Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:36 pm 

This is my Sunny Wagon i've been working on it since Feburary

Before
[ img ]

After
[ img ]

Its still in the build stage and has no interior and I have only just got the engine and box in. A 81 Sunny Sedan, 79 Stanza Sedan and 83 Series 2 Bluebird Wagon have been donor cars.

Mods so far are as follows

L20B Engine from Series 2 Bluebird.
Hurricane Extractors
40 Side Draft Webber with Lynx Manifold
Fully Rebuilt SSS Stanza 5 Speed
Stanza Struts with rebuilt Girlock Calipers and lowered 2 inches.
Stanza Borg Warner Diff and with new slave cylinders also lowered 2 inches with shocks to suit.
Bright Yellow paint job.
Custom Gearbox Crossmember
Custom Engine Mounts
Stanza Radiator with "Push" Thermofan
13x6 Jelly Bean Mags with 175 tyers on the front and 205's on the back
Stanza front bucket seats retrimed in black vinal with ford XR pattern yellow cloth
original rear seats also retrimmed.
New black cut pile carpet.
black velor roof lining and pillars
black vinal boot lining
Stanza front and rear bumper

Many other mods are planned and i'll list them when that are definatly going to happen

If there is anything anyone wants to know how I did it im more then happy to share and welcome anyones ideas

Last edited by Snarfty on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:55 pm 

killer pic :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:18 pm 
Good to see a Sunny Wagon getting some serious love.

More pics

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:00 pm 

These are the front seats
[ img ]

Custom Engine mounts they are only tacked onto the Crossmember at this stage
[ img ]
[ img ]

Engine
[ img ]

Gearbox Crossmember
[ img ]

The Rear Lowered 2 Inches
[ img ]

Last edited by Snarfty on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm 

That gearbox looks awfully familiar :P

haha.

Looking good dude, how'd you go rebuilding the box ?

Keep the updates coming 8)

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:46 pm 

Stanza cross member and all front end would have bolted straight in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:07 pm 

Rebuilding the box was an interesting experiance. I got hold of a Stanza Gregorys Workshop Manual so we could workout how it was supposed to put it back together. I got all new Ball Bearings, Tapered Roller Bearings and Seals for it I didn't worry about the syncros or Needle Roller Bearings as there was no signs of wear on any of them... Except one the pilot bearing at the very front of the main shaft. For some reason Nissan decided to hard crome the shaft for the inner race of this Bearing. And it had worn through. So I set it up in a lathe at work got it running spot on and turned this part of the shaft down so I could press on a hardened inner race that came with the new Bearing.

I also had to get another throw out bearing slide plate as the slide was broken off of the original.

Yeah I know the Stanza Crossmember etc would have bolted straight in but I would have still had to remove the original mounts and make lower ones as the engine would have hit the bonnet. Admitally I never had a proper check to see if the steering box from the stanza would be a straight bolt it. As it sits now i cant fit my fingers between the Crossmember and sump and only just between the top of the engine and bonnet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:49 am 

So for an update after viewing some of the other L-series Sunnys on here I realised that I should be able to use my Stanza Radiator but was unable to make it fit, and after spending way to much time trying to find a radiator that would fit and still look neat and not require some sort of modification. I decided that my best option was to try and move the engine and box further back in the car to give it more room at the front. This I knew would solve my radiator problems and fingers crossed get the Stanza tailshaft to reach the box.

So I made another gearbox crossmember to allow for the shift and knocked the engine mounts off. I then changed the Bluebird sump that was on the engine for the Stanza Sump that was on my spare engine. Slid it all back in the car to its new position. The vertical fit is now even tighter but the radiator fits. But unfortunately the tail shaft still doesn't quite reach. SIGH.... If only it was legal to use a spacer, instead i'll have to get it lengthened.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:27 pm 

Nice. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:36 pm 

Just thought I would put it out there L20B's are NOT a "simple" conversion. I got jack of my clearance issues and just modified the crossmember by cutting the top of center section out and welding a piece of 20mm steel plate cut to the right shape to sit into the hollow cavity. I bolted the crossmember to a 12mm thick plate as to minimise any warping from the heat of the welding it did still warp a little and I had to open up the mounting holes a bit to get the chassis bolts back in. So now I have heaps of room for the engine and gearbox.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:56 am 

Your workplace looks nearly as tidy as ours hahaha

1978 120Y sdn
1973 B120 - dead
1971 VB110 4dr - sold
Others:
1995 Proton Wira - daily sh#tbox

[ img ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:04 am 

If the xmember is warped won't that throw out yr wheel alignment because the lower control arms mount onto it? Just a though. Everything is looking good though, i like the paint job. Should go pretty good with an L20B.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:50 am 

The the wheel alignment issue.. Yes, its not shown in the photos but as I welded this I actually had it bolted to 10mm steel plate via the chassis holes to control any warping as I welded it. Although when I got it to the car afterwards I did have to widen the holes to get it back on.

Last edited by Snarfty on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:55 am 

Top stuff there,
Good to see the 'get into it and figure it out' aussie ingenuity working

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:41 pm 

So I took the wagon for its maiden voyage on Sunday just gone. Everything seems to work ok, a few small oil leaks from around the motor to address. The major problem is a noise when the clutch is depressed it doesn't happen all the time im hoping its just the throwout bearing and nothing wrong with the gearbox. I'm not to keen on pulling that thing apart again. But in the mean time I'll be working on getting the interior in.