ... 73d&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au.au/itm/How-to-Bu ... 8202&rt=nc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:28 am 

all good dude, the issue with the internet has always been a lack of context, sorry for jumping on the defense there.

the carb was setup by weber performance before i picked it up, though from what i can find the choke seems a bit big at 30mm, most people running around the 1.2l range seem to run closer to a 27mm choke, but again as i've said above i'm not too sure how much of a difference that will make in the real world...

but yeah i'm slowly getting there, ordered the headers today, just so i can cross that issue off the list, i'll most likely up the dizzy/ignition as well while i'm at it, these are things i really should have done from the word go but sort of took the easy route of rebuilding stock, once thats done and we can rule out those things as well as double checking the cam timing, then we'll look into the tuning side of things...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:02 am 

long time no update, but i figured i'd post this here... currently running with open headers... but i'm happy with the progress so far...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e2VqNf ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:51 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Video won't work, it says it's private???

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:00 pm 

Nad015 wrote:
Video won't work, it says it's private???

well that explains a lot!! haha

i hadn't hit the "publish" button... should work now, if not here's a fresh link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e2VqNf9jMM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:08 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Cool dude, is that just headers no exhaust at all.?

Have u actually got to drive the car properly yet after the engine build?