Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:17 pm 

i finally got my 120y coupe and started stripping her down for a respray
i will take pics tomorrow
valve cover took me two hours to remove as the bolts were stuck and they are phillips head
best thing is that it has no rust but a few dints
interior has holes cut in it for speakers which i am unhappy about and this feral smell of an antique shop

i have some questions,
it's an automatic box and i want to convert it to manual
i have the manual gearbox and links, shaft, cables, shifter, etc...
i was wondering if i pull out the auto box will the manual bolt up to the a12 motor?
do i need to cut a hole in the firewall for clutch, etc...

Last edited by davidbil on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: got my 120y coupe :D
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:43 pm 

you will need a to remove the auto flex plate and fit a flywheel for it ,aswell as a manual pedal box and clutch cable and braket no cutting required

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:08 am 

i got the flywheel
i don't know about the pedal box, but i do have a clutch pedal
i think i also need a clutch master cyl
and i think i have the bracket

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:37 am 

i think you'll need a manual pedal box and a clutch cable, they aren't hydraulically actuated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:45 am 

auto and manual pedal boxes are different you cant just fit a clutch pedal also you have to make sure you get the right one for your car as some have a brake booster and some dont the mounting is on the pedal box, the crossmenber and tailshaft are also different and dont forget to get a spigot bush too.
here is a pic of a auto and manual pedal box
[ img ]

and a pic of the different manual pedal boxes
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:41 pm 

wall of pics

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Last edited by davidbil on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 pm 

wall of pics #2

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Last edited by davidbil on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:51 pm 

ok so i have

manual transmission,
tailshaft,
flywheel,
clutch,
clutch pedal,

im missing,

manual crossmember,
pedal box,
spigot bushing,
clutch master cyl?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:52 pm 

davidbil wrote:
ok so I have

manual transmission,
tailshaft,
flywheel,
clutch,
clutch pedal,

im missing,

manual crossmember,
pedal box,
spigot bushing,
clutch master cyl?
the manual crossmember does not bolt straight up you will need to make some brackets to make it fit or modify it as the mounting points on the floor of the car are different.
they do not have a clutch master as they have a clucth cable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:10 pm 

David, 120Y's have a mechanical clutch using a cable. It goes through the firewall where that triangular plate is. You have to get a fitting specifically from a 120Y to suit. The cable goes over the hook at the top of the clutch pedal. At the gearbox end it goes through the large hole in the bellhousing & over the top of the hook on the clutch fork. Please get the vaccum booster reconditioned before using it, any reputable brake supplier should be able to do it, & either reco or replace the brake master cylinder. Also check you don't already have a spigot bushing in the crank, I've done 2 auto A15's & they've both had one. I've used the lower clutch cover from the auto, instead of getting that 5 mm thick plate the manuals have. It just moves the throwout bearing closer to the pressure plate & can be allowed for with clutch adjustment. Good luck with the swap over, allow yourself a bit of time to get it all done, say start early Saturday if you have to drive it to work on Monday.
Also David, what's you're location. I know of a wrecking yard with 2 120Y coupes in it here in Sydney, so knowing where you are helps. Some member just around the corner from you might be able to help if you get stuck. I know of a member on Datsun1200.com who had a bit of trouble swapping his 120Y from Auto to Manual, but I can't remember exactly what it was that was the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:21 pm 

all my manunal parts are from another manual 120y. i got the engine, transmission, flywheel, clutch, clutch cable, clutch pedal (not sure about the pedal box) and tailshaft and i think theres a spigot in there aswell
since i bought the car + parts from another guy i didnt source the parts myself, although he said everything should be there
i have all the time in the world as its unregistered and sitting in the back so im just slowly stripping it down and sanding it for a pepper grey respray

btw does anyone know how to remove the old car antique shop smell from the interior im thinking of going over the whole interior with wax remover
or i think it could be the heater core causing the wierd smell or dash vinyl.

the vacuum booster will be getting serviced im not throwing that terribly rusted thing into my car until after (or i might get a pro to do it as brakes are most important)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:33 pm 

A couple more things. You mention in your first post you're unhappy about cutting the interior to fit speakers. I have the same problem with a 76 120Y sedan I have in that the owner doesnt want to cut the door trims, doesn't like speakers in the kick panels & I don't want to fit them in the rear parcel shelf. So, I found some plastic pieces at Supercheap that are supposed to be for fitting deep speakers to doors, & I'm going to put some good speakers in them under the front seats. I'll just run the speaker wires up the transmission tunnel to the AM/FM radio I got from an N12 Pulsar, or a Stanza or a Bluebird a few years ago. It even has a little Datsun logo on it. Secondly, to swap the pedal boxes over, I'd remove the whole steering column. This is held in by 2 8 mm bolts at the top, which you get to by removing the column shroud, 2 10 mm bolts at the steering box end, & a few 6 mm bolts that hold the seal to the firewall. There's also all the wiring for the ignition & the lights & indicators that have to be unplugged. It's much easier to get to all the bolts for the pedal box then. You'd be surprised how much easier it is, & there's only 2 positions you can put the steering wheel back to, so it doesn't bugger up the centring of the wheel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:42 pm 

no it's not that i dont want the interior to have speakers but the previous owner cut them in the wrong spot and they just look nasty

i will drop the steering column and pop the pedal box in.
but thats for later.

i still have to concentrate on removing the dashboard and getting rid of the nasty smell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:50 pm 

David, I've got some good news/bad news about the transmission you have. It's a later modal A14 gearbox as far as I can see. They're stronger than the 120Y box, & came in some Sunny's with A14's & A15's. They're the same length as the smaller boxes & have the same output shaft spline, the problem is that the gearbox mounting points are further back than the stock box,so a 120Y manual crossmember wont fit. The best bet is to make a crossmember to suit. If you go to Datsun1200.com & look in the Photo Album under Gearbox I think there are some photo's of crossmembers & there's a Wiki that should help. I have used a crossmember from a Sunny to fit one of these gearboxes into a 120Y, but where are you going to find one of those. I mounted it using the back holes in the transmission tunnel. You could try using the 120Y auto crossmember, but it's got all sorts of bit's you'd have to cut off before it'd work. As you say, you've got time, so it's not that much of a worry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:46 pm 

i managed to get the interior out as well as some small dents in the panels

i tried to take off my cylinder head today and i got all the bolts off except for two
one which is the front left and the second near the pcv valve

i think i need to buy a breaker bar to remove them

i fitted the clutch pedal that i have and it mounts up to the hole in my pedal box but as i see in the pics of the manual pedal boxes there is no springfor the pedal in my box