Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:21 pm 

well guys, the latest in the project is that the exhaust is done, 3inch down to 2.5 at the diff. The wheel alignment has been done and im running it around on a temporary rego trying to get some other things sorted.
I know its only running 7psi, but i cant really say that im gob smacked. I was really hoping for some white knuckles, but i was left a little disapointed.

What have been other people's first impressions of driving a stock SR 1600. Does an extra 5-6psi really open up the SR and make it come alive??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:45 am 

Nice project datones!! hope it turns out how you want it!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:01 pm 

Tony,

have you made sure she's running the right fuel air mixtures, the timing is correct, the fuel pump is pumping the right amount of pressure and all the basic stuff.

Apologies if you have already done something like that. I found the AFM on the skyline died, and it was running like a sack of poo.
So check all the sensors.

I think if you end up putting a bit more boost in, you'll be grinning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:56 pm 

I dunno bout 7 psi... but with 15 you'll defianetly know about it... Throws you way back into the seat... i'd never expeienced anything like it before, and i was only feathering the throttle, with my mate driving it hurts yr back...

Nice car by the way.... i wish i had yr income :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:53 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys. Like you suggested nick, I have a feeling it is running too rich atm. Im using a sard fuel reg on a relatively stock set up which may have increased the fuel rail pressure. I will have to check that tomorrow.
Are nissan afms prone to failing?? i might have to get hold of a wideband o2 and check the afr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:40 am 

I think you'd know if the AFM is stuffed. The car wont idle and will miss if you blip the throttle. It will also miss when you drive anywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if you needed a tune on the thing considering you have changed the intercooler, and a few other things from the factory 'crashed' car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:37 pm 

datones wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys. Like you suggested nick, I have a feeling it is running too rich atm. Im using a sard fuel reg on a relatively stock set up which may have increased the fuel rail pressure. I will have to check that tomorrow.
Are nissan afms prone to failing?? i might have to get hold of a wideband o2 and check the afr
Yes - AFM's will fail here and there. Good thing is it's simple to chuck in a working one off a mate to see if it makes a difference. But I agree that you should look for faults elsewhere from the sounds of it.

Personally I'd suggest using a stock FPR to see if there's any improvement in the over fueling.

And yes, boost level is directly proportional to the number of teeth showing in your smile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:58 pm 

yeah, i was thinking about returning to a stock fpr. I dont suppose anybody has one laying around??

I have had a bit of tuning experience with my subie, but SRs are relatively new to me. What sort of mods can the stock computer handle??? Eg, will it remain safe with a 3inch exhaust and aftermarket intercooler??
At what point is a re-map necessary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:51 pm 

Any updates datones??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:08 am 

a remap on a stock SR will net good gains, but having a cooler, exhaust etc should be fine, and not cause any significant dramas, get the fuel pressure back to standard - even if you use the sard to do that, just make sure the AFR's are correct or in the vicinity of normal and not running too lean (or too rich).

When you do get the ECU retuned, do it with a Z32 AFM (80mm), 550cc injectors - more headroom, and so on, that way it's all done once and once only, but as for actually needing a remap, not required yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:29 pm 

well, i picked up a stock fpr for 20 bucks and it seemed to have fiexed a couple of things... smoother idle and more response when blipping the throttle. I have a feeling the sard reg pressure was set a little too high.
I was reading thru the plms website and came across some basic setup techniques for the SR which i am working my way thru. Timing is my next issue. I checked the base timing with timing light and found that it was set at around 23deg (stock is 15), but also noticed that it was jumping around eratcially. I used the plms techniques to lock the timing in, but it was still behaving oddly. The cas took a knock in the accident and cracked the housing. I figured this could be causing some weird timing issues, so ive ordered another one and it should be here this week. I'll set it up back to factory specs and see how it drives.

Another thing that has entered my mind recently has been camshafts. When i had the rocker cover off, i noticed that the rockers had been numbered indicating that at some stage some one worked on the car and had the rocker gear off. Possibly to change the cams?? Do the factory cams have any markings on them that i could use to identify them?? maybe that was why the timing had been advanced. Oh the joys of of my mystery SR package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:13 pm 

Another weekend in the garage and another possible sluggish cause rectified. When i got the car it came with an apexi safc, which was wired in but the handset wasnt connected because he the previous owner didnt know how to use it.
When i transplanted the sr into the datto, i connected the safc handset so i could use it as a tacho, and didnt really think about how the rest of it was set up. Today i went through the settings and realised that it was adding fuel whenever i went over 80% throttle. Ive zeroed all the values, but will have to wait till midweek before i can give it another squirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:41 pm 

Hi what state r u in? - i mean Australian state : ) - your profile doesn't say.
I have vic plates DATONE....

Cheers, Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:23 pm 

update... well, i have been becoming more frustrated with the car in recent weeks... it still wont produce good power!!.. it's a simple equation .... powerful motor + small car = rocket ship, but not so in my case. The car just wont rev over 4000rpm. Ive tried a number of things but cant seem to hit the nail on the head... well that was until today :lol:
When driving the car, it literally felt like it was choking above 4 grand... it would max out and just hover, without making any power.
With the choking idea in the back of my mind, i set about making the car breathe. To keep the rwc inspector happy, i had fitted a standard nissan pintara airbox to the engine bay. I never thought about this being a restriction, i mean, if it flows enough for an rb30, you would think that it would be ok for the sr ( not ideal, but still OK). How i was wrong!!
As an experiment i swapped the airbox out with a HKS pod filter... and WHAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... 6000rpm here we come. Now, its a zippy car until about 4000rpm and after that it just starts to haul arse, and thats only on 7psi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:14 pm 

Good to hear tony, hope that indicator stalk i sent you was of help? cheers Tim :D