Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: MangaNOID 1600
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:16 am 

Like.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 am 

Do mine next? :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:22 am 

Very neat!

And yep, that modification is the worst job known to man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

thanks guys

yea the work was awfull but I really think its worth it as the difference in handling characteristics is very noticeable going from the +25 6" to zero offset 7" front and back. of course the tyres help and these bridgestone 002's seem to be great so far. haven't done nearly enough driving on everything yet though.

I haven't yet had it back on the track pushing hard. will be interesting when I try it out there sometime.

next up though is a fuel filler upgrade and a tank inspection as the old rubber stuff is cracked and i'm getting smells when I open the boot. it might also be evaporating away rather quick if the fuel gauge is correct. almost 1/4 of a tank in 4 weeks from sitting there :shock:

there's always something to keep one amused...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:50 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

well I hadn't lost 1/4 of a tank from evaporation. the gauge just plays silly buggers with me. its brand new gauge though so I must have some electrical supply fault as the needle will sometimes swing a 1/4 of a tank one way or the other for a minute or two then settle back to were it should be. I hate electrical problems but cant think of it to be anything else.

anyway i got a unleaded filler cap but just need to find the time to fit it up.

I've been out a bit more in the car recently and once again I just have to say how good 0 offset 7" wheels are. it just loves corners and stays very flat the more you wind power in to it on a long tight turn.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:45 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

interior had been sub standard for my liking for a while, so finally bought some carpet. then, as I don't do much spirited driving at the track anymore I thought of more period seats while they were out of the car. I really wanted to get rid of the 90's coloured fleck r33 seats. anyway I noticed a hilux dual cab at work with good stylin vinyl seats, so I hunted gumtree and found some that had covers on them all their life are were in almost new condition!

way...way cheaper than the BMW sports leather seats that I really wanted but could not justify hundreds of dollars on.

any way a good soap clean and a spray of vinyl paint and I think they look great. not too keen on the head rests but they will do. also saved 6kg by installing them and ditching the r33's!

door trims from tokyo2u to replace self made plain boring ones look sweet.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5983.jpg [ 61.91 KiB | Viewed 9990 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_5972.JPG [ 124.33 KiB | Viewed 9990 times ]
pretty happy with the cars visuals now. maybe some small power upgrades in the distant future like cams and extractors but just probably enjoy and drive :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:24 pm 

Seats are a pretty good match! What diameter are your tacho and speedo?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:27 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

there the 100mm ones. great gauges!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:26 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I think this is more of a vent than a post 8)

Well I've had to drive this thing for the last couple weeks as my daily died :(

So this clunking in the driveline has become more of an issue for me and I have been starting to suss it out...again. It's been going for years now but as I don't drive it much then I don't really sit down to nut it out too often.

So I have stuffed around with the clutch thinking it was that for a long time thinking it wasn't dis engaging properly etc and tried different slave, mast cylinders and pedal travel adjustment to no avail. Even though I thought at one stage I had cracked it...but I hadn't.

So thinking logically I have now ruled out the clutch. Re built gear box before this all happened kind of ruled that out...for now. Uni joints? All in excellent condition with no play.

Diff? Well I thought it had too much free play but I have been spending my precious weekend grovelling under the car changing duffs with a spare I have lying around (LSD r160) so LSD for the first time in a long time.

But! Got the old diff out and it doesn't have that much play in it it seems.

There is slight play in the rear left axle to flange which could contribute and also slight play in driveshaft to gearbox! So maybe all this adds up to the clunking? Wo knows. I'm so over it but got to keep going I guess.

So I also noticed that ( I think the last time I changed the diff was just before all this clunking drama) the diffmoustache bar extra plate thingy was bolted on the wrong side I.e the diff side. I think it should be on the outside so the moustache bar has tension on the diff? I'm a fool.

Well maybe that also contributes to my problems?

Maybe it will be back together tomorow and test the new diff which was supposedly rebuilt when I purchased it. It does feel very tight and no free play.

I just have to swap a flange end onto my half shafts as the r180 shafts have a spline input on the diff side. Another annoyance was that I bought 240z shafts for this diff swap thinking they were the same as 1600 ones but they are to short for the r160 in a 1600 And won't bolt in, hence the changing of a bolt flange onto the longer shafts. It's wierd but they are about 15-20mm or so longer at full stretch.
Also finding it difficult to extract the uni joints.

So a great weekend so far... :(

Sorry no photos in this post how boring!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:06 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I dont think where the spacer goes makes much of a difference.
The clunking might be the actual bushes in the diff support bar. If they are the original ones they can slip when you drop the clutch causing the bar to contact the large flat retaining washers.
Nolathane bushes will fix this prob and are a must have for anything with more power than stock...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:34 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Yes the diff bushes are on the list now after looking at them, thanks for pointing them out. Unfortunately no one that's open in WA on the weekend stocks them and I need to have my car on the road so doubling up on a bit of work in the future when i have another daily. But at least I wont have to finish a job on one weekend.

The diff swap just finished. What a job with having to swap the half shaft flanges over! Also put the moustache bar in properly with the spacer outside of the diffso it creates Tension on the diff (?)

First impression is that it drives and changes gear A bit better. Although it wasn't a long drive at all. So we shall see.

Other things on the list are find another rear axle and flange or get one machined up. Not sure who would be competent of that work. Any suggestions? I found Australian Race Technology on the web that make CV joints for these. So maybe I'll contact them.

Hopefully on the right direction now.

Dam, no photos again?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:53 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

so I painted my wheels a few months ago and got to really like the way they look.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
PICT5099.jpg [ 752.21 KiB | Viewed 9624 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
PICT5097.jpg [ 714.13 KiB | Viewed 9624 times ]
but after touching up bits of them this morning and cleaning them I noticed the worst thing ever!
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
PICT5094.jpg [ 929.45 KiB | Viewed 9624 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
PICT5092.jpg [ 730.87 KiB | Viewed 9624 times ]
this has happened since I have owned them I'm pretty sure. I have cleaned them and bead blasted them myself a couple of times and would have noticed this I think. there is 3 spokes with cracks over two of the wheels.

thankfully I just got a new daily so the datsun is off the road :(

I have some Volk racing mesh wheels which fit into the rims of these wheels (i.e. just swapping over the center bits) that can keep me on the road, or track day i was looking forward too, but I don't really like mesh wheels.

not many other choices in 15x7+0.

big big sigh...

different wheels is like a totally different haircut. it just changes the look of the car so much. I'm very disapointed and doubt I could find similar centers to these. I never seen another set but will now be keeping my eye out on yahoo Japan (where I got these)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 pm 

i have got a few rear axles and flanges if required. Have a set of nice lightweight 15x7 +0 wheels you might be interested in also.
Give me a msg or call on oh 4 17nine49880.
Bit hard to find stuff in WA but i have got a fair bit and have a few friends with lots of other 1600 gear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Meh. Cut the crack out & weld it with the Tig. Then linish smooth.

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:23 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thanks Lampy I would like to grab an axle if you have one spare.

Keen to check out the wheels too as I've wasted some hours trying to find some I'd want in that size.

I'll give you a call.

:thumbsup:

Lurch did you check out my monkey welding on page 2? Haha! No way I'll weld them.