Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:31 pm 

Bit of an update with the harmonic balancer. I have a Powerbond already here, but I rang them asking about a single belt balancer. They said they would just machine off the first two pulleys, but in doing so you lose the clip and void warranty.

I was a little reluctant about all this, but then I was told it is a pretty common thing they do. Done it for a few people now with space issues and there has been no problems with doing this. The balancer is rated much higher than the standard balancer, so likelyhood of any problems is very slim.

Now to machine the balancer! More $$$$ saved!

What do you guys think about using the wheel well as a fuel cell location?

CHeers

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:57 pm 

Regarding using the spare wheel well as a fuel cell location:
1. Lowers the COG. (GOOD)
2. If you get rear ended, the fuel system is closer to the rear of the car and therefore more susceptible to bursting/spilling fuel (BAD)
3. Increases moment of inertia (meaning the car will be slower to react in corners, less twitchy and possibly easier to control) (GOOD and BAD depending on what you want the car for)
4. Places more stress on the rear of the boot which can lead to cracks appearing in the C pillars (can be fixed by reinforcing the boot as I have done in my build) (BAD)
5. Can increase your weight distribution for the better (closer to the magic 50/50). (GOOD) My car is 52/48 with half a tank of fuel in the factory location
6. You have to relocate your fuel filler hoses, unless you fill straight into the boot (GOOD AND BAD!)
7. Something Different! (GOOD)

Hope some of that helps...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:35 pm 

I was thinking about #4 being the issue.

Is there a ready available fuel cell/tank that goes well into the existing tank postion? Obviously doesnt have to bolt onto the original location, but just fits in the area... and doesnt hold only 15 litres. Running a surge tank I dont really have to worry about having the tank baffled either right?

Next question, if I run a baffled or foam filled tank do I even need a surge tank? Car isnt going to see serious race track time, maybe a small play occasssionally, Powercruises, and a couple runs down the drag strip... ok.. answered my own questions... surge tank...

Fuel line sizes? 300rwkw SR20, E85 and 1000cc injectors..... In think I have discovered I know bgger all about fuel systems.... time to learn!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:02 pm 

I run a foam filled cell with a surge tank, fuel lines are -10 to the motor and -8 return

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:05 pm 

Hey Trev,
Any updates on this beast?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:40 pm 

No update just yet... having mates do work means very very slow... hopefully this week get some parts back and then full steam ahead. I decided on -6 fuel lines throughou the car, got to decide on what I am doing with the fuel tank!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 pm 

-6 to samll for feeding that much power -8 feed -6 return...-10 if you want to run e85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:36 pm 

Thanks Man.. good that I didnt buy the fuel line yet.

Made my fuel tank today... well out of cardboard to see if the design is ok and it will fit alright! Will hold about 45-46 litres and fit in nicely. I need to decide now about the surge tank, but looking at sitting it on top of the tank. Then mounting pumps..... I have been thinking though... with a baffled tank and maybe a sump at the bottom of the tank with the pickups, do I need a surge tank?

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

What are the issues with having the fuel pressure regulator in the boot with the tank and not close to the fuel rail? Would make things neater without it under the bonnet!

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 pm 

I've attached a couple of photo's that may help you with your build.

One of the photo's shows the craddle that the tank sits in. It's bolted at 4 points to the body and has 2 straps that bolt the tank into place.
You may want to consider a small baffled sump on the bottom of the tank aswell as larger baffles in the tank to stop the fuel washing around.
Don't forget to get the tank pressure tested for leaks?

You may have considered all the points alredy but I thought the photo's may help.

Good luck,

Rob

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Fuel tank bracket.JPG [ 82.11 KiB | Viewed 6702 times ]
[ attachment ]
Fuel tank.JPG [ 118.66 KiB | Viewed 6702 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:17 pm 

Bit of an update.. fuel system is sorted, and for a great price I think. Once I get it in will put some pictures up! I have decided to make the fuel system a pretty thing to look at in the boot! Was going to hide the lot.

Last, does anyone have a SR20 with all the sh*t still hanging of the side of it? Not inlet or exhaust manifolds or turbo etc.... just all that crap like carbon canister crap. All I have is a long motor and need this stuff!

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:46 pm 

[ img ]

How the fuel system is coming along. Got some motivation back and will have a good dip over the next few weeks!! Should look pretty good once all the pumps mounted and the braided hose in!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:32 pm 

Small word of advice if you haven't thought of it already, but you will need to reinforce the large aluminium plate that you are mounting the surge tank/ lift pump, and main pump, as they vibrate, and the car vibration will make it drum/ring.
It's only a small thing because you can reinforce underneath after you have mounted everything, and it wont affect how cool it looks at the moment.
Nice work by the way :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 am 

Should run it through a bead roller a few times, would look neat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:28 pm 

Any updates on this thing?