Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Jordans 200b Project.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:44 pm 

So i thought i should probably introduce my 200b, as very soon i will be asking many many silly questions.
Got this 200b about 6 months ago from a guy who owned a car yard. He got it of the original owner, and bought the car for his kids to learn to drive in. However his spoilt kids said "im not learning to drive in that piece of sh*t". haha silly kids. Good thing was he put brand new tyres on it before he sold it to me. Got it for $500.

The car is granny spec gl edition. The engine ran fine when i did drive it, but the headgasket does need changing as it has a oil leak. The car has done 280,000k's, but was serviced just before i bought it. Its relatively rust free, only the spare tyre well and the right hand rear 1/4 have significant rust.

So far all i have done is completely stripped the car, ready for my attempt at some body work. A BIG THANKYOU to thedevilshands, who gave me a massive hand to get the engine out.

Plans are for a daily, and a relatively cheap one as well. by that i mean im only 19, and plan on going to uni next year. So i dont want to put an sr or anything like that in for the petrol costs, but mostly for the huge jump in insurance costs. Also bought it so that i could learn about cars. As Present, dont really know that much haha.

I Plan on reconditioning the engine myself, more for my own education than anything. Other than that the only other engine upgrades i plan is a pair of 40mm dellorto carbs that i picked up on ebay, and extractors and a new exhaust. Oh and a 5 speed manual gearbox.

Aesthetically i plan on painting the thing orange, and if i can get a hold of a cheap set of rims, throw them on aswell. Also throwing in a set of king springs.
Interior i plan on attempting to reupholster the seats, black with orange instets. New Carpet, headliner, and a speaker setup. And installing a gx tacho instead of the clock in the gl.

So yea :D big plans, we will see what happens.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_0460.JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 3343 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_0466.JPG [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 3343 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
IMG_0442.JPG [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 3343 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:51 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Nice car Jordan. Looks like a fairly tidy shell. Should be a bit of fun with the Dellortos. I can definately recommend a 5-speed as they make a huge difference. And the tacho dash is from either a 200B SX or a manual Aspen GL ;) what colour is the interior at the moment?

Wheels pretty much make a car I find, along with the ride height. So when you can try and do something about those. The rest of your plans do sound good though. How do you plan on mounting your stereo? Try not to go chopping the car up too much, I'm currently in the process of repair a previous owner's attempts at installing speakers in one of my cars.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:32 pm 

What a score for 500 :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:51 pm 

Yea I'm really hoping to find either some sx wheels or some jellybeans for the right price.
ATM the interior is "black". And by that I mean the seats are that horrible purple color. The door trims are in mint condition apart from one small tear in the front left. The dash is cracked though, but I mean that's to be expected.

I am hoping to put in a single din 7" slide out cd tuner thingo where the original radio is. And putting the front speakers in the door panels.

I know you guys are cringing at me wanting to cut up the dash and door panels, so I would be more than open to trading my mint ones for good ones with the holes already cut. No sense in it going to waste.

And yea, the guy had it advertised for 750, and when I turned up he said " I don't expect 750 for it. Truthfully if you offered 500 I would give it to you. Haha ledgend, I would have given him 750.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:22 am 

looks pretty nice to me.
i have a buddy with twin dellortos on a 200b said it really gives it a kick. cant agree more about a manual convertion my 200b is still waiting on one. dont cut up your dash and door cards i put my headunit below the glove box i like it there. but if you must at least buy a cut dash.

78 ZH Fairlane 500 Bluesmobile
86 ZL Fairlane ZLane
78 ZH Fairlane 500 Barn find
85 Troopy 2H Turbo

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:23 am 

Any updates? Did the 5 speed help fuel economy
Twin delotos sound like a good way to waste fuel.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:07 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Horses for courses though, very few would actually daily their datto and car about fuel economy.
If I was after an economic daily I certainly wouldn’t have a Datsun anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:05 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thread revival! I wonder what happened with this?

Back in the day when I had a standard L20B and 5-speed in my 200B I managed to achieve 8L/100km on a freeway trip. Admittedly I had to sit at 90km/h to stop it from overheating, but still. Otherwise around town It used 10ish/100km, and roughly the same once I had a Weber 32/36 and extractors with exhaust. I got my standard automatic 200B wagon to do around 9L/100km on a trip to Sydney once, it also used in the region of 10L/100km around town. I imagine that fitting twin carbies to wither car would have dramatically increased those figures though.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be good economy. With new cars using 5L/100km you can't compare them to an old car, but if you're prepared to appreciate it for what it is and take into account that it is old and more fun, then I think a fairly standard Datsun is cheap motoring.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:12 pm 

green200b wrote: *
Thread revival! I wonder what happened with this?

Back in the day when I had a standard L20B and 5-speed in my 200B I managed to achieve 8L/100km on a freeway trip. Admittedly I had to sit at 90km/h to stop it from overheating, but still. Otherwise around town It used 10ish/100km, and roughly the same once I had a Weber 32/36 and extractors with exhaust. I got my standard automatic 200B wagon to do around 9L/100km on a trip to Sydney once, it also used in the region of 10L/100km around town. I imagine that fitting twin carbies to wither car would have dramatically increased those figures though.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be good economy. With new cars using 5L/100km you can't compare them to an old car, but if you're prepared to appreciate it for what it is and take into account that it is old and more fun, then I think a fairly standard Datsun is cheap motoring.
That’s very very interesting and informative. These numbers are better than my current daily driver and I drive it carefully.