Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:53 pm 

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am musing over the idea of putting some nice buckets into the front end of my 1600 sedan. I used to own an EVO8 and those seats are AWESOME!! Looking for that KIND of thing.

Anyone got some ideas as to what is an easy fit and along the same sort of lines (comfort, look n GRIP) as the EVOs' Recaros??

Gonna have to fab mounts i think no matter what i choose... Some might just be more straight forward than others.

Any hints, tips, good mobs to deal with??

Last edited by REI600 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:00 pm 
Guru

Been here done this.
My advice is: -
measure the footprint of the stock seats and runners - that will give you the limits you can go to.
measure the height of the squab - don't exceed that height unless you are a shorty or you will have limited head room.
measure the width of the new seats including adjustment knobs/levers etc. - it is nice to be able to slide the seat fore and aft without restrictions.
I fitted some used seats from a late model Japanese car with subtle side bolsters.
MUCH better than the stock seats :)

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:04 pm 

REALLY appreciate the tips mate (^_^) It wont be one of the first things i do but, for me, it will be one of the most impact heavy changes to the car :)

Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:30 pm 

Ok... so the front seat situation is ok for now but I am wracking my brain for a decent option for the rear seat. I do not want to leave the rear seats as stock. I have seen a number of small "retro bucket seats" around and, I really like the idea of utilizing two of these in the back.

As I don't want to have 5 people in the car and I am wanting to upgrade while also trying to offer the rear passengers some lateral support. I figured, why not.

because they're damn near impossible to find!! That's why (^_^)

There are some options like the bride histrix (sp?) or similar but, the cost for them is more than the ones for the fronts. (sparco R100s).
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
r100.jpg [ 171.61 KiB | Viewed 8424 times ]
The ones that I see and LOVE, are apparently made and sold via a company in Japan called, BeFree. Picture attached.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
bucket.jpg [ 23.52 KiB | Viewed 8424 times ]
So, what I am looking for is a vendor that sells "retro bucket seats", preferably within Australia for a reasonable price.

This is my idea:
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
rear_seats.jpg [ 83.97 KiB | Viewed 8424 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:54 am 

For classic buckets sold in Aus, I think Cobra is your best bet

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/in ... PCID=10423

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:15 pm 

Anth510 wrote:
For classic buckets sold in Aus, I think Cobra is your best bet

[ img ]
I saw them yesterday. They look ok and they are the right price. As I am not building a race car, I don't need to buy RACE seats for RACE SEATS prices (^_^) How ever nice they look.

Thanks Anth510

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:22 pm 

REI600 wrote:
Ok... so the front seat situation is ok for now but I am wracking my brain for a decent option for the rear seat. I do not want to leave the rear seats as stock. I have seen a number of small "retro bucket seats" around and, I really like the idea of utilizing two of these in the back.

As I don't want to have 5 people in the car and I am wanting to

The ones that I see and LOVE, are apparently made and sold via a company in Japan called, BeFree. Picture attached.
Attachment:
bucket.jpg
So, what I am looking for is a vendor that sells "retro bucket seats", preferably within Australia for a reasonable price.
This is my idea:
Attachment:
rear_seats.jpg
The ones you see and love are based on an old 60s or 70s seat. I believe that be free is only a seller like yahoo ebay etc. The actual brand of the repro seat is autolook and i think a company called AMON used to sell them not long back. Apparently there are chinese copies about also. If you find some cool seats let me know as im after a pair of seats like this also. I didnt like the feel of the cobra classic seats not much support.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:08 pm 

RAT510 wrote:
If you find some cool seats let me know as im after a pair of seats like this also. I didnt like the feel of the cobra classic seats not much support.
If I do find something, I will do what I can to let everyone know. My goal is to simply offer the rear passengers of my car, some lateral support. In my old 808 sedan, the rear was a vinyl covered bench and, if I was to take a corner with any sort of intent, the rear passenger would HAVE to hang on, short of sliding back and forth...

I know if isn't "my issue" but, the people I will have in my car will be mates so... I want to them to feel comfy (^_^)

I will see what I can find.

Found this:
http://www.nostalgiccar.com/13_orijinal ... parts.html

53,500 Yen = About $560 AUD......... Not cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:22 pm 

For a street car, I'd personally go a second hand set of Scheel's. I've got a pair in my corolla, can't beat them for comfort and they are really supportive. I doubt you'd find any new though and second hand prices are fairly steep but you get what you pay for(if building cars was cheap everyone would do it)

Something like these. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1653507017

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:19 pm 

sik 510 wrote:
you get what you pay for(if building cars was cheap everyone would do it)

Something like these. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1653507017
RE: Get what you pay for -- As I have said, the fronts are sorted but the rears are the ones I am looking more into. I could go for something like a pair of Bride Histrix if I had no budget... but I do.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
Histrix.jpg [ 39.6 KiB | Viewed 8249 times ]
I will have to find something that has the look that I am after while also being within the price range that I have set out to be within. I am looking to a mate in Japan to maybe keep a sharp eye out on what's available over there.

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:41 pm 

REI600 wrote:
RE: Get what you pay for -- As I have said, the fronts are sorted but the rears are the ones I am looking more into. I could go for something like a pair of Bride Histrix if I had no budget... but I do.
Attachment:
Histrix.jpg
:
Sorry bloke!!! Not meant to sound like I was having a dig. More so, trying to justify the stupid money people are getting for them. I also hadn't noticed you'd sorted fronts. What did you end up going?

I'm not sure if you've seen the early HSV rear seats(VN-VS). They had a rear seat with two reccesed bucket type sections. Might be something to look at.

God those brides look killer!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:57 pm 

sik 510 wrote:
Sorry bloke!!! Not meant to sound like I was having a dig. More so, trying to justify the stupid money people are getting for them. I also hadn't noticed you'd sorted fronts. What did you end up going?

I'm not sure if you've seen the early HSV rear seats(VN-VS). They had a rear seat with two reccesed bucket type sections. Might be something to look at.

God those brides look killer!!
No sweat fella :D I didn't take it harshly sir.

I will end up with a set of Sparco R100s. Simple, they recline and they have a good name for comfort and safety. They also have a fairly wide array of mounting options as well which suits me as i will have to sort of... create mounting points.

I am thinking i might have to go down the custom rears road actually --> Getting a standard 1600 mounting frame and have the buckets "BUILT"... I have a mate that recons old interiors. I will hit him up to see what the project would set me back and for ideas. This is probably something he has already done.

Due to the 13bt that I plan to put into it, I want there to be head rests... just... don't wanna break people's necks.

My mate from Japan got back to me and said that he has seen seats like that but, wouldn't like my chances of getting them under 50K (yen). Certainly not into Aus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:27 pm 

Hey,

thought i'd post up some pics of what i went for...

I had some mid-2000s WRX buckets re-trimed for the fronts. Quite comfy, and the standard seat rails line up ok. Only thing is that the easy way to mount them makes them a little high when seated.. No real drama, but could be better..

[ img ]

[ img ]

this is what the rear ended up.. let em slide around.. :)
[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:09 pm 

toms_bluebird wrote:
Hey,

thought I'd post up some pics of what I went for...

I had some mid-2000s WRX buckets re-trimed for the fronts. Quite comfy, and the standard seat rails line up ok. Only thing is that the easy way to mount them makes them a little high when seated.. No real drama, but could be better..

this is what the rear ended up.. let em slide around.. :)
Looks awesome! Nicely done. That is something I was worried about. I don't want to be sitting higher than I have to be. The Sparco buckets for the front will be awesome in that regard, not as flashy as yours though. I regards to the rear, my idea is to have a couple of buckets made up out of the original seat skeleton or, if I can, couple of buckets fitted... see what happens. I have a mate that custom makes/restores seats for older vehicles. He is a whiz!

Looks awesome thought dude! Nicely done!