Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:33 pm 

looks like its coming along nicely.
is assembling a motor pretty straight forward?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:38 pm 

Ryan1600 wrote:
looks like its coming along nicely.
is assembling a motor pretty straight forward?
Cheers Mate,

Well, bottom end is.. not so much the top end..head for me is fair big pain in the arse and timing..but yeah if its a stock motor its pritty straight forward.

but for me, so far so good.

This is my first eva L series motor.

Cheers,

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:45 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I think I could rebuild one myself, but I'd be worried about the timing side of things. One thing wrong, especially with flat tops, and I'd have to start again! I agree with Lurch, good job on building your own motor! :thumbsup:

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm 

Cheers Guyz,,

Its a good learning experiance, i'd rather no i built it and now how to fix it if something was to go wrong and not having to fork out heaps of money to have some one do it for me :D well thats the way i see it..

Timing will be the biggest pain in the arse for me also.. with cam..lift..timing in general with dialing in etc (which btw i dont know how to do :? ).

Thanks also for the motivation,, making me wanna get the thing built :) still a few more things to buy .

Thanks Heaps.

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:50 pm 

dont be warried about the timing, just follow the workshop manuel and you cant go wrong, thats what i did when i built my first L18 last year and it started first go

1971 1600, mild L18, 5 speed

All I want is less to do, more time to do it and higher pay for not getting it done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:20 pm 

Yeah ditto above post. Follow the workshop manual, once you've done it once its easy. Only thing i stuffed up was put the dizzy back in with the rotor 180degrees out... after that was rectified it started and idled first crank :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:47 pm 

Put some plasticine on the tops of the pistons, then torque the head down, and you can see if the valves hit it when you rotate the engine. But dont do it too hard. cos they might still touch, and you could bend them if you give it a mighty crank around.

Where did you get the cam from?

If its a reground cam and your using the same timing sprocket, you should just be able to line it up as per the workshop manual or on your timing chain kit. Which from memory is 44 links around from the timing markers on the crank to the timing sprocket, when the number 1 piston is on it compression stroke TDC. Rotate the cam around so that the number 1 marker is aligned just before the notch on the head, where the sprocket sits, and fit it (thats from memory and I could be way off with this, so make sure you check it yourself!!!)

Yeah, the dizzy being 180 deg. reversed is a common problem, and you'll know when you try and start it! Make sure you pay attention when you put it in.

If Your using adjustable timing gear, then you need a dial indicator, then racer brown will tell you all about it but it becomes very technical to do.

oh yeah... where did you get your lash pads measured and fitted for the cam???

Then you need to get your dizzy scoped (if you want to do it properly) for the cam. not sure about electric dizzy though?

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:07 pm 

sh*t son.. its been a while :roll:

getting lazyier as im getting older... nah jkss :P

but haven't done much aye.

dicided to get of my arse and do something, finally got my new cam on its way, its in the post somewhere right about now :D !! so with that coming its getting closer to the topend of the motor being finished off .. yay!

so i thought i would get out and do some work on the gearbox i got with the motor !

Its a dog leg SSS Stanza 5 Speed, short box i think.

so i got it out of the shed and gave it a clean with a wire wheel on my drill and off i went.. scrubbed up heaps better that it was, just deciding if ill paint it black or try n polish it up...

while i had it out i thought i might see if it had any oil in it and drain it out.. well i pulled out the plug and not much came out.. just grey puss.. so i thought hmm cant be too good..looked at the plug (which happens to be magnetic) and noticed a fair bit of metal bits stuck too it so i thought i may aswell ripp of the bellhousing and all that and have a gander inside it.. and thats were im up to now :)

taken a few photo's cos i got a question :)

i also had to divise something to hold the gear box upright, cos trying to do it inbetween my legs was a bit hard and i didn't wanna drop it.. so i came up with something hehe a bit back yard you might say.. :twisted: 8)

[ img ]
Gearbox ^

[ img ]
Bricks :) ^

[ img ]

bricks + old chair i found (and for saftey i nailed it to dads cupboard :?) :D !! ^

[ img ]
[ img ]
Gear box in .. and it gets my seal of approval :D !! hahaha.

now.. question time.. do i have to take these 2 circlips out (see pic below) b4 i can remove the bellhousing ??
[ img ]

??

back out to the shed for me !

Cheers,
Stephen.

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:08 pm 

yep you will have to remove those two circlips before you can take the bellhousing off. I think i have got them out with two small flathead screwdrivers before

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:09 pm 

Hey Lampy,

Thanks for replying.

I went back out to the shed and had a crack at it and got the one of the main shaft but can't get the other one off.. then i thought it wont matter... left the other one on there and tryed to take the bell housing off but split the bottom section off and now one of the selectors is out of place and i cant get it back into place.. omfg..so i left it and got the shits.

now im pondering whether or not to just take it into a gearbox bloke and have him reco it or pull it apart and sus it out n rebuilt it :)

**** more $$$... bloody datsun is wat my dad said..

some more help would be muchly appreciated :D !!
calling on Nissanman for some info on these stanza boxes plzzz :hail: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Stephen.

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:55 pm 

i had a play around with a datto gear box last christmas holidays and unless you know what you are doing with gearboxes then i would recomend either getting another box or taking it to a gearbox person. it had me stummped :?

1971 1600, mild L18, 5 speed

All I want is less to do, more time to do it and higher pay for not getting it done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:43 pm 

Hey stephen
Not too sure which bit off the box you have got off.
If you have taken off the extension housing off (shifter end of the plate in the middle of the gearbox), it is quite easy to put back on again. You just have to rotate the housing about 90 degrees and then wiggle the shifter lots and try and slide it back on. It requires lots of wiggling!!

You will definatly need to remove that other circlip to get the bellhousing off

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:28 pm 

ok so i went out and had another play with the box.. wriggled it and turned it a few times..

CLUNK,,,

hmm reverse gear is now sitting on my shed floor :D ~~!! - o well.. sh*t happens.

im thinking.. im gonna get this rebuild by a pro.. or i have been suggested to get an R30 gearbox and get that rebuild because it would be stronger and last longer than the SSS box.

need some peoples opinions here i think :)

Cheers,
Stephen.

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

R30 box all they way. They are meant for a L24, so one will hold up fine behind the L20.

I've busted a Stanza SSS 5-speed behind a stock L18 in the Sunny. And I couldn't get bearings for it...

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:04 pm 

Hmmm..

R30 is starting to look better n better ..

Now i just gotta try n find one in Nsw...lol.

No U-pull around Newcastle anymore.. and all the wreckers around here have thrown alot of there "older Cars"..

Cheers,

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion