Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:19 pm 

UPDATE:

Some quality time getting spent on the engine bay!!! Welding up holes, heating and bashing smooth!!! There is many holes in there, but no short cuts. All getting fixed properly. Tonight the large hole was plated where a intercooler pipe at some stage went though!! Battery tray area, beaten out to shape of wheel arch.. good to see this engine bay finidhed. Lots of grinding to do!!

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

New lefthand rear quarter getting ready to go on. This will be awesome!!! Also have a rear cut off a smashed 1600 which the rear panel will be cut out of and replace the one on the shell. The less bog the better is my motto right now, and the boot will line up a treat after this. The boot seal area looks great on the cut too!!

[ img ]

The oil filter is hard to get to on the motor, so car did have remote oil filter. When cleaning up the engine bay it had to go!!! Greddy was the answer, sits higher and allows better access!! They look cool too!! I am trying to get the motivation to sand it back and polish it!!!

[ img ]

Job for tomorrow is a PWR radiator. Currently has N14 pulsar radiator but it just ain't the look I am going for. PWR is!!!

Also, anyone got any ideas on a wiper washer bottle/motor that is nice and slimline that will hide up under the guard nicely? Looks like one of the those 2"X13" polished stainless radiator overflows is on the cards too!!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:27 am 

i recommend powder coating the manifold as opposed to polishing it, unless you polish the rocker cover and keep everything else smick, it doesn't look right, i reckon painted is a cleaner look (the same colour as whatever colour you do the rocker cover)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:46 pm 

the vents are for neautralising cabin pressure when your windows are down or when you are using the external air setting on your vents. It stops your rear window from popping out :P

You'll need to find another way to vent the cabin.

Not a fan of this mod personally, I think removing features like this and badges etc removes the character from an old car.

Loving the engine bay work!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:42 pm 

Yeah.. I was not 100% sure if I wanted to remove the vents either.. but some long hard thinking and it was decided. Oh and I gave a half hearted yeah to my mate, and next time I see it one is already cut out and plate put in :shock:!! Can always double sided tape them back on :mrgreen: !

The car will have no door locks, fuel flap lock, or boot lock. There will be no badging on the rear, and had decided to take the badging off the front guards.... but I changed my mind on the front guard badging! I like those badges so they stay. The boot and fuel cap will be done by solenoid.. modifying the units from a EL/EF Falcon. There will be a small toggle switch hidden up front for releasing these!

I just want a real clean look on the car. Just from the outside very neat, nothing flashy... but when it gets down to it, a little rocket... just to surprise those Holden and Fords V8's!! :mrgreen:

The engine bay is coming along good. Once the radiator turns up, will fit it and remount the intercooler. The intercooler is hard mounted and I would like to change this. It is attached to the headlight area on the radiator support.. and really there isnt enough support!

I won the SSS dash off eBay the other night.. no one else bidded so got it for a bargain. I know have two, so will keep the best one as the original.. but the other.... with least amount of modifying... it is getting the autometer treatment!!

CHeers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:59 pm 

Update....

Dash cradle powder coated...
[ img ]

More powder coating
[ img ]
Also steering column and peddle box done...

Remounting the intercooler, and mounting the new radiator
[ img ]
[ img ]

The Tech Toy Tuning Control Arms and Casters are here!!
[ img ]

Moving forward slowly, but at least they are moving. Gauges will be ordered tonight for the dash too. Really got to get stuck into the body now!!

CHeers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:32 pm 

*so jealous*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:19 pm 

left quarter cut off.... lots of spot welds to drill out...

[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:18 am 

UPdate...

New throttle cable mounted, bonnet pull mounted and hidden, cant see it in the engine bay... All holes welded in engine bay and boot, rear tail light section cut off!! More bloody spot welds to drill out!

Will get photo tomorrow!

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 am 

going good mate well done make sure you ring me when your up at the nats..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 am 

Mate

By the way it is progressing, I dont think the car will make the nats........ There is such a shitload of work to do, still waiting on a panel that is 4 weeks away!!! But full speed ahead for having it ready for datnats at Easter! This is my main goal right now!

Things just get out of hand, we are now straightening the undercarriage as well! The shell has minimal rust, but some panel work is needed big time, like removal of the left quarter and rear!!!

Engine bay looks sweet too!!

On Fiveten, how did you run the ECU cable? I'm going to hide it as well now instead of having a chunky bundle of wires go across the back of the firewall! At the very least I'll move the insertion point to right next to the motor so you dont see as much cable!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:16 pm 

nice car man. not much of a 1600 person but DAMN!! can not wait to see this thing on the road and finished! i cant believe your going to all the effort when it looked so nice in the first place!!! keep going and enjoy the hard work!
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:29 pm 

Update...

Autometer gauges turned up... just sat them in the dash, still have to removed the clear windows from the fuel, oil, temp and then can have a serious go at mounting. It looks like that there is going to be bare minimal work that is going to be need to be done to the SSS dash! No cutting at all!!! The plastic windows can be removed without wrecking too!!

They dont look to bad in there, full black interior, all white exterior!!!

[ img ]

Also got a stainless exhaust manifold... I know I know cracking cracking.. we'll see how it goes! Going to mount exhaust to hold much of its own weight, and also use a 6" stainless flexible bellow. That should remove a fair part of the weight issue on the manifold and twisting. I dont plan to be running the bottom mount forever, next year forge engine build is on the cards... top mount! This thing only cost me $300. Brand is Megan, boasts 2.8mm tube thicknesses.. If it cracks it cracks.... or hopefully, when it cracks, its time for engine rebuild!

[ img ]

CHeers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:19 pm 

Looking good Trevor, hope that speedo sensor i sent was the right one, cheers mate, hope to see this thing going soon!! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:07 am 

update.....

when working on the firewall the amount of flex present at the brake booster/clutch was crazy.. solution... made up a plate and welded on the inside!!! The strength it has given it is huge, just think each time the clutch or brake is pushed in that poor old firewall flexing like crap!!!

[ img ]

Also, my exhaust parts arrived!!

magnaflow spun cat converter, magnaflow 3" muffler, magnaflow 3" resonator! Need to go to the local metal scrap yard and raid the bin with 3" stainless offcuts for mandrel bends.. making my own exhaust :shock:

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:43 am 

dash looks a million bucks mate, you're really hitting this thing hard! keep it up :)