Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: IT BEGINS AGAIN.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:56 pm 

They're height adjustable seats, might be why they look high. Anyways I'm not tall and I like to see over my bonnet, , they're vw rails mounted to original datsun brackets with an adaptor plate. I'm away for work again but when I get home I'll put up some pics.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:10 pm 

Wow, time flies when you're in lockdown. Life happened and here we are. The car is pretty much finished. I forgot about posting, (my bad). Only thing left is roadworthy and rego, still have the rear door cards to make but, CBF'd at the moment. Car has been fully engineered also. SoonI can take it for some decent drives and sort out any issues.
I had plenty of dramas along the way, as many of us do. I've learnt more than I can imagine from this project. Wish I could say I learnt more than I spent, but honestly, the money spent saved me from strippers and alcohol......
If any one has any questions, please ask. I'll post more photos as I sort through them.
Cheers.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
received_4525971957494968.jpeg [ 105.4 KiB | Viewed 2323 times ]
[ attachment ]
20220113_132622.jpg [ 2.47 MiB | Viewed 2323 times ]
[ attachment ]
20211017_145845.jpg [ 2.77 MiB | Viewed 2323 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 pm 

Here are some more pics I promised from my last post, sorry!

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Front seat bracket.jpg [ 719.23 KiB | Viewed 2323 times ]
[ attachment ]
Rear seat upright install.jpg [ 735.33 KiB | Viewed 2323 times ]
[ attachment ]
Rear seat install.jpg [ 620.17 KiB | Viewed 2323 times ]
[ attachment ]
Fabricated front seat brackets.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 2323 times ]
[ attachment ]
Seat Brackets.jpg [ 582.81 KiB | Viewed 2323 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:24 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thanks for posting the update, it looks great!

Is it all running and driving well? How does it go?

I had also been thinking of those VW Golf seats, too...looks like they fit pretty well, thanks for showing how you adapted them...

What mods did you need to do to get the rear seat to fix in securely?

Great car and colour...nice one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:59 am 

Yeah it's running, it was running well until I drove home from the engineers. I don't understand exactly what happened but was driving from derrimut to vermont sth, I gave it a little in second (love the sound of the pod filter sucking in air) and it just wouldn't boost, the motor seemed to bog down and lose power. Pulled up at a set of lights and stalled. After 5 mins the car started again and drove fine. Now whenever I give it a little in 1st 2nd and 3rd it bogs down, and doesn't boost properly. Rpms don't seem to want to go over 4000. I've not dealt with this type of problem before but I'll speak to my tuner. Hopefully it's a simple fix. Anyway when it was going well I was pretty happy, numbers aren't huge but in a car this size....wow!
The rear seat was quite a pain, because it was hard, and the amount of ideas I went through to find something that would work and an engineer would hopefully pass.
I did this around the time my father passed away so I didn't take any photos of the cutting and shaping, sorry.
Please be advised fuel tank should be removed for this and it would be easier to re-upholster an original seat.

Rear seat base: stripped all the material and padding off both the golf and the1600 seat.
Cut the wire frame of the gti to match the 1600 seat, then put the 1600 frame on top of the golf frame or vice versa. They lock in together with a little manipulation.
Put the golf padding on and trip the excess off with a Stanley knife, go slow don't want to cut too much off.
Once trimmed and happy, wrap the material around and use the plastic clips that are sewn into the material to stretch and clip it onto the the steel frame. I also used stainless steel cable ties to tie the 2 frames together.

Rear seat upright: this was the part that took a while to think of. Especially because it's a split seat and actually not as wide as the Datsun. I had to make in-fills for each side of the seat.
I pretty much pulled the seat apart completely so I had the 2 metal backs, which had a square tube welded to it (from factory) for strength.
I then cut the backs down to the height that suited me because they are pretty tall. I may have cut off up to 5". Can't remember exactly. Then sat them exactly where I wanted them to sit. Marked where the wheel arches fouled and trimmed away with my trusty grinder.
I then sat the backs where I wanted them (an extra set of hands to hold things would be great here) now go to the boot and mark the Datsun frame outline onto the back of the golf seats.
Take the seat back out and where the square tube intersects where the Datsun frame outline is, mark and drill a 12mm hole all the way through. Do this in 4 or 5 different places on each half of the seat. Then put them back where you want them to sit in the car, mark the holes on the rear seat support frame of the Datsun and drill.
Stainless bolts 12mm× 75mm long with flat square washers 50mm by 50mm were then installed through the seat. All foam and padding was put back on to the seat back and trimmed to suit. Re- covered the seat, cut excess material off and used velcro to hold parts of it in place.
Mounted the seat backs and used another square washer with a round washer, spring washer and nut.
As you can see, pain. I wish I had opted for an easier option. The fronts, no problem go for it, rears re-uphoster something that fits easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:00 am 

Sorry that was so long!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thank you! Love a long post, so much detail....appreciate you sharing!

Your "boost" issue sounds a bit like fuel starvation....could be anything from a dud EFI pump to a non-vented tank cap to a collapsed fuel line...all the best with it; it sounds like it rocks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:28 pm 

It's funny you should say that, I just changed my fuel cap and it doesn't seem to be a vented type. Ill try changing it back, it was leaking whenever i went around a corner. I would not have thought this could be an issue. I'll suss that out, my fuel pump and fuel lines are good, hard lines and s/s braided lines with no kinks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:27 pm 

:oops: Well I went to get a roadworthy today, my front tyres stick out too far...... fair enough. While trying to source rims to put on the car, I found the problem with my fuel issue. Rookie error, mental note: always make sure that you use a gasket goo that is fuel resistant.
So now I need to clean the whole fuel system. Lesson learnt.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:00 pm 

So spent the week, cleaning out the fuel tank, finding rims and getting tyres.......... Finally the car is running fantastic again. Rego is now booked in for next Monday, I'm feeling so relieved. I thought the fuel lines would have been clogged up but they were clean as a whistle. The in tank fuel pump filter definitely does its job. Also put my exhaust tip on. What are your thoughts?

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
20220213_203230.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 2273 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:44 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Looking good!
How did you go with rego?
Must be loving being able to drive it now...good stuff, let us know how it's running and handling?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:29 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Looks awesome mate love the trim and colour. Are you in Melbourne?

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:59 pm 

Well, rego is still a no go! All was going well until the guy at vic roads looked at the date on the engineers report......
I honestly didn't read the fine print, 30 days. So Dec 10 to Feb 28 is a little bit longer. He was happy with everything except for that. I've gone back to the engineer and he's trying to sort something out but now my roadworthy is about to run out, I'm trying not to be angry about the situation because it's sort of my fault for taking so long.
I'm in the process of writing an email to vic roads to see if they can help me out.fingers crossed they can. It is fun to drive now I've cleaned the tank (unregistered vehicle permit). Handling wise, I haven't driven it like I own it yet. Diff has a slight whine and there's a few rattles but it's a 51 year old datsun.... doesn't matter how tight I've done the bolts up, it's gonna rattle a bit.
Yeah mate in Melbourne, eastern suburbs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:23 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sucks to hear about the rego mate hopefully you can sort it easily enough. I'm in eastern suburbs as well so will keep an eye out for it if your on Facebook we have started a page called Melbourne Datto's to organise local cruises and meetups :D

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:15 pm 

Sounds good, will check out Facebook.
19th April is d-day. Hopefully all goes well.