Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Millsy's 120y Wagon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 pm 

E15 dizzy's from the N10 pulsar are supposed to be easy to convert, but from what I've read it's pretty complicated, drilling holes in dizzy shaft and whatnot, has to be pretty much spot on or you'll have to have the dizzy rotated on a queer angle to get it timed right, I don't think its worth the risk.

My a15 has had a Crane Cams XR700 kit put thru it, no drilling or anything required, pretty much only need a screwdriver to pull the points out of your original dizzy and install the kit. 30min job and no need to buy extra parts. Kits are around $220

I bought a chinese made electronic dizzy for my 120Y for $160, the dizzy gear and shaft were drilled wrong, and the shaft has a fair abount of slop in it, DONT BUY CHINESE.

You could also search for a Nissan Vannette van for really cheap in local trader or on ebay, I think most of them came with electronic dizzys which will bolt straight onto any late a-series engine. Dont forget to get the coil as well.

1978 120Y sdn
1973 B120 - dead
1971 VB110 4dr - sold
Others:
1995 Proton Wira - daily sh#tbox

[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:44 pm 

Yeah... totally forgot to update this. Long nights and trying to keep up with uni (so much work :x ) meant I totally forgot to update this thread.
However all went very well, got updates and stuff coming soon :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:09 am 

Yeah that uni work is still hammering me...
In other news I found some work and saved up enough to drop off the wags today to be resprayed in its original colour, very excited to see how it turns out!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:28 pm 

She's prepped and ready to be painted, just need the weather to clear up long enough for that to happen :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 am 

Just a quick update that it's painted, hasn't been buffed or anything yet but yeah it's shiny as. Also holy balls it's orange. Like crazy 70's orange. Pretty bloody bright haha.
Ended up cheaper than expected so new front suspension, exhaust and finally getting a speedo cable that fits are on the cards.

Thinking I'll get either SSR Mark II's or SSR longchamps atm, I like the idea of longchamps more, will photoshop up some images when I get the time, finishing up my honours degree next week so I'll finally be free! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 pm 

So here are those pics post paint, car is slightly less vivid in real life, the iPhone ruined the colour balance a bit. Bear in mind it hasn't been buffed or washed in these pics, was right when I got it back :) Was just a quick, cheap cheap job so that the paint stopped falling off and the car didn't rust out. I had to lose the vinyl roof as I couldn't afford to have another one put on, but I'm kinda liking it without it too.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Picked up some new springs for the front, 30mm lower ones so the car sits right now. Oh and new aerial because I had to blu tack mine so it didn't leak water lol

[ img ]

As I'm now working full time hoping to update on the car more often :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:35 pm 

thats smicko.. i hope mine comes up as good as yours.. love the paint job too it looks perfect.. except your ariel... :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:49 pm 

Shouldn't be too hard, mine was a cheapie job :)

Got a new aerial to install when I have some time too :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:00 pm 

sweet, im gonna paint mine myself in the shed, may have to put a bit of a twist into the original colour just for something a bit differnt, did u see the guy over on the classifieds has a gold sunny badge to suit your grille.. it would top that sh*t off.... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:41 pm 

benb1984 wrote:
sweet, im gonna paint mine myself in the shed, may have to put a bit of a twist into the original colour just for something a bit differnt, did u see the guy over on the classifieds has a gold sunny badge to suit your grille.. it would top that sh*t off.... ;)
I did! It was very cool, bit expensive though :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 pm 

Saw an orange 120Y Wagon on the way home from work Saturday about 11:30-ish at Bankstown going up to the Hume Hwy, except it was very faded except for the drivers door, which was surface rust. Didn't smoke & was zooming along easily with the traffic. Maybe a respray was next on the owners list of things to do.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:20 pm 

So this thing is driving me nuts in the one way it shouldn't be. Fuel consumption! I couldn't care less if I had the power to go with higher fuel consumption but I'm getting hammered for A12 performance!

Drove from Brisbane to Cooyar out west, used 10.6L/100km on the highway! I would have thought the little A12 would use less?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:22 pm 

Love it dude looks sweet,

Will keep an eye out for your updates as I just also bought one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:40 pm 

So just picked up a set of rims for it that'll need a polish up, and the urge for an A15 has risen again!

Also got a fair bit of cancer showing up in the doors too. Plenty of updates coming hopefully!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 am 

As a bit of a belated 2 year update, I have been living in Europe for a bit of a career break for a while now, moving back to Aus in the not too distant future.

Took her for a spin on a quick jaunt back to Aus earlier in the year, few things that occured between last update and now:

1 - Electric dizzy was sorted off fleabay, works pretty good for the price!
2 - Wheels were cleaned up and installed, look great and the speedo is accurate again! Thanks to dat2kman there, will upload pics when I return
3 - Brake booster lost the vac seal, bypassed it but it's currently running on foot pressure which isn't the best, need to fix that
4 - Cancer in doors is worse, but a mig welder is in my future :) Need to work out if replacing doors is better though
5 - Paint job never really was 100%, needs to be redone, that's a +3 year job after rust repairs I imagine
6 - Overheated something chronic on a drive in traffic, I think that the radiator filled up with crap and needs to be cleaned
7 - Engine block is starting to show surface rust, not oily enough! :lol:
8 - A15's are surprisingly hard to find
9 - Carby is too much for the engine, really needs a tune
10 - Been missing driving her!

Updates will trickle in as time permits!