Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:25 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Hey all,
soon i'll be replacing the carpet and most of the rubber seals on my 1600 sedan.
Its been quite a few years since ive done this.

My last carpet came from Knox auto carpets
http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/datsu ... 1968-1972/

and my last rubber kit came from Rarespares.
http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares ... oduct=DAT8

This was quite a few years ago though and currently there are quite a few new companies selling these products aswell which has me wondering if they are worth considering.

I dont know of too many carpet companies yet other than knox but heres a list of some of the places i know of selling rubber seals atm:

http://www.datsport.com/
http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/
http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/
http://www.philsrotarys.com.au/
http://www.allmusclecarparts.com.au/
http://www.spectrumrubber.com.au/home
http://www.autorubbers.com.au/
Thailand Ebay sellers: maeklongshop, iyaikub, gira7777, atomboys, etc.

I'm interested in recommendations on what people found to fit/work the best and i guess price is a factor like always.
Please do not post any here-say like "i heard that so-and-so crack/don't fit" etc.
I'm just looking for recent opinions on what people actually found worked the best for them.
Pics are most welcome to be posted up.

Cheers,
Nick.

Last edited by nick on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:56 am 

Everyone goes on about how Datsport rubbers are really good, so much so that people from overseas purchase them over other suppliers.
I haven't used them personally though...

1982 Datsun Stanza GX
1966 Nissan Cedric Custom Six
1972 Volkswagen Beetle
1974 Toyota Landcruiser Stallion (SWB)
EziAutoParts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:24 pm 

Give Baz at datsport a go, or Datsun Land So Cal.

John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:31 pm 

There's also Spectrum rubber in Sydney and Scott's Old Rubber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:40 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Do not buy cheap ones from Thailand. I did for my RX-2 and aside from not fitting properly, they split within a few months with the car sitting in a garage.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

green200b wrote:
Do not buy cheap ones from Thailand. I did for my RX-2 and aside from not fitting properly, they split within a few months with the car sitting in a garage.
How long ago was this and which rubbers were they exactly?
I have read there have been issues with windscreen seals cracking in the past but apparently these issues were fixed???

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:16 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

DATO4 wrote:
There's also Spectrum rubber in Sydney and Scott's Old Rubber
Added Spectrum to the list in the first post. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:39 pm 

Nick, i highly recommend bill thompson auto rubbers in bayswater. He's owned 1600's before and the full kit has everything you need. The windscreen rubber has been fantastic and I've replaced the windscreen (due to stone cracks) and the windscreen guy said the rubber was as good as new. All seals, felt etc work well and have lasted for the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Thanks for the recommendation SR20Datsun.
I didnt realise there were so many companies now doing rubbers!
Added him to the list aswell...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:07 pm 
Guru

Just a few comments from the 510 realm forum.

Best bet is to buy from Datsport, and avoid the low price/quality of the eBay/Thailand stuff.

I bought a set from Datsport or my brother’s car last winter, and very much like them for fit and finish. No issues yet, as some of the Taiwanese ones have been known to fail. I have not heard a bad comment about the Aussie rubber.

Good experiences with weatherstripping purchases pretty much belong to Datsport in Aus.

I got the chromeless version from them (Datsport), both front and rear, though it was over 10 years ago. On that note, they are still holding up very well.

Tried Vintagerubber a few years ago. Only lasted 6 months. Have Datsport now. in mu opinion, the only stuff worth buying. I thought for the quality, very reasonable priced

I went with the datsport ones because they routinely get the best reviews from the DD crowd.

In the recent past, the only "good" weatherstripping has been the stuff from Datsport. If it weren't for the UV, even in NorCal, then the stuff above would likely be fine. But the UV is going to deteriorate the rubber quicker than you'd like. Australia has similar issues, and people here have reported good experience with Datsport.

Yes, it is more expensive, and shipping even moreso. If you are concerned about long-term durability, that's something you need to think about. If not, then probably not.

Right on thanks for the link. Looks like I'm buying from Datsport

The Datsport gasket after 9 years in Southern Cal heat and sun, and 3 years in VT hot and cold was pretty much as new.

First I got my weatherstripping from Datsport after reading about questionable rubber I decided to buy the door, window and other misc rubber from Datsport. They are really good to deal with.

X2 for the Datsport. It's been 10 years (for all of their seals) and no issues.

Smart money goes to Australia/Datsport for the rubber

Smart money is spent on the rubber bits from Datsport in Australia.

A number of us here, myself included, have used the Datsport pieces. I have had mine on the car for 10 years with no dramas. Rubber is still soft and supple....

i got all my rubber seals and stuff from datsport, seams to be the next best thing to oem.

I too just ordered nearly every piece of rubber from Datsport for a 4dr- you can't beat the service or availability. My dealings with them this month on that large order of parts was nothing but great, I can't say enough.
:D

i just had my windows installed the other day ,i have the datsport seal kit ,good price for a high quality rubber and the glass guy loved how nice they went in. :) 8)

Datsport kit has been in service on my car for 12 years with zero problems. I just replaced my windshield and the seal was still nice, pliable and reusable. This is after 9 of those years in the Southern California sun.

just had the window put in, using that gasket. fits perfectly!! the ppl that put it in commented about how good quality and well fit the gasket was. thanks again datsport! also the service is excellent :]

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:13 pm 

IMHO the best datsun rubber kits come from companies that owned datsuns themselves...

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 pm 

Bumping this topic. Could anyone help with part numbers for Spectrum rubber door seals to suit a Datsun 1600-510? Are these guys still in business? A local supplier near me has a heap of various rubber seals on order from them and has been waiting 3 months for his orders. I was hoping to get it through him as he specifies the sponginess/grade of the rubber (there is a proper name for this). He buys the rubber in rolls. I would prefer to view the rubber before purchasing.

My friend has the Rarespares door seals and boot seals and they are too hard causing the doors and boot to bounce when closed, you need too much pressure to close the doors and the boot sits too high.

I was under the impression that Spectrum supplies most of the smaller companies around, I may be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:40 pm 

The Spectrum number could be one of the following perhaps?

260 077
260 088
260 118

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:59 pm 

Spectrum rubber changed their name to MVR Industrial. They're in Penrith now instead of Dunheaved.
I bought their window glass seals. They are still working pretty well, but there isn't much to them.
The bailey channel i bought from... Clarke Rubber (i think) or possibly Datsport.
I bought my Door Rubbers, with properly moulded right angle corners, and both my windscreen surrounds from Datsport.
That was 7 years ago, at least. Still going strong. I recommend their products.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:09 am 

Bill Thompson Auto Rubber (he raced a datsun 1600 for a while). Their rubber kit is excellent and I highly recommend it.
Datsport also make a good rubber kit. I haven't used the kit, just a few odds and ends.