Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Wardys Sedan project
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 am 
Old Digger

When I spary 2 pak I never use any reducer. I warm the paint to about 40 degrees and then shoot it on warm panels. I find this way no runs will happen and you get the best off the gun finish. Pot life is reduced with this method though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:34 pm 

sorry for the high jacked thread.
So mydato, you'de spray the car out on the sun on a nice warm day or in front of lights?
I did my old show cars intereor in 2 pac, all by the book, and it came out good with no runs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:20 pm 

lol i don't think any1 would be silly enough to spray 2pack in direct sunlight,unless they want an insect flake effect in their paint (hmmmmm interesting concept, Jurassic park cars) there is something about the ketones in the 2pack that draws them from miles away.

IF IT'S FOOKED FIX IT, IF IT AIN'T MAKE IT FASTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:33 pm 
Old Digger

Nope no way should you spary outside. I usally spray in a spotless shed on a hot day with a bunch of massive flood lights or in a booth. The flood lights are left on overnight to help it cure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:36 pm 

thanks for the tips guys.. yeh its a bit nerve racking painting panels not knowing how it will turn out. Im far from experianced in painting cars. But you will only learn one way i suppose!

MYDATO- No reducer hey? hmm im not sure if i wanna try that or not.. but it does make sence i suppose. might mix a little bit up and spray the fuel flap or something. so you just mix the rest up the same?

LUVA64- cheers for the coments mate! i have been holding the gun too close to the panel, its a habit i have to try and flick.. i have also been trying to get full coverage on the first coat.. another no no. im planning on painting the rest of the shell this weekend (weather permitting) so ill have to try and take my tme. i would rather block out orange peel then runs lol

wardy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:54 pm 
Old Digger

Yep mix as normal. Get a big coffee tin of hot water and put the mixing cup in it. Wait until the paint is approx 30-40 degrees in temp. While you are waiting double check everything and tack cloth the panels. Pour paint into pot and get stuck into it. Fine coat the first time around wait for flash off second heavier coat wait for flash off then final coat. You need to have warmish pannels for the paint to flaten out nicley. I also like to use a 1.2mm needle in my guns. When you're all done get a whole bunch of flood lights and let them do their job. You will find the best way is to move the lights around every so often. Make sure you rid as much dust and dirt as possible before you spray and wet the floor down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:39 pm 

ah very good, i might give it a go on the weekend, cant hurt. Doesnt matter if the paint life is shortened as i have around 7 litres to work with. My tip size is 1.4mm but shouldnt make any difference. I must borrow some more floodlights off friends tho haha.. thanks heaps mate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:40 am 

hey MYDATO that is some very seriously good advise about wetting down the floor, it is amazing (even for those in the know) how many peeps try and get everything scrupulously clean but forget to wet down the floor, most every1 forgets about the dried paint dust that settles on the floor only to be shuffled back into the air by foot movements to settle on your nice shiny surface, WTG bud

IF IT'S FOOKED FIX IT, IF IT AIN'T MAKE IT FASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 pm 

Yep great advice there mate!.. i havnt thought of that and ill definately be doing it for any future painting!

well the sedan has come to a halt this week! been way too busy at work haha long weekend this coming weekend! waiting on the panel beater to fix up a small piece on the back im not happy with.. might paint the doorjams and inside the doors.. also edge out the boot and bonnet and bolt them all on.

Will also be mounting the clutch master and running the fuel lines.. more pics to come

wardy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:39 pm 

bit of an update.. clutch master is all mounted up on the steering colum, with the lines ran. The inside of the doors got painted today (using a few of the tips from you guys.. cheers!) and they turned out great! really happy with them. My plenum and throttle turned up and they are all dummy fitted. hopefuly going to take advantage of the current exchange rate and buy some gear from the states! My PC is currently out of action so i cant upload pics but i will post some when i can

wardy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:58 pm 

few updated pics!

Clutch master all mounted up and stuff, still gotta find a resevoir to suit, but that will be coming in the next few weeks.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Also dummy fitted my new plenum sorting out cooler pipes, and where everything is goin to sit! also got my exhaust manifold in the mail today, real happy with it.. just gotta cut the massive T4 flange off and weld the T3 job on.

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:36 pm 

ok so i sold my damn bike thank god..

all the engine internals and fuel system is on its way from america, turbo is on its way, as is the wastegate. Ordered 2x Magnaflow stainless mufflers.. ive also decided to get it painted by someone else,

i have way to little time to do the body work myself, so ill have the complete painted car back in 2 weeks.. my new welder is here too so ill be building teh exhaust and cooler piping, catch cans screamer etc in the coming weeks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:38 pm 

the fun maker turned up today, real happy with it, got it fairly cheap and its in great condition! ill be dummy fitting it tomorrow so ill post another pic up then

[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:30 pm 

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:15 pm 
Old Digger

Sweet! Nice bird catcher :lol: